Build me a pc

How much RAM did you get?

<3Gb either 32bit or 64bit XP.
>3Gb 64bit XP or Vista.

I'm sharing 64bit XP Pro on the Hub, but my PC isn't booted - was having router issues yesterday and I'm at work atm. With me being on ADSL (BT) it might be quicker to post it to you, or I could PM you the nzb?

The other software doesn't have to be 64bit. The 64bit flavours of XP and Vista will quite happily run and install 32bit programs. Although if running a 64bit OS you would probably want 64bit security programs (AV etc).

IDE hard drive

Lol, Dutcho I think I will apply for one of the Quashqai jobs at Nissan and pull your head off when I get there lol, I spent 30 minutes speccing that up, in your wage terms that would be £17 for minutes work, you get paid close to that at Nissan don't you?

Speaking of Nissan, I have a few mates that work there who you will almost certainly know. (Please tell me you work at Nissan lol, I am just going off what I think I read ages ago).

Seriously mate, do you really want to stick with AMD, as much as I like them they are just not cutting the mustard yet. If you really do then forget that X2 and get a quad core Phenom, they are only about £130 and will do you perfect.

And yes put the 500gb hard drive in, for that price you would be silly not to and that OCZ PSU is fantastic and extremely stable for just over £30.

I thought you wanted an ubber system? Go on put that 4gb Patriot ram in there, you know you want to!!! If not then get some of this:
OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC with LIFETIME WARRANTY
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/116755
£30

Also get this motherboard, it has awesome onbaord graphics, one of the best ever implemented into a motherboard and also uses a nice audio chipset:
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G Socket AM2+ onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142347
£55

Processor will slot nicely into that board and is cheaper than I thought:
AMD Phenom Quad Core 9550 Socket AM2+ 2.2GHz 4MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143261
£120

Then add £48 for the Samsung 500gb hard drive., £33 for the PSU, £16 for a DVD burner and about £15 for a case.

Total cost is less than £320, and if you feel the need for more RAM you can add another matched pair at a later date.

Also regarding an OS just PM me if needed.

Would I be abke to connect my dvd writer and a dvd player plus an IDE hard drive I also have a box with a 400w power supply would that be enough?

Sorry to ask another question but if i bought a graphics card for the system would i have to disable it in bios or would they run together.
PS m/board + memory + processor + hard drive total £234.37 at microdirect

Yes 400w would be enough, even a low quality generic one will be ok, but be wary if your putting a decent graphics card in there.

What connections are your drives? If they are all IDE you will need either a PCI-IDE card or get a IDE-SATA convertor so you can plug one of them into one of the free SATA ports.

Most motherboards now only come with 1 IDE port, each IDE port can handle a max of 2 devices, hence the need for a convertor if all your drives are IDE.

Also that price over at Micro Direct, are they for the exact same models as I listed and inclusive ofVAT and delivery?

Last edited:
System running mate, using it now, just need to copy all my data back over to the 500 gig drive from my old machine and then install all the software.

It seems quick enough though ;)

Hi - exactly the same items and having researched on the net the memory and motherboard are both recommended
I have priced at microdirect but will go and collect about 10 miles away so no delivery charge included which probably evens up with the ebuyer free delivery.Why beware if i use a decent graphics card? will i need higher rated power supply i thought they all ran at about the same voltage

It all depends on what your 12v line is on your 400W PSU, once upon a time different parts of a PC were assigned to both the 5V and the 12V, but now almost 100% is running through your 12V line leaving the 5V line almost redundant.

This means if you have low amps on your 12v line then you could be in trouble with a power hungry card, but I am talking a 8800GTS or above or the 3870x2 or running cards in crossfire or SLI.

You really want at least 18 amp on your 12v if your running a single line, 15/16 amps are fine on dual rails. If your running a PSU with something like 15amps on a single 12v line and the rest of the 400W are made up via the 5V line then it is a weak PSU, will be fine to run the setup but may be in trouble if you put a powerful card in there.

This is an old chart but it gives you an idea of how different cards use different amounts of wattage.
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000662.html

how can i tell what is running on the 12v line whatever that is and what are dual rails?
from previous posts - all my hard drives are ide i will get a pci card - can i run onboard graphics with another graphics card?

Back