basic tut for claiming bank charges.

I recently claimed my bank charges back from Lloydstsb, however i missed the court thing out, seeing as i didnt want to have to pay out for court costs. ( iknow i could claim them back from lloydstsb, but i didnt want to have to fill all the bumpff in for the courts or outlay the money first)

I sent my LBA letter to lloydstsb, after which i recieved a letter basically saying that their charges are fair and im not having my money back.

Now instead of going to court - i then filed a complaint straight to the financial ombudsman, they take on the case and i just got an offer for all my money back.

Basically the ombudsman writes to your bank and asks them for proof as to how they come to their bank charges. Since the bank cannot do this, the ombudsman sorts it out for you.

Lloydstsb stated that even though they accept no liablilty, they will repay me everything including the stat 8% p.a interest to avoid a forml investigation.

It takes a little longer, but i havent had to do anything or pay anything out at all.

Ive heard that lloydstsb are one of the worst banks to reclaim from as well.

Hope this helps anyone.

Ade

great tip that m8 will be usefull to many im sure especialy those who find the £120 outlay a little pricy. although you do claim it back.

Thanks, had a convo with a friend the other day, he want to claim back some charges, i have done a copy of it and will pass it on. thanks again

How does the recent Lloyds TSB victory in court affect future claims, surely they must be cocky & go to court more often?

Fantastic! Will need to do this! I reckon I must be owed thousands!

Please be aware now that there is now a full fledged test case agreed to by 8 top banks and the OFT/FSA. This will decide the legallity of penalty charges. I reckon the OFT/FSA would not have taken this on unless they were sure they would win and the banks seem resigned to losing it, but I also believe that there is something we havent been told about this, maybe some sort of agreement between the banks and OFT???. If they banks win, then the game is up for us claiming, but if OFT/FSA win, then the banks will have to pay back anyone who proves they were charged and it may also mean the end of free banking, as the banks have said they may have to examine the way they do buisness in the UK. The FSA has also told the banks that any claims against them can be put on hold until the end of the test case.

Full story

Please be aware now that there is now a full fledged test case agreed to by 8 top banks and the OFT/FSA. This will decide the legallity of penalty charges. I reckon the OFT/FSA would not have taken this on unless they were sure they would win and the banks seem resigned to losing it, but I also believe that there is something we havent been told about this, maybe some sort of agreement between the banks and OFT???. If they banks win, then the game is up for us claiming, but if OFT/FSA win, then the banks will have to pay back anyone who proves they were charged and it may also mean the end of free banking, as the banks have said they may have to examine the way they do buisness in the UK. The FSA has also told the banks that any claims against them can be put on hold until the end of the test case.

Full story

lol if the banks start charging people for banks accounts they will be committing suicide.

Just give you a small insight to my affair.

Debenhams and house of fraser through ge capital paid up after 1st letter.

Lloyds TSB f-ed about for a while saying they were lawful finally got a letter saying final word and they have put £750 in my acc. As fatlip mentioned at this stage i had to go to the financial services ombudsman due to me living in scotland and my amount being claimed higher that £1500(highest limit small court can do here). They were really good and it is worth maybe going here first as if you lose in court they will not accept the case. With the amount of time it takes a claim getting to court now the difference in time between them is not much.

In total i got £2200 for a £1800 claim.

Captial one made me file papers and a week before the return date sent me a chq for the full amount including statuary interest although had previously refunded me the difference between £20 and £12.

With regards to the future of banking my friend who is a senior analyst at R*S say they have been talking about stopping free current acc banking and has also heard others bank are going the same way with lloyds already giving big sales pushes on getting customers to upgrade to a current acc with some little perks but a monthly fee of £7.

