Build me a pc

It will tell you what each rail is pumping out on the side of the PSU, you will have to take the side of the case off.

You can run both onboard and a seperate card but only if your bios allows you to do so, and I have no idea which ones do and whcih ones don't mate.

What card are you thinking of installing?

Most motherboards now only come with 1 IDE port, each IDE port can handle a max of 2 devices, hence the need for a convertor if all your drives are IDE.

Hummm you can get a convertor can you ? I have an ide storage drive and when I try to copy it over to the sata over wireless it foooks files, might be worth plugging it in if I can get a convertor as an extra drive ;)

Something like this mate, never used one myself so don't ask how much they stick out the back of the drive.

This one is only 1.5gb though, most SATA drives run at 3gb's now.
http://www.lindy.co.uk/sata-converter-for-ide-drives/51020.html

Personally if you have a free PCI slot I would get a card, find one with an eSATA port on and you have external SATA as a bonus.

£9 + P&P
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pixmania-controller-internal-ports-external/dp/B000YST3UQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1209036285&sr=8-10[/ame]
Pixmania - PCI controller card 2 SATA internal ports / 1 SATA external port / 1 ATA IDE port

Again only 1.5 but you won't really be using these for SATA as you will have plenty on your board and the eSATA is a bonus if your board does not have one.

Thanks re power supply found a site Antec.com - support - psu calculator, enter computer componants and it shows psu required it came out at 398 i think i need a 450+ psu. Thought i would go with the on board graphics to start with but was looking at a Ge Force 8600 GT 512mb DDR2PCI-E but may decide on a more expensive one when the time comes any suggestions at less than £100

Do not get an 8600 series, with the price of cards dropping by the second you can get a very powerful card like a 3850, 8800GTS or 8800GT for about £80 or so.

Only 2 weeks ago thse cards were going for £120+, tht is how much the prices have dropped. :banana:

If you have £100 to spend then you should be looking at something liek this:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-053-LT&groupid=595&catid=683&subcat=
That is one amazing card.

Or this:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-086-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927

At the moment those are your best buys.

You could look a the 3850 models or the 3870, the 3870 is probably the best of the other 3, but that 8800GT 512mb above from the "B" grade section is amazing.

I have bought "B" grade products from them before and 90% of the time it just means that the box is tatty or some cables are missing or something, which is nothing really for such a great bargain!!

And check out the OCZ 500W stealth stream PSU, for just over £30 it will run a quite powerful setup with ease.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135159

Thanks I will follow your suggestions 500w psu and the GeForce 8800 which is now down to £82.25inc vat at overclockers - i am on hol next week and intend to build it I will let you know how it goes - Thanks again

EzCool are cheap nasty PSU's.

Yeah it says 700W and dual 12v rails at 20amp but I can 100% guarantee that it will be lucky if it pushes 400w in the real world, and be very very flakey at that.

EzCool are a bit like the Qtec PSU's, cheaply built and mega unstable.

Ok for a budget machine with onboard and such, but if your putting anything decent in there I would stick to a higher quality PSU which gives true amps and wattages and stays stable and efficient.

For just over £30 that OCZ I linked is the best buy you can get for that sort of cash. £50+ quality in a £30ish PSU.

No sure of the actual output but it runs my system of p4n-t deluxe with e6600 oc 10% and my 2x oc2 8800gts oc'd by 10% 4 external fans 3 HDD 2 opticals DVD-RW burners all without any probs m8

not flakey in any way

i'll get my dvm on in later and let u know

Last edited:
Flipping heck mate, you running SLI on it.

Also those dual 12v rails, if they are shared then you may encounter problems, if they are independant then that will probably be the reason it is running fine.

I am not saying they are not good at all, but I would not put them into any system worth over £200.

It would be nice if you could get some readings off it just to see what they really are pushing.

On another forum a guy kept getting spiked off his, it kept blowing his IDE hard drives with in 24 hours of putting them in.

But you get good and bad from every company, even the best have failures from time to time, but EzCool are basically a budget company with cheaply built PSU's.

A bit like tyres on a car, you pay for the best, or you can get some that look the same butcost less and last half as long on the tread, or you get remoulds and the tread falls off at 110mph, lol.

Last edited:
Actually they may not be as bad as Qtec, with them being new I may have jumped the gun a little, but still not a high quality piece of kit and I would not run what you are with one.

For £40 you can get much better. It's like going for a Ferrari but deciding that a ford Focus is better because this particular focus has a 4.5 litre engine comapred to the 3.5 of the Ferrari and both costing about the same.

