Cannot communicate with modem (Wantt o flash it)

poolfan

Inactive User
Reaction score
Trying to flash moem for first time.

I've connected to modem circuit board using MAX232, this then conencted to my laptop using a serial to USB cable.
I've changed my 10/100 adapter IP to that as stated in aynes Manual
I've started TFTP32 (although inputted no settings or asked it to do anything??)
I've started Hyperterminal & configures the COM connection as per Haynes Manual
When I apply power to modem (Ambit 250), power light comes on.

Am I not meant to be able to see the bott up on Hyperterminal? I see nothing in hyperterminal. also nothing on TFTP32 (although unsure what this for)

Any advice?

Any way to confirm if the modem is 'bricked'??

cheers

Trying to flash moem for first time.

I've connected to modem circuit board using MAX232, this then conencted to my laptop using a serial to USB cable.
I've changed my 10/100 adapter IP to that as stated in aynes Manual
I've started TFTP32 (although inputted no settings or asked it to do anything??)
I've started Hyperterminal & configures the COM connection as per Haynes Manual
When I apply power to modem (Ambit 250), power light comes on.

Am I not meant to be able to see the bott up on Hyperterminal? I see nothing in hyperterminal. also nothing on TFTP32 (although unsure what this for)

Any advice?

Any way to confirm if the modem is 'bricked'??

cheers
most likely it wires from ur max to the pins on the modem is wrong where is ur max from

Last edited:
with the the max232 board having the serial connection facing right, the 'plug' with wires is on left, the colours from bottom to top are green yellow, black, red.

On modem, I have placed the plug onto the 4 pins closest to the power connection on modem circuit board. The colour of wires from closest pin to power connection is: black green red yellow.

can you confirm if this is correct?

What would I see if modem is bricked - would it be different?

most likely it wires from ur max to the pins on the modem is wrong where is ur max from

would help a lot

you can get help here

with the the max232 board having the serial connection facing right, the 'plug' with wires is on left, the colours from bottom to top are green yellow, black, red.

On modem, I have placed the plug onto the 4 pins closest to the power connection on modem circuit board. The colour of wires from closest pin to power connection is: black green red yellow.

Last edited by a moderator:
or yeah, missed that query, sorryt.

got it from wayneeboy19117 from this site.

thats is correct m8 check that the wires r making go contact on the pin of the modem also check ur using the right com port on ur pc
and lastly r u using a null cable ( the 1 u use for flashing dbox , dreambox etc...) or rs232 m/f extension lead

I'm using a regular serial to USB cable to connect between the max232 serial port and laptop USB connection.

Will any USB connection do on my laptop (i.e. are they all the same)?
Should I be using a null cable between serial on max232 & USB on laptop (rather than a standard swerial to USB cable)?

I'm using a regular serial to USB cable to connect between the max232 serial port and laptop USB connection.

Will any USB connection do on my laptop (i.e. are they all the same)?
Should I be using a null cable between serial on max232 & USB on laptop (rather than a standard swerial to USB cable)?

can anybody give me a dig out here - as still can't communicate with modem!!

cheers

only thing i can think of as i've never use a a usb to serial before is did u install the drivers if it came with any and may be u should find a pc with a serial port and get a db rs232 m/f extension and try it on thers to just to rule out the max232 ior the modem isnt faulty

installed the usb driver software alright.

Has anybody actually used a serial to USB cable successfully?

ive tried with my usb to serial and it works ok
so it could be your settings, however many people
had problems with them when using a card
programmer

what do you mean 'a card programmer'?

If the modem is 'bricked', should I still be able to do/see something?

Can you ping the modem and get a response through the max232 connection to check settings?

Has anybody actually used a serial to USB cable successfully?

I use USB to serial with wayneeboy's max232 with no problems.

Check the wires are in the correct order and pushed into the plug correctly.

I've uploaded a picture of the connections - i think they are correct, yeah?

wires looks correct so the problem might lie with the serial usb connections, do u have a dreambox or any cable digibox u can test it with? also 1 way to test 250 is to set ur network card back to optain automatically and login in explorer 192.168.100.1 if ur greeted with the ntl page then the modem is most likely fine

Hi Poolfan

I have the same set up as you withe same problem. I checked my usb to serial lead all ok. Did you have any luck in getting it working.

Just checked the wiring. The hyperterminal works now but I get this message at the end without me typing anything in. "Console is Disabled by Vendor Profile". Any idea what this means.

Also another modem I flashed some time ago has stopped working. I only get the power and ethernet light coming on. The ready light flashes now and again. Is the modem nackered. Appreciate any help.

Just checked the wiring. The hyperterminal works now but I get this message at the end without me typing anything in. "Console is Disabled by Vendor Profile". Any idea what this means..

not connected properly is the usual and are you hitting 'p' quick enough

Also another modem I flashed some time ago has stopped working. I only get the power and ethernet light coming on. The ready light flashes now and again. Is the modem nackered. Appreciate any help.

can you access 192.168.100.1 as it sounds like a mac issue if went down

managed to flash the modem but not much luck placing a mac address on the modem. Using the ambit config tool 096. Have tried different combinations, forced tftp config, changed tftp server ip, changed tftp file name, no luck. In Pure N*L area. Used forced dhcp to get macs.

Back