As usual these charges usually affect the people that dont have a lot of money and so the bank dont really care if they keep you or not

Id say the banks will just be informed to reduce payments from now on and anything up till now gets quashed, i only heard about it a few weeks back and was too late :(
I'm owed about £1100+
There will always be one bank that wont charge for current accounts, if Nationvide or burglays start charging for basic accounts then we all leave them and take our mortgages with us!
A few years back there was a thing going around about charges and everyone was asked to send in 5 cheques payee yourself for 1p. the amount of time/cost this would have on the bank would be massive.. But sometimes us people need to put our foot down and say enough is enough! £50 charge for going overdrawn? that is robbery!!!!!!
Great to see peeps here working together to stop all this robbery

ive got an offer back from natwest who are willing to pay the charges back however will not pay the intrest ...they state if you do not accept this offer you will have to wait untill further notice ...what shall i do???

ive got an offer back from natwest who are willing to pay the charges back however will not pay the intrest ...they state if you do not accept this offer you will have to wait untill further notice ...what shall i do???

i would take it; as now i believe they do not have to handle the bank charges due to the court case with the FSA but i could be wrong. either way i would still take it, its only interest you wouldnt of had anyway.

instead of going to court - i then filed a complaint straight to the financial ombudsman, they take on the case and i just got an offer for all my money back.

Basically the ombudsman writes to your bank and asks them for proof as to how they come to their bank charges. Since the bank cannot do this, the ombudsman sorts it out for you.

'The Financial Ombudsman Service has decided, for the time being, not to continue its work on complaints about unauthorised overdraft charges - until important legal action in the High Court settles key questions about these charges.'

;-(

Thanks for this very informative tutorial m8 just what i have been looking for

Every week since i decided to claim money back i sent Abbey gruesome packages of horribly hacked up cash cards and debit cards.

This continued for an eight week period, they then sent me a letter on the eve of me sending them a bloody chip from the debit card, telling me they had given in and would pay the ransom....unfair charges i mean.

Yippe!

Is there any further information on what is happening with the high court case?
I had hoped to be able to claim some of my charges back (4 accounts which I constantly co+k up with) and the mrs was half way through claiming when barclays put the kye bosh on it (£850). Which as women do she had already spent.

Cheers
Wizbit77

As far as I am aware, all cases are froze until at least Jan 2008, well thats what is happening in Norn Iron so I would imagine its the same there. People here have preliminary court dates for Feb 2008, but they may well be stayed again.

thanks for this info.. i have read many sites. with info about this matter but this was still helpfull

still put your claims in people as the banks are more than likely to pay up (they know the high court case will go against them).

also, i have successfully claimed from bclays. i phoned up GE Money / GE Capital whatever they are called and asked for the statement, as i been with them for 2 years = 24 months. they want 3quid per statement, which equals 72 quid for 2 years worth of statement. is this correct? can they do that?

still put your claims in people as the banks are more than likely to pay up (they know the high court case will go against them).

also, i have successfully claimed from bclays. i phoned up GE Money / GE Capital whatever they are called and asked for the statement, as i been with them for 2 years = 24 months. they want 3quid per statement, which equals 72 quid for 2 years worth of statement. is this correct? can they do that?

I don't think that is right m8. I had to send a cheque for £10 for 6 years worth of statements but HSBC didnt even want the £10, the simply returned my £10 with the 6yrs of statements.

I got 2.1k back from HSBC :banana:

Best thing I ever did......

Absolutely not. They are trying it on. Its law that they can only charge you £10 for a SAR or DPA. If they try to be funny with you then just insist on the full SAR, this will mean they have to provide you with all correspondence between you and them, it would be inconvenient for them to do that but if they want to play hard ball then tell them to bring it on. Just simple tell them either to supply the copy statements or to comply with the full Sar, its their choice.

The latest news that I have heard about OFT test case is that it could go on for years and maybe never even take place, the banks are stalling and apparently they are so convienced they will lose that they are trying to strike a deal with the OFT on a set amount per charge. But there are people fighting our corner and we will just have to wait and see what comes about.

Last edited:
Back