BKwith out removal of tsop48

adam01 don’t buy from this guy, there is someone making ones which are a lot more professionally made for £25 Inc delivery, which I can confirm work very well and the wires are thin enough to solder effortlessly onto the jtags points with no extra solder required. I emailed the guy on eBay a few days ago and he offered to make me one for £15, so he’s obviously inflated his prices too.

just went to have a look on e-bay for those jtag tools and cant find any. i think that e-bay has clocked onto it and are stopping them. they stopped my auction for two chipped analogue boxes aswell. cheeky monkeys!!

How can they stop JTAG interfaces being sold?

They are a standard device for use in the electronics industry, it's a bit like stopping the sale of soldering equipment on eBay too.

It's only a few components and some wires, get a book on beginners soldering or read up on the net.

Nice Tango Man, first one I’ve seen that’s incorporated into the parallel connector, looks tidy!

got mine delivered the other day, {hopefully i will be trying it out on a 1000 model in a few days}---------still swotting up on the gdb debugger software

{dont want to blow the arse out of the processor now do i}

Last edited:
As im sure some of you are aware the 4001x boxes have now been cracked…
I’m taking this straight from another forum posted by KMS
Gust from the Shack deserves all the credit!

Firstly... to quote the success stories...

Gust just finished the simm mods read with digital meter ird and bk first time perfect great work thanks this has saved me hours of soldering i used to hate doing the attys

Just finished mine and hey presto correct IRD and BK!
I can't actually beleive it myself, but YES IT DOES WORK!

The relevant threads of interest have been included in this so far.
Please find attached a .pdf of the circuit. Its not an easy one to do, but once the SIMM card is made, all other 4001 is very easy. The pictures of the PCB have been included too.

Your Shopping List

PARTS NEEDED TO GET IRD AND BK
1 x 25 way male d-type
2 x 9 pin male d-type
1 x 9 pin female d-type
40 way ribbon cable
1 x spare simm card
3 x 74hc373
1 x 74hc541
1 x strip board or pcb board ( strip board mite get a little messy but it can be done on it)

PARTS NEEDED TO GET BK ONLY
40 ribon cable. half of meter.
2 x 74hc541n
small strip board.
2 x male 9-pin d type
1x female 9-pin d-type.
1x 25 pin d type male.

you have to solder the ribbon cable to the simm card. where is say simm connection on circuit there is a number so you need to solder one of the ribbon cabe to that number

ie.
0v =pin1 on simm other end to circuit.
3.3v = pin 3 on sim other end to circuit.
a0 = pin 23 on sim other end to circuit.
ect.

all so i missed it out on circuit pin 25 of 25way d-type connect to 0v
and ic1,ic2,ic3 oe pin gose to 0v.

QUESTION
Ok - finished to circuit !!! Phew - I can't believe how many wires there are !! It looks like a real tangle.

Now - how do I use it ???

Also gust do pins 15 , 16 amd 19 on ic3 need to go anywhere ???

At the bottom of the diagram it says " Box links need to be done before connecting circuit to digibox" . What does this mean ?? Does it mean either of the two 9 pin male connectors need plugged into the female one ??

Why two male connectors on the simm ?? Is one for writing and one for reading ??

Also - I just used a simm from an old broken 4001 , I presume this is ok !

ANSWER:
it's not a 4 chip simm by any chance?

pin 15,16, 19. are not used. they are on the writer but i've only released the reader 4now.

there are two atmel in the 4001 boxes so to make to circuit as easy as possible when you read one chip. one of male d-type is connected to female and to read the other chip you change the male d-type over..

box link are 5 wire that need to b solder to the main pcb to stop the box reading the atmel.

QUESTION:

1. Do the Yellow points in "BOX MOD PIC2" goto yellow points in "BOX MOD PIC1"???

2. I'm guessing the SIMM mod Yellow/Blue don't have to be linked to the box yellow/Blue?

3. After step four - turn the box on?

4. After step ten - Do we undo the "BOX MOD PIC 1 & 2"?

ANSWER:
the box mods need to been done. for both ways.

if you just want the ird & bk then you can just mod the simm with a few bit of wire and do box links, but missing the byte links on box mods. sorry missed text out on the pic, but i'll redo later.

or if you want the full dump of the atmel. you can use the circuit and qbasic file.

QUESTION:
ok little confused here guys. If I connect the links as shown in the 3 pics and do the modification to the simm as shown in the simm picture. I would be able to get the boxkey by measuring the points shown with a voltmeter, correct?

ANSWER:
yep

you would get the ird frist.
then by moving top red wire to yellow piont. you have the frist part of bk
then move top red wire back to blue point and move bottom red wire to yellow point to get second part of bk.

so do all the mod as shown and get the ird, match it to the ird on scart then get the bk by moving red wires

QUESTION
Can you tell me where I am going wrong, this is what I did .....

1)Made the board mods as per pictures 1 2 and 3

2)Connected my simm circuit to the board

3)attached the 25 pin port to the parallel port of the laptop

4)connected two of the nine pin plugs together

5)Since I am using windows XP, I booted to dos using a boot disc

6)powered on cable box

7)ran qbasic version 1.1 using the command x:\qbasic /run in circuit flash reader software..bas

8)It asked for a filename , but whatever I use it just defaults to the blue edit screen and says Path/File access error.

Am I missing a file ?? or loading it wrong ??? What is the brd file in the zip for ??

