Sensible Topic Was it a special Jewish day yesterday or today?

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Reaction score
I am an insomniac and will only get a few hours sleep a night without medication.

I went out out at 2am this morning to get some shopping. The streets were lined with Jews, I'm quite close to the area they consider one of the best educational facilities. I used to live even closer.

First thing I noticed was a Jewish school or college and all the lights in the building must have been on, a bit further along the girl's dormitory had music going etc.

Got closer to Tesco and there was a group of Jewish lads in a skate park, with a ghetto blaster, laughing and dancing. One of them shouted something to me which, I think, included "Hello friend". I asked him if was a special day, he had to get me to ask a few times but eventually said "All days are special". I thought that was a clever response.

I laughed and said "Shalom", I bet he didn't guess I knew that one, but he repeated it twice on our depart.

Loads of Jews in Tesco carting off cans and whatnot. Walking about, even the ones with the big hats and curly sideburns.

Maybe a wedding?

The last Jewish religious celebration was in September. The next is Hanukkah which starts 29th November.

Quite a lot of Jewish people over your end @spector m8 , they are very polite and have loads of respect for everyone

Wish all the local drunks and scumbags had the same principles in the UK ;)

Quite a lot of Jewish people over your end @spector m8 , they are very polite and have loads of respect for everyone

Wish all the local drunks and scumbags had the same principles in the UK ;)
Quite rare that these orthodox ones interact with non Jews, I couldn't see anything in the calendars.

Something important must have been happening though as it was very busy. This was 2~3AM, it was like Purim, but that's in February.

Interesting that when I lived in Bensham (where the really big synagogues are) that they don't seem to have any road sense until they are about 40. The amount I have seen go up car bonnets on Coatsworth road is unbelievable. Priority is getting the skull cap (Kippa?) back on.

There's always talk about people wanting to integrate both ethnic and religious and live together in lovey dovey harmony but there's more chance of me catching a fart in a sieve.
The vast majority of these groups don't want to infact there's large parts who actually shun "outsiders" into their ethic religious groups.

Not racist, a fact
I seem to remember some while ago were a large Jewish community in London tried to have a 2 square mile area sectioned off so they could govern their own area
Schools
Police
Hospital
Housing
Etc
And believe it or not it was considered in the House of Parliment

A country within a country
Of things to come were the laws of the land only apply in the non designated areas
A scary but true thought

Hasidic and Ultra-Orthodox Jews form a fairly small proportion of the total Jewish community, and tend to keep themselves to themselves.

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist about them tbh.

I'm not arsed tbh, it's London were anything goes so my bill grundys will remain twistless

Back