Motorway middle-lane hoggers to face on-the-spot fines

Just flew up the M60 and back my goodness keeping to the inside lane is almost impossible unless you like driving behind trucks. The term weaver bird is an understatement. I was out of one lane to the middle then back in. It's total bollox and it won't work. :(

Thank you miggy,I was starting to doubt my driving skills for a while there ;)

Sent from my MOMO12 using Tapatalk HD

what a odd thing to say, the crap could land in any of the 3 lanes as could the tyre casing

It could, but it seems more likely to land in the lane that carries the most lorry traffic.

That's where I hit it, and prefer to avoid a repeat if I can.

I tend to find and I am I sure I have also read that inside is usually cleaner due to higher volume of traffic picking up any debris

Don't you mean debris hit by a previous driver ? Depends where you are in the chain.

I tend to find and I am I sure I have also read that inside is usually cleaner due to higher volume of traffic picking up any debris

Don't you mean debris hit by a previous driver ? Depends where you are in the chain.

"It could, but it seems more likely to land in the lane that carries the most lorry traffic.

That's where I hit it, and prefer to avoid a repeat if I can".

sorry mate i apologise, i didn't know the laws of physics didn't apply to motorways :LOL: :LOL:

Last edited:
"It could, but it seems more likely to land in the lane that carries the most lorry traffic.

That's where I hit it, and prefer to avoid a repeat if I can".

sorry mate i apologise, i didn't know the laws of physics didn't apply to motorways :LOL: :LOL:

Always suspected you lived in a different universe.:LOL::LOL:

I don't think this has been thought through properly because
The middle lane hogger will now become an outside lane hogger
and totally FLICK UP the motorway system

Because hey that's not illegal

If common sense and courtesy prevailed amongst every driver that used the motorway this topic wouldn't exist, but, alas

If common sense and courtesy prevailed amongst every driver that used the motorway this topic wouldn't exist, but, alas

Courtesy went a long time ago. I am sick to death of flashing people out of side streets only to be given a blank expression in return. Now the question is do I join them and dont let anyone out which seems the norm? or do I carry on driving how I was taught with some manner?. You decide which way you all want to drive and I will gladly follow.

Courtesy went a long time ago. I am sick to death of flashing people out of side streets only to be given a blank expression in return. Now the question is do I join them and dont let anyone out which seems the norm? or do I carry on driving how I was taught with some manner?. You decide which way you all want to drive and I will gladly follow.
Yes miggy the over fifties are the best drivers. I know what you mean about lack of acknowledgement when you put yourself out for others

We all know some drivers cause congestion by hogging the middle lane for no good reason.
There are also common sense reasons for staying in the middle lane for extended periods, due to traffic conditions.
So, sometimes it's sensible, sometimes it's not. Assuming this will be policed by overhead cameras, how will a few
shots determine the difference, because the conditions can be complex.
I don't see how "guilt" be proven, that would need extended video of all the prevailing traffic conditions.

You wouldn't even know until you got a fixed penalty by post, and unless you had a dash mounted camera,
and archived the buffer, how could you prove your action was reasonable due to the circumstances ?
Most people will just pay the fine, and accept the points. An increased insurance premium will eventually follow.
Another half baked money spinner, for all concerned, except the motorist who eventually foots the bill.

We all know some drivers cause congestion by hogging the middle lane for no good reason.
There are also common sense reasons for staying in the middle lane for extended periods, due to traffic conditions.
So, sometimes it's sensible, sometimes it's not. Assuming this will be policed by overhead cameras, how will a few
I don't see how "guilt" be proven, that would need extended video of all the prevailing traffic conditions.

You wouldn't even know until you got a fixed penalty by post, and unless you had a dash mounted camera,
and archived the buffer, how could you prove your action was reasonable due to the circumstances ?
Most people will just pay the fine, and accept the points. An increased insurance premium will eventually follow.
Another half baked money spinner, for all concerned, except the motorist who eventually foots the bill.

It's all nonsense, and mostly unpolicable imo..

If I drive and decide to remain in the middle lane ( sometimes it is necessary, usually when the lefthand lane is clogged with HGV lorries, but there are other occasions ) then I will, I also won't be paying any fines, never have, never will.

I personally find it amusing when drivers are swerving all around the road changing lanes constantly thinking they are driving correctly.. it's very amusing.

It's an 'on the spot' fine - you won't get it in the post, you'll get it in your hand.

It's all nonsense, and mostly unpolicable imo..

If I drive and decide to remain in the middle lane ( sometimes it is necessary, usually when the lefthand lane is clogged with HGV lorries, but there are other occasions ) then I will, I also won't be paying any fines, never have, never will.

I personally find it amusing when drivers are swerving all around the road changing lanes constantly thinking they are driving correctly.. it's very amusing.

You have completely missed the point and I doubt you'll get it even with my T5 up your ar*e on full-beam and air-horns in over-drive :)

I am glad that finally this issue is being addressed middle lane 'hoggers' have annoyed me for years. If there is a necessary reason to use the middle lane then by all means use it, that's what it's therefore. But don't just use it because you don't have the confidence to change lanes, if this is the case you shouldn't be on the road anyway. I've lost count of the number of times I've been driving in the inside lane of a near empty motorway and I've had to move across two lanes to the outside lane because someone doing 70 thinks that the middle lane belongs to them.

But that said resolving this issue requires education more than it needs fines and penalty points. I've been of the opinion for a while that police do need to start pulling these people over, but fining them and giving them points immediately is going to cause resentment and possibly have the reverse affect. Instead why not consider the following course of action:

1st "offence": pull the driver over and educate them about the proper use of motorway lanes, no fines and certainly no points.
2nd "offence": they haven't learned the lesson yet, so educate them again, this time £30 on the spot fine, they can't argue they haven't been told.
3rd "offence": really, they still haven't learned their lesson, educate AGAIN, this time £60 on the spot fine.
4th "offence" - well if they still continue then points on their licence clearly are the only way they'll learn!

It's an 'on the spot' fine - you won't get it in the post, you'll get it in your hand.

I'm assuming it will be done by camera, like speeding fines, though we don't know yet.

My "on the spot" hand will probably be moving at 70+, unless a jam sandwich is in hot pursuit.....:)

Back