basic tut for claiming bank charges.

Thing is a lot of banks will close your account if you win!

So if you do intend to go through with it then be prepared to find a new bank.

I beat LloydsTSB. I had to file in court and they settled days before. I tried to get (extra) costs but it was rejected.
Since then I've racked up another £150 in charges, the latest because I was less than £2 overdrawn!
So I'm claiming these charges back and I've got a new account elsewhere.

My account wasn't closed, but then I've been with them since the dinosaurs were here.

D.

still proceed with credit card charges

Lots of people have put credit card charges on hold because credit card companys are telling people that they have too this is not true it is only bank charge claims that have been put on hold. so proceed if you are claiming credit card excees administration fees!

quick question, when sending the initial letter off, do I address it to my local branch, the one I bank with or the main head office (I am with Barclays Bank)

quick question, when sending the initial letter off, do I address it to my local branch, the one I bank with or the main head office (I am with Barclays Bank)

Send to head office.

Barclays Bank PLC
1 Churchill Place
FREEPOST LON13542
London
E14 5HP

My old man beat Halifax to the tune of £900.
It was supposed to be £1100 but he bottled and this wasn't so long ago.
He has since been charged for going OD.
£90 charges for3 instances of going over not more than a fiver.
Legal robbery.

Is reclaiming of bank charges back on? I thought it was all on hold til it was sorted out by the courts?

Halifax charges me £39 for a direct debit payment I didn't have it in my account so it failed, will i be able to get this money back?

Halifax charges me £39 for a direct debit payment I didn't have it in my account so it failed, will i be able to get this money back?

this is the exact thing m8. does it cost halifax £35 because the money wasnt in your account? does it cost them £35 to send you an automated letter? i think not you certainly can claim it back although i belive all bank claims are on hold untill feb 2008 untill the courts have made there ruling.

this is the exact thing m8. does it cost halifax £35 because the money wasnt in your account? does it cost them £35 to send you an automated letter? i think not you certainly can claim it back although i belive all bank claims are on hold untill feb 2008 untill the courts have made there ruling.

Ok thanks, Im going to phone there heard office tomorrow and ask whats going on as I Can spend that on some cans weekend and have a good piss up, bloody rip off's, Im going to quote some of that stuff in the OP if that fails im going to write that letter!!

Hi Sargie

I'm new to the site and just discovered this section... fantastic info, cheers. I was gonna have a go and claim some CC charges back but noticed your point about all Claims on hold until 2008.

Do you reckon it's best to wait until after the ruling or just go ahead and start the ball rolling? What is it they are actually ruling on?

Thanks again mate!

CC are not affected by the current court case so go ahead and claim them but be warned they may try and wipe your eye by saying about the court case but dont fall for it.

Hi Sargie

I'm new to the site and just discovered this section... fantastic info, cheers. I was gonna have a go and claim some CC charges back but noticed your point about all Claims on hold until 2008.

Do you reckon it's best to wait until after the ruling or just go ahead and start the ball rolling? What is it they are actually ruling on?

Thanks again mate!

basicaly m8 banks do not have to sort your claims out untill after the ruling. you can still send your SAR off (subject acess request). then you can see exactly whats owed to you. hopefully once the ruling has been made and imo it has to go in favour of us as the oft already said that anything more than £12 is unfair then we shopuld get whats owed automaticaly.

I got a reply from GE Money for claiming back my charges. they say that because their charges have been £12, thats what they are allowed to charge and will not pay that back. is there anything i can do?

They always try that old chestnut m8. They are not allowed to charge £12....the ruling was that if they charged more than £12 they would be investigated and it also stated that by no means where the FSA saying that £12 was a lawful fee. Lots of people have been told exactly the same as you have and they pressed ahead to the next stage and won.

which letter do i send now? out of 250 they say they are offering me a measly 36 quid. its ge money and they have charged me 12 quid on every go.

At what stage are you exactly m8....are you at No.3/No.4 in sargies 1st post ??

3:send a preliminary letter. this is a letter requesting that your bank/credit card company repay the charges as you believe they are unlawful they have 15 days to reply.

4:it will now go 2 ways they will either pay you outright or contest it and say they owe you nothing probably the later of the 2. if they contest move straight on to stage 5

stage 4 mate. where you getting this? i cant see it in his post. (must be going blind lol)

Yep...your going blind...lol

1st post not that far down, under the 1st template letter where it says

Yours faithfully,

[signature]

[name]

2:after you have received your list of charges add up the amount and then add 8% statutory interest. this is the amount the court will award if you were to win at the court stages you must include a print out of your schedule of charges with this letter.

3:send a preliminary letter. this is a letter requesting that your bank/credit card company repay the charges as you believe they are unlawful they have 15 days to reply.

4:it will now go 2 ways they will either pay you outright or contest it and say they owe you nothing probably the later of the 2. if they contest move straight on to stage 5

5:now its time for a LBA (letter before action) this is now more serious as you are threatening court action if they do not meet your request for charges within 14 days use the letter template below.
[your address]

You now need to go to No.5

do they still pay out and can i follow this tut?

some poeple i know bottled it when the banks said no but this tutorial will give them new hope

nice tutorial btw

Back