Buying a PC!! I got a headache!!

name750

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all i was thinking of putting together my own pc a while back but don't think it's really for me.
This one keeps crashing now and again and you's all gave me good advice before xmas but still gives be sh*t. Could have something to with budweiser being spilt into it once???

Anyway I got a brain ache trying to buy a PC.
I got suspened from ebay because of some german tosser who complaind cos i took more than three days to pay him!! so that's out for now.

Basically i want a fast P4 with 1000? ram and a decent graphics card.
Nothing way out but something that will burn dvds ok and play most games.
Then i can just stick my dvd burner and hardisks in the new one to save dosh.

Any pointers as to price and where to get it from.

I usually buy my parts from ebuyer.co.uk when im building a PC, best thing about it is people always leave reviews on stuff they bought and if it hasnt got review I usually dont buy it. So you could start here and look at what you need whack it in your basket and see how much your looking at.

Have a look here

good deals here

I'm an AMD man myself, but would advise you to go for pci-e instead of agp.

Whats your budget? and what are you mostly going to use it for?

No limit on budget really just want to get something good enough and not be gutted a week later.
i bought a laptop last month. If i had waited 2 weeks i could have saved myself 90 quid!!

Mainly i download stuff and used to put it on dvd for me mates. Now the pc keeps crashing whenever i burn anything and now it's started crashing while playing online games?? Ahhh!

want a good grafics card cos some of the games i got wont play.
This one is an amd which has been quite good. if it would stop crashing i's be happy enough with it,but it has been on 24/7 for the last 4 years and when it did burn dvds i would work it hard.
cheers

Get a dell pc direct from the site m8. And if you buy now you get double memory for free .

I'd advise Asus mobo(socket 939), athlon64 3500, WD4000YR HDD and nvidia pci-e.

If money no object, here's mine

Mobo: Asus a8n-sli deluxe £90
Ddr: Geil performance 2gig £160
Cpu: Athlon x2 3800 £210
HSF: Zalman CNPS9500 LED £35
G-card: 7800gtx £275
Hdd 1: Raptor 150gig £200 (os.apps.torrents.games)
Hdd 2: WD4000YR £155 (data.swap-file)
Case: Asus Vento Blue approx£80
Sound: Audigy2 zs £30

I love my pc's performance, plays all games at full, un-rar 700meg in 11seconds, I'll make a Win-avi movie if you like me to test.

p.s. Avoid the X2 for now, there is no software yet to take advantage of it and it's slower than the single core among other problems.

ECS P4M800-M7 Motherboard Skt 775 P4M800 800FSB DDR400
Intel Pentium® 4 3.0GHz Prescott (800MHz) 1MB cache Retail inc. Fan
1GB DDR400 PC3200 RAM (major brand)
256MB VGA Card with DVI
ATX Case
£274.00 plus Delivery

What do you recon.

I haven't got the foggiest idea of what all this sh*te means.
And i don't really want to learn either?

name750 said:
I haven't got the foggiest idea of what all this sh*te means.
And i don't really want to learn either?

lol.... I know nothing about intel. What graphics card is it?

You know nothing about intel and i know nothing about ANYTHING???
No particular makeof graphics card.
I just put a search in google for each part the guy said and it came out the cheapest way he was making a tenner on the deal??
This pc i got is some sort of amd sh*te and it's been fine for years and i've worked it to death. I added so much extra crap to it( and spilt beer inside it once!!) i think i sent it funky.

pc help

hi mate with intel i have had nothing but problems using a p4 3.2ghz until i stripped off that baby heatsink and fan and put a zalman on now no probs at all

just giving you the heads up that the retail fan and heatsink is crap at keeping the cpu cool

@today onlyoffer ends 1030 tomorrrow

Abit KN8 PCI-E S939 NF4 DDR400 SATA Raid Gbit Lan USB2 7.1Ch Audio
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 32/64Bit CPU S939 "Venice" 90nm Retail inc Heat Sink 256MB XFX GeForce 6800XT PCI-E SLi HDTV Dual DVI Out/TV
Scan Alpine 7104 Black Case Midi - Apple G5 Design with 400W aPFC PSU
2 x 512Mb PC3200 (PC400) DDR Memory (Major) Retail

Carriage £10.00

TOTAL £396.80

I'm sure you would be very happy with this setup

lots of variations available, if this is too much then perhaps:

Abit KN8 PCI-E S939 NF4 DDR400 SATA Raid Gbit Lan USB2 7.1Ch Audio
2 x 512Mb PC3200 (PC400) DDR Memory (Major) Retail
AMD Athlon 64 3000 32/64Bit CPU S939 "Winchester" 130nm *OEM* 256Mb XFX GeForce 6200 PCI-E with TurboCache (64MB)
Scan 3XS '2013' Black Silver ATX Midi Tower 400W Passive PFC PSU
Akasa AK-862 S754/S939 9cm Ultra Quiet Amber Heat Sink Fan - A64/FX53

Carriage £10.00

TOTAL £278.39

You could of course spend more aswel;)

TOTAL £396.80
that sound alright the little bit i do know,but is that me putting it together??
I don't think i got the inclination at the moment?

I found everthing i think?? except for the heat sink and not sure about the ram?
So how hard is it to put it together. A while back i was gonna make my own and thought it would be just plug everything in and away she would go.
Then i saw stuff about heat paste and shite and thought against it.
What kinda saving am i making in diy it myself??
Also is it worth going to say £500?
I usually don't go for the very latest cos you know your paying big money for something that will be cheaper next year.

Last edited:
Thats where this link comes in, if you can't do it yourself or you don't know someone who can put it together for you, your better off going to dell.

Thanks jay.
i think i will have a go at making one.
I usually get it things like this done after a bit of messing and there's a sense of acheivement when it's finally done.
I might learn something along the way as well.
Cheers mate, I'll let you know when i get it done or tell you about the expensive door stop i got???

Back