basic tut for claiming bank charges.

is it worth writing for £150 of unauthorised overdraft from the halifax?

A brilliant post

Nice post, I am definately going to study it more and take it forward as my bank is always trying to find ways to extorte money (thats what it is) from me. Thanks for posting it for us to use.

Is the test case still on hold because of the appeal, im gonna start the process, but dont see any point of doing it if its on hold

Is the test case still on hold because of the appeal, im gonna start the process, but dont see any point of doing it if its on hold

Still waiting for the appeal, no date set at the minute but may be around August. Would do know harm to get the ball rolling by asking for your statements so you are ready to go when appeal is finished.

Heres what I have found out, this is by know means the complete story as I am at work and I cant get to some sites/forums..

The judgement was due around August but the judge presiding over it Lord Justice Smith just happens to be on an extended break until the end of September so you won't hear anything before that.

Then there is the very likely possibility of it going to the house of Lords sometime next year.

You may be in for another long wait if something or someone doesnt give.

You have to remember that if the banks lose this then the goose that lays the golden egg is dead for them so they are dragging this out as long as the can incase it goes against them.

Heres what I have found out, this is by know means the complete story as I am at work and I cant get to some sites/forums..

The judgement was due around August but the judge presiding over it Lord Justice Smith just happens to be on an extended break until the end of September so you won't hear anything before that.

Then there is the very likely possibility of it going to the house of Lords sometime next year.

You may be in for another long wait if something or someone doesnt give.

You have to remember that if the banks lose this then the goose that lays the golden egg is dead for them so they are dragging this out as long as the can incase it goes against them.

thanks for your help Jaffa rep added"yay"

Them friggers in First Trust owe me 2 grand got right thru to the final stage when they were granted permission to put it all on hold.

C'Mon the green&white army Lets get into them
"uk-north-ireland"

thanks for your help Jaffa rep added"yay"

Them friggers in First Trust owe me 2 grand got right thru to the final stage when they were granted permission to put it all on hold.

C'Mon the green&white army Lets get into them
"uk-north-ireland"

I have a couple of m8s in exactly the site situation as you, I did everything for them and had everything ready for their court dates and they got put on hold. I got some others settled from First trust before the test case, the Ulster bank was the easiest though, they through in the towel as soon as you put a claim in court.

btw...this effing test case was supposed to be a good thing for us....but the bassa's are dragging it out.

Just thought i remind anyone thinking of claiming back charges
-Climing back bank charges on your current account is on hold until the decision is made by the high court however you can still file your claim bearing in mind you can only claim back 6 years so its in your interest to start your claim at your earliest convienence.

In regard to credit card charges because cc charges has nothing to do with the court case going on you can claim these charges back now: I recently won a case with capital one and received a cheque for £680 , im still waiting on natwest to refund me £280, they have 6 days left until i file a claim through MCOL which is the best way to start a court claim.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

step by step in using MCOL.

Complete Guide to using Money Claim Online | Claim Bank Charges Back

also remember if you defaulted on your credit card account and incurred unlawful charges, you can write to the bank and have the default from your credit file removed. I have a template letter somewhere so if your interested pm me.

Last edited:
Just thought i remind anyone thinking of claiming back charges
-Climing back bank charges on your current account is on hold until the decision is made by the high court however you can still file your claim bearing in mind you can only claim back 6 years so its in your interest to start your claim at your earliest convienence.

In regard to credit card charges because cc charges has nothing to do with the court case going on you can claim these charges back now: I recently won a case with capital one and received a cheque for £680 , im still waiting on natwest to refund me £280, they have 6 days left until i file a claim through MCOL which is the best way to start a court claim.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

step by step in using MCOL.

Complete Guide to using Money Claim Online | Claim Bank Charges Back

also remember if you defaulted on your credit card account and incurred unlawful charges, you can write to the bank and have the default from your credit file removed. I have a template letter somewhere so if your interested pm me.
Thanks for that post mate. I was told that it is on hold till the high court decision comes through. didnt know if i should write in or not.

They owe me £150 so i will write to them (Halifax). Hopefully the right template is here. Busy right now fighting for my uni grades! lol

Hi All

Can you tell me if claiming bank charges is still possible on an account opened recently. My son, stupidly overdrew on his account by a few pounds on 3 occasions on the same day. He has received a single letter charging him3*£35 (£105). This seem somewhat excessive for a single letter! He earns less than this per week. Any advise would be appreciated for a worried parent.

Thanks

Hi All

Can you tell me if claiming bank charges is still possible on an account opened recently. My son, stupidly overdrew on his account by a few pounds on 3 occasions on the same day. He has received a single letter charging him3*£35 (£105). This seem somewhat excessive for a single letter! He earns less than this per week. Any advise would be appreciated for a worried parent.

Thanks

pm sent m8 ;)

omg....although ur letters are very good, i'm soooo twisted up by reading all of them i don't know which one to send...lol

sargie can u help me please.....this is all i have done so far...having had a row with the bank a few months ago i asked them to send me afull statment since opening the account..which was years ago, i have recieved untold amount of post...lol all this being all the statements from start to recently. so what do i add up now,...just charges for anything they have charge me for???

omg....although ur letters are very good, i'm soooo twisted up by reading all of them i don't know which one to send...lol

sargie can u help me please.....this is all i have done so far...having had a row with the bank a few months ago i asked them to send me afull statment since opening the account..which was years ago, i have recieved untold amount of post...lol all this being all the statements from start to recently. so what do i add up now,...just charges for anything they have charge me for???

yeah add up all the charges you have had make sure you dont include ones that have been refunded by way of good will gesture (if they have).

If you want to you can add 8% statutory interest which is the amount the courts would award should you go to court and win. Add this to the total amount of your claim and make sure you show it in the first and every letter.

once you have added this all up print out your calculations you MUST list all charges for example LATE PAYMENT FEE £35 and so on then at the bottom show the working out there are lots of bank charges calculators that will do this for you on the net.

Bank charges calculator | This is Money

Ok once you have that info printed out send if off with the claim letter which should be the first template in my original post.

add in your banks details were it says to and ALWAYS send every letter recorded post so they have to sign for it the other end and they cant deny they recieved it.

hope this helps and if your stuck gimme a shout.

it is the prelim letter in post 2 at the beginning of the thread you want tina ;)

Last edited:
thanks hun...i'll tackle this over the weekend.
xx

Back