ANSWER:

rename the sofware to 4001.bas

Qbasic is for dos and doesn't like filenames longer than 8 chars (and def no double full stops or spaces).

Try making a directory on your c: drive.... i.e. QB
Put everthing in there (including 4001.bas)
Goto a dos prompt

c:
cd\qb
qbasic (no command line options)
File, Open Program
select and open 4001.bas
Then select run, start

If that still fails, then newer laptops don't always use standard LPT ports.... If you have an older non laptop machine kicking around use that.

If that don't work, try and run this one. you should see a line start at the top of screen press any key to see the next line

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

QUESTION: ok i seem to have got stuck at the simplest part of reading the ird with a voltmeter, how do i convert wat i have into hex using windows calc??

ANSWER
Run Windows Calc.
Select: View, then Scientific
Select the "BIN" option (or View, then Binary)
Put in your 32bit number.
Select then "HEX" option (or View, then Hex)

Hex number displayed should be your IRD

QUESTION: ok now ive hit anoher snag ok the first set of numbers gave me 9 digits of the bk and the second gave me 8 thats right so wen both r added it gives me 17 digits for the bk... any ideas or have i just took a wrong reading?

ANSWER:
Should be 8 and 8

As the max Binary:11111111111111111111111111111111 (32 x 1's) = Hex:FFFFFFFF

I think you've checked a pad twice.

if you all doing the voltmeater way.. it's best to double/double check the reading..

QUESTION
Sorry for a stupid question but which point do you use for ground for the voltmeter or is the case sufficient?

ANSWER:
a good gnd point is the metal can where the cable feed plug into.

This device is slightly more complex to make then the JTAG device used for the 4000/4010 box. However the cost of parts should not come to greater than 10 quid for these.

Thanks for advice guys
I am going to build one myself

but maplins dont ever seem to have any 74HC244N instock

is there an alternate I could use
also afrad I may get the wrong bits

could someone please pm me product codes and number of each part I need to get

just so I dont get wrong bite

:Cheers:

Chriz2000, can you pm me pls......

Fantastic news on the reader.... You can get HC244's here ( plus many other chips) at low cost, but there's £3.50 postage I think. I don't pay it because I buy shed loads.
I'm going to draw up a better design for the reader that uses HC573 instead of 373's. This will make the use of vero board ( strip board) a lot easier as the input pins are all on one side of the chip, and the outputs are on the other.

Just a note, I've posted a reply on another BB regarding the JTAG reader. The design HAS to use HC244 as it won't work properly. Reason? It seems the VCC on the JTAG is 3.3 V and an LS244/HCT244 needs 5 volts. DO NOT confuse HC with HCT. THEY ARE NOT COMPATIBLE. HC will run from 2V to 6V(VCC) LS and HCT will only run at 5V.

Oops forgot the link.

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/r...&CTL_CAT_CODE=&STK_PROD_CODE=M34482&XPAGENO=1

Here is the new schematic. I hope Gust ( whover he is doesn't mind). The only difference is the use of HC573 chips instead of 373 chips.Other wise it's exactly the same. Trust me, this will be easier and tidier to make. I have a few 573's available. pm me.If that's allowed.....I don't have any 541's so it's probably not worth it unless you have some lying around.
Interesting project........ but there must be a way round all that wiring onto the simm..... and the 9 pin D plug swapping..... sounds like a good case for a PCB, a through simm connector ,and a BUS switch to read both halves of the data word.
I wonder if Gust knows that you can get all the data out of the low order bits by tying the "BYTE" input onthe Atmels low. That would save all the D types .....I wish I had more time :)

atmelace keep up the good work i for one would be lost if people like you never shared your expert ideas thanks

Probs After Jtag Help

HERE IT GOES JUST DONE JTAG THING ALL WENT WELL GOT IRD AND BK BUT WHEN I PROG FUN CARD I GET YOU ARE NOT SUSSCRIBED TO THESE CHANNNELS WITH BLACK SCREEN DO I NEED TO PULL RED JUMPER IN BOX ????

WHEN USING NCE PROG DO I NEED TO PUT NUMBERS IN AS I GOT OF JTAG OR DO SOME OF THEM NEED TO BE PUT I REVERSE IE BELOW AS JTAG GAVE ME

IRD=12 XX XX 97

BK=D7 66 XX XX XX XX 9E 51

TAZUK : shocked2 BLOBBY

sometimes that happens 2 me. turn the box off and turn it on again keep doing it till it works

Just incase anyone hasn’t made/acquired a jtag device yet
Good old tailor-madecircuits.com is making them now for the bargain price of £10

Chriz are they for the 4000 and 4010 box m8 .. i have the 4001 box ... no good at making electronics circuits hope i can purchase 1 of those for the 4001 box at some stage .. great bit of info ...

Sorry mate it’s not the Jtag device for receiving the 4001 box keys. I have heard a few people talking about a simpler method for receiving the 4001 box keys so hang in there, I’m sure soon there will be a viable solution everyone can use

Just checked site.. will have to get a m8 to make me up 1 for the 4001.. thanks again to all for sharing that info

cheers m8.. something to look forward to if i can,t get 1 made..

Thanks for all the info, just ordered one from that tailor-made site, being an absolute noob at this I will let you know how easy/hard it was to do this from scratch!

tmc are selling it for 10, dam i paid 25 on wednesday to someone and still aint recieved it. hope it comes with nice giftwrap (worth £15)

Back