Get the OCZ mate, they offer a fantastic swap out guarantee also, meaning no matter what if it does fail they will send you a new one out straight away, no messing about with repairs or anything, and they are guaranteed >80% efficient which is pretty hard to beat by any manufacturer.

Sorry about the delay m8. i was trying to get a current shunt off my dad. He less organised than i am and that is saying something.

When he find it i will post the current output.

I only brought it in an emergency when a 400W i was borrowing from my mother to replace the 650 i had previously died. Due to a overheating bottom graphics card. since i cut a huge hole in the bottom it has vastly improved.

I hope this one lasts longer. although u probably rite. I should really go out and buy another asap

Lol, please don't let me scare force you into buying something you don't need. After all this could hold up and do well for you, as with a lot of other customers, but when you showed me what you had running on it, I gotta admit that it is a little scary. Even if your whole setup does not take more than 450W in the real world it is all about stability of the amps down each rail. And on top of that whether each rail really is what it says it is.

EzCool are a new company and their stats seem decent, 700W, dual 12v rail with 20a on each rail etc. But then you see the price, these can be had at Amazon for £29.95, so then alarm bells have to start ringing. Budget PSU with a lot of marketing ploy, Qtec ringsd a bell, and you must have heard of them?

Like I said I reckon it will push maybe 400W and I would love to know if the dual rails are seperate or combined.

All in all it will be fine for most people, but I think your pushing things a little too far with that setup. You have a fair few hundred quids worth of stuff in there mate, on a setup like that you need something half decent, I would personally get the OCZ 600w for SLI, or the 500w for a high end single card. Or to step up a class, Corsair are the best bang for buck you can get.

But a 700W PSU for £30 must say something.

Then again I may well be proven wrong and in a year or so time EzCool could well be the new budget king of PSU's. ;)

Don't worry m8. i gunna check it out before i buy a new one

i will let u know about it as soon as i next see my pa.
i not really the electronics man. that his field. i fix pc's and drive lorries. :)

It does say dual rail on the front of the box.
Low noise <20dB + low ripple
OVervoltage protection on +3.3 +5 and +12
Short circuit protection
over voltage + over current + overload+short circuit protection
intel v2.2 complient
100% burnin, vibration, hi-pot, current leakage tests

as i say it been rock steady since i cut a hude hole in the bottom of the pc.
YTF do they make it that the bottom SLI card is 5mm from the bottom of the case

I wonder if they sell angle grinders as well?

Last edited:
Hi I decided on a 500w (Quiet ATX PSU) found this at Microdirect I think it should be alright but it only cost $16.09 but had 2 good reviews I hope it will be after you quote £30 for a PSU
12cm Big Fan,Main Pin 20+4Pins and 24Pins available,
SATA PIN ( 1.2V 600W&650W and all 2.0V ) Automatic Fan, Control System Super Silent Design EMI Reduction Design, Approved by UL, CSA, TUV, CB, CE, S, N,D,FI & FCC Support Intel &AMD, Support Over Ghz Pc Short Circuit / Over Voltage / Over Current Protection 100% Burn-In Test / Hi-Pot Test /Vibration Test / Leak Current Test Top New Version ATX 12V VeER. 1.

Hi I decided on a 500w (Quiet ATX PSU) found this at Microdirect I think it should be alright but it only cost $16.09 but had 2 good reviews I hope it will be after you quote £30 for a PSU
12cm Big Fan,Main Pin 20+4Pins and 24Pins available,
SATA PIN ( 1.2V 600W&650W and all 2.0V ) Automatic Fan, Control System Super Silent Design EMI Reduction Design, Approved by UL, CSA, TUV, CB, CE, S, N,D,FI & FCC Support Intel &AMD, Support Over Ghz Pc Short Circuit / Over Voltage / Over Current Protection 100% Burn-In Test / Hi-Pot Test /Vibration Test / Leak Current Test Top New Version ATX 12V VeER. 1.

Mate I think you misquoted me.

I said the best buy is the OCZ 500W stealth for just over £30 if your runnng a decent card and setup (this is the best buy for any setup not runnign SLI!!!), SLI will obviously be safer with more watts, 600W OCZ or a nice Corsair will do.

But! Any PC running onboard and hardly anything else, i.e. not many usb devices, not 5 hard drives, no external drives etc. etc, then a cheap generic PSU is not a problem unless you get spiked, which it does happen due to the cheap build quality, but it happens few and far betwen, so most peeps will be ok, hence my budget builds which I list often on this forum do include cheap generic PSU's within the case.

If you can give me a link to the PSU and let me know what setup your running then I can advise.

Regards,

Col.

Back