basic tut for claiming bank charges.

thx m8 this will come in very handy for the missus she gets charges almost every week for 1 thing or the other from her bank the a**by might even look into my own credit card charges im also paying capital very high interest rate

Abbey will defend...of that there is no doubt, in fact I could even show you the defence they will use, but they have always paid out before court stage.

I am not trying to say I know it all or anything but i have experience of this whole process and have helped lots of people reclaim their charges.

Abbey will defend...of that there is no doubt, in fact I could even show you the defence they will use, but they have always paid out before court stage.

I am not trying to say I know it all or anything but i have experience of this whole process and have helped lots of people reclaim their charges.

hi m8 i know they will defend and if they do my missus is a lil pussycat she will back down so i wil have to convince her to stick it out she is already afraid they might cancel her account if she tries to claim money so it be very hard work but i think she will listen to me in the end i also got a friend that lost alot and end up in the red becoz abbey charges so he will be very interested when i show him this too

Great post thanks will have a good look at this, or may I say the wife will. cheers

I have tried this already. I found it on moneyexpert.com. I got the list of charges back quite quickly but i have sent two letters off requesting that i get them paid back, and i have heard nothing. All letters that i have sent off are sent 1st class recorded, and they have all been signed for.

Not really sure what to do now though???

Chances are they wont respond for about 4-8 weeks, you have to actually file in court if they dont pay you back after you send in the 14 day letter before action.

Hey Jaffa. I have recieved my SAR. I am really considering going for contractual int. As it stands my charges are about £1700 (give or take a few pounds) without int. I am up against Woolwich/Barclays (always drag each and every stage out im led to believe). Do you know about anyone who has had success with this ?

Contractual interest is totlally hit and miss, some judges will allow it and some wont, so its best to state that if they contractual interest is not allowed then you will accept the statutary 8% interest. I have heard of winners with CI and also losers of CI. Barclays do drag it out but they also settle up before court date.
Personally, I was only to happy to get my charges back and the 8% interest was a bonus, I knew about CI but I didnt want to push my luck.

Thanks for that Jaffa. I know it may seem greedy going for the contractual but these pesky charges in particular 1 charge where i was 4 pence short cost me so much more than the 1700 that they owe me. Its a long story thats not really worth bothering anyone with suffice to say I dont hold a very high opinion of this particular bank. So i will take your advice and word my letters carefully so to leave myself the option of being awarded contractual or stat (8%). I will also be going after wasted costs as well. Can you tell i dont like them yet ? hehe.:eater:
Once again thanks for the reply/advice.

Thanks very much for the tutorial i am new to the forum and that is me just read the thread so i am going to give it a try and i will let you know how i get on. i think i will be on to a winner because the last couple of year i have had quiet a lot of stupid charge for nothing most of them were only under £5 overdrawn i even checked to see how much it would let me go overdrawn just out of curiosity and the max i could go was exactly £5 so basically it is like a trap they will let you go overdrawn just enough to give you a charge Scandalise !!!

in the process of this just now....every 1 i know thats done it has been paid but am with the tsb and they don't seem to want to part with there cash lol..any 1 had any dealings with them and how did u's get on?

in the process of this just now....every 1 i know thats done it has been paid but am with the tsb and they don't seem to want to part with there cash lol..any 1 had any dealings with them and how did u's get on?

go for it its your money m8

just keep the pressure on and stick to your time table. but always make sure you pay attention to the terms and conditions.

recently been offerd 800 ish after putting a claim in for 960 so im gona take it tbh i was no easy task they fight dirty i had to take em to court just to get the list of charges and then make several threats to actualy sue for the dough back ,took around 4-5 months from start to finnish and prob 10/12h of reading up ,issuing a summons and Composing Letters , The consumer action group helped a lot,, no 2 bad ,, its dough that was mine in the 1st place but it feels like a Win !!
good luck all and i can help any members out if need be ,, btw ive helped out pals and relatives gian back about 12k ,1 alone for 4500 ,, Mine was with The royal bank of ******s ,,, but also won aginst scabby and natwest ....
my advice stick it to emm get ya £££ back ...

Haven't Lloyds TSB gone to court and won I'm with them and I'm pretty sure they won their case I was considering going the full road with them to see if there was an infringement on my rights as they were settling out of court and at the same time charging me I wrote to them insiting they don't accsess any of my acounts for bank charges but they ignored me and put both of my accounts into the red by some margin.

Haven't Lloyds TSB gone to court and won I'm with them and I'm pretty sure they won their case I was considering going the full road with them to see if there was an infringement on my rights as they were settling out of court and at the same time charging me I wrote to them insiting they don't accsess any of my acounts for bank charges but they ignored me and put both of my accounts into the red by some margin.

yeah but that was because the guy didnt adhere to there terms and conditions they offered him a payment twice and he refused saying that it wasnt his fault. and while the charges were his fault they were to high. but he decided to argue in court that they wernt his fault therefore the judge ruled against him!

remember its not the charge that is unlawful only the amount they are charging as it doesnt reflect true costs!

Great post guys am gonna get started on my bank the now like, reading this has put me in a mood to get my pennies back

Thanks alot

I recently claimed my bank charges back from Lloydstsb, however i missed the court thing out, seeing as i didnt want to have to pay out for court costs. ( iknow i could claim them back from lloydstsb, but i didnt want to have to fill all the bumpff in for the courts or outlay the money first)

I sent my LBA letter to lloydstsb, after which i recieved a letter basically saying that their charges are fair and im not having my money back.

Now instead of going to court - i then filed a complaint straight to the financial ombudsman, they take on the case and i just got an offer for all my money back.

Basically the ombudsman writes to your bank and asks them for proof as to how they come to their bank charges. Since the bank cannot do this, the ombudsman sorts it out for you.

Lloydstsb stated that even though they accept no liablilty, they will repay me everything including the stat 8% p.a interest to avoid a forml investigation.

It takes a little longer, but i havent had to do anything or pay anything out at all.

Ive heard that lloydstsb are one of the worst banks to reclaim from as well.

Hope this helps anyone.

Ade

Back