Cable Noob

madmunky

Inactive User
Reaction score
Not had cable since I moved from my last place 4 years ago where I used my D2box to decode the channels, now moving back to an area which has cable and want to use my HTPC to do this so a couple of noob questions as its been awhile

Whats a good DVB-C card

Does VM work ok with Windows MC (I run Windows 7 MC & Media Portal)

Is there software cams for Windows or do I need to buy a cam (if so can anyone point me to what i need)

Think thats all for now, off to look up about cable modem speed ;)

Anyone?

After a little more searching Ive found vplug which i think only works with Media Portal and ProgDVB but not WMC is there any software cam yet for VMC

It seems the only way to get non fta channels working in WMC is to use a cam (Blue Zeta with Joker loaded) is this true?

Anyone?

After a little more searching Ive found vplug which i think only works with Media Portal and ProgDVB but not WMC is there any software cam yet for VMC

It seems the only way to get non fta channels working in WMC is to use a cam (Blue Zeta with Joker loaded) is this true?

only hardcam support in wmc but there is a way to use softcam bridging it through another app....g00gle for dvbsbridge....i use hardcam with vista mce so ain't tried the bridge method......think charlieram uses this method

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/210781/#post1551524

maybe he'll advise

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
only hardcam support in wmc but there is a way to use softcam bridging it through another app....g00gle for dvbsbridge....i use hardcam with vista mce so ain't tried the bridge method......think charlieram uses this method

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/210781/#post1551524

maybe he'll advise

cheers

Thanks, Will ask, done a bit of searching and its seems dvbsbridge will work but its kind of a bodge job.

If I buy a Fire/Floppy DVB-C card where can I get the Cam/Card/Programmer i would need as I would prefer WMC to work correctly rather than streaming the channels from DVBViewer/DVBDream

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Will ask, done a bit of searching and its seems dvbsbridge will work but its kind of a bodge job.

If I buy a Fire/Floppy DVB-C card where can I get the Cam/Card/Programmer i would need as I would prefer WMC to work correctly rather than streaming the channels from DVBViewer/DVBDream

Cheers

h**p://www.d*v*b*s*h*o*p*2*4*.net/product_info.php/info/p43_ZetaCam-Blue.html/XTCsid/2up4q3j1tm1ncqdjoc509tmib4

word of warning the latest cams (it seems) will not switch to jokercam when flashing with the joker firmware as 2 tracks inside the cam are cut...these can be reconnected, wire solder, conductive paint and there is a tut floating around......if u r getting need a programmer get a cas 3+ as this can flash the cam aswell.....

h**p://www.dvbshop.net/index.php/cat/c23_CAM-Module-CAS3.html/XTCsid/19c458ed9f38ca37b827d94a42b1b929

h**p://www.duolabs.com/cas3.html

any cam with the neotion chipset should be ok, i've got an icecrypt white (coloured black) as well as a blue zetacam

get a fun5 or a mosc from fleabay

Last edited:
h**p://www.d*v*b*s*h*o*p*2*4*.net/product_info.php/info/p43_ZetaCam-Blue.html/XTCsid/2up4q3j1tm1ncqdjoc509tmib4

word of warning the latest cams (it seems) will not switch to jokercam when flashing with the joker firmware as 2 tracks inside the cam are cut...these can be reconnected, wire solder, conductive paint and there is a tut floating around......if u r getting need a programmer get a cas 3+ as this can flash the cam aswell.....

h**p://www.dvbshop.net/index.php/cat/c23_CAM-Module-CAS3.html/XTCsid/19c458ed9f38ca37b827d94a42b1b929

h**p://www.duolabs.com/cas3.html

any cam with the neotion chipset should be ok, i've got an icecrypt white (coloured black) as well as a blue zetacam

get a fun5 or a mosc from fleabay

Thanks again,

Is there anywhere which sells cams pre programmed with joker?

hisat use to but not anymore.....

h**p://hisat.com/proddetail.php?prod=CAMMERLIN

If I got this...

h**p://hisat.com/proddetail.php?prod=TOOCAS3PLUS

Would i need the Zeta cam or could the cam which is included be loaded with the Joker FW?

If I got this...

h**p://hisat.com/proddetail.php?prod=TOOCAS3PLUS

Would i need the Zeta cam or could the cam which is included be loaded with the Joker FW?

theres no cam included this is a cas 3 plus (+) card and cam programmer the plus means it can program both cam and cards not plus cam as in u get a cam with it

OK my bad,

Will have to start getting all the bits together as moving in 6 weeks.

Wheres the best place to download software/fw/keys?

Another noob here.

I currently have a dbox 2 but was thinking of upgrading to a dreambox so that I can utilise the Harddrive feature. I then came accross these dvb-c cards and people talking about Media Portal. If I get a PCI dvb-c card, can I decrypt VM non-FTA channels . . . I have read a little on this but it isn't clear if I can use soley the PCI card and software or if I need to stream from another receiver.

Thanks for reading.

Lol yeah your need a PC, from what ive read you can do it all via software in Media Portal but personally I would prefer to use Media Center which means you need a Cam also

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response, I was wondering where I was going to put the PCI card lol.

Not to sure what a cam is but can you point me in the right direction please. Also do I need to take this into account when I am choosing my pci card, or will cams work with all cards?

Back