Bought a sat system off Ebay

stihl260

DW Top Poster +
Reaction score
Hi All
Not sure what sat section to post this in , so no doubt someone will point me in the right direction or mods will move the post.
So here goes:
I bought this off Ebay: Portable Satellite Dish 78cm Triax on eBay (end time 15-Nov-09 16:41:33 GMT)
The idea is to use this when we go camping rather than relying on getting a decent freeview signal for the telly.
The seller had it up at a buy in now for £80 , but got it cheaper as you can see.
I assume i got a bargain?
Now i know nothing about satelite systems apart from seting up a sky dish many years ago and that worked ok.
When i bought the set up i knew that there were no instructions, but i may need some advice on setting up testing etc.
It came with a Large Dish 78cm triax, a Decent tripod stand mount etc .
A konig satfinder and the receiver box is a Skyline DSR 4000.
Just need to know what satelite to try & find and how to set up the tuner.
Use of the sat finder would be useful.
At the mo the dish is set up in the back garden, pointing roughly in the same direction as my old sky dish.
This is not my field of expertise, so any help or advice to get it working would be appreciated.
Regards
Sthil260

You'll only get FTA channels regardless of what you point your dish at m8.

Welcome to German QVC ;)

You'll only get FTA channels regardless of what you point your dish at m8.

FTA is all i need, as its just a more reliable alternative to using a normal freeview antenna.
Alot of camp sites are in weak signal areas, so all im after is the normal freeview channels.
Have seen some motor homes and caravans using sat systems these days on site, so thought i would join them on the cheap!

"At the mo the dish is set up in the back garden, pointing roughly in the same direction as my old sky dish"

aint gonna cut it with "roughly"

use dishpointer for exact settings

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

fill in your details and select what sat u want eg. sky uk is at 28.2e ASTRA 2

thanks for that, i have a compass built in to my phone , so should be easy to set up.

Just wanted a user guide on the sat finder meter, but will google one.

B&Q do a similar setup for £40:CRYBABY:

B&Q do a similar setup for £40:CRYBABY:

they do, but with a smaller dish ( i need the bigger dish for use in europe next year) and the B&Q stetup has a normal wall mount.
The tripod mount i got with it is worth £50 on its own, so im happy anway.
I could have bought a suitcase system from maplins, but would still have had to buy the tripod mount for camping.

Back