Build me a pc

rought looking at £350

for encoding its intel core2 quad hands down..
sata ii hdd
4 gb ram if with 32bit or more for 64 bit..
ram is cheap as chips..

Hi the 500w (Quiet ATX PSU)is from microdirect .com - I have been putting it together into a box i got from son in law probelm is the front usb connectors have four wires with individual connector two with a circle with a 2 inside and a plus sign on one and minus on another the third has vcc on it and the fourth has ground on it the manual says
F_USB1/F_USB2/F_USB3/F_USB4 (USB Headers, Yellow)
The headers conform to USB 2.0/1.1 specification. Each USB header can provide two USB ports
via an optional USB bracket. For purchasing the optional USB bracket, please contact the local
dealer.
Pin No. Definition
1 Power (5V)
2 Power (5V)
3 USB DX-
4 USB DY-
5 USB DX+
6 USB DY+
7 GND
8 GND
9 No Pin
10 NC
the pins for each connection are intwo rows 1-3-5-7 and 2-4-6-8 but which of the pins go where

Thanks I will go and do it now- I disconnected them switched on and it booted ok so I am halfway there- whats the best way to partition the 500gig HD say 5 x 100gig will fdisk do it

i have heard its not good to have more than 2/3 partitions, i have been told to only have one for o/s and one for your files.. ive never had any probs with my disks keeping to this rule

U can only create 3 primary partitions on a HDD on intel based systems.
after that u will need to create a extended partition and logical drives.

I used to have 5 OS's on 1 HDD(1 main and 4 to test software compatibility) here is how i set them up

On 320 GB HDD
  • 160GB - Primary Partition 1 - Windows Vista Ultimate x86
  • 60GB - Primary Partition 2 - Windows Vista Ultimate x64
  • 40GB - Primary Partition 3 - Windows XP Pro x86
  • ~60GB - Extended Partition divided up into 2 logical drives
    • 40GB - Logical Drive 1 - Windows XP Pro x64
    • ~20GB - Logical Drive 2 - Windows Vista Ultimate x86

to be honest I would not use extended partition if u can avoid. Did not cause me any problems (but it adfd complexity and increases chanceds of something going wrong)

eventually i opted for 3 Primary partitions

• 200GB Vista x86
  • 60GB XP x86
  • ~60GB XP x64

Thanks all - - I think I will go for 3 at 200 and 2x 150 I presume I can use fdisk to do it. I had dual boot on my other computer but had to connect a wired keyboard because when Vista loaded to the boot options it did not load the usb wireless keyboard is there any way round this and one last one I have vista ultimate is that running as a 32 bit program and if it is how can I try it as a 64bit program?

Thanks all - - I think I will go for 3 at 200 and 2x 150 I presume I can use fdisk to do it.

Yep fdisk will do it. incase u need here is a win98bootdisk

I had dual boot on my other computer but had to connect a wired keyboard because when Vista loaded to the boot options it did not load the usb wireless keyboard is there any way round this and one last one

Did u enable USB keyboard and mouse supprt/emulation in bios??

I have vista ultimate is that running as a 32 bit program and if it is how can I try it as a 64bit program?

Not entirely sure what u mean here. Progs are either x86(32bit) or x64. vista x64 runs x86 code perfectly well but cannot as far as i know change it from 32 to 64 bit.

Thanks i have a 98 boot disc but I booted with it and at the a> typed fdisk this then reported an error i went into bios and it does not find the had drive only the dvd's on IDE 1 the hard drive is connected correctly I think the cable is connected to the motherboard and the power connector to the drive I have had no dealings with sata before what do I need to do to get it to work I have tried it set as master and then with no jumper on it. A message appears ACHI Drive Init. then ID WITH 0000 beneath it and Device Attached and beneath this Samsung HD501LT ------ HELP

Sata's can be a nightmare. Leads I find are really shit.

Make sure the plug is well pluggd on.

Most sata motherboards are defaulted to go sata raid. (you may have some for raid and some for non raid)
Should be a setting somewhere in bios.
Post mobo make and model and someone will let u know.

Thanks I changed various things in bios and found that it was this AHCI mode I changed to Native IDE and the bios found the drive it then gives a chance to change to AHCI when it is booting but you have to be quick and I missed it but I can get it next time- only took 3hrs to find the solution!!!! SHOULD BE ALRIGHT NOW THANKS ALL

Back