basic tut for claiming bank charges.

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
OK this is the same for both bank and credit card charges.

1: you need to submit a SAR (subject access request). this is a letter asking your bank/credit card company for a list of charges going back a minimum of 6 years.remember to enclose a £10 cheque as this is the maximum amount they are legally allowed to charge for the information they have 40 days to reply.

use this template letter.

[your address]

[their address]

[DATE]

Data Protection Act 1998
Subject Access Request

Dear Sir/Madam

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx (or multiple numbers if more than one account)

Please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my banking history with your organization. Alternatively, a complete set of statements for that period will be acceptable.

Additionally, where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff, or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you.

If you are unable to supply this data because there has been no such manual intervention, then please be so kind as to confirm this in your response.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply. Furthermore, if I discover that you have levied disproportionate penalties against me, then I shall be reclaiming them, and also reclaiming the enclosed £10 Data Protection Act subject access request fee.

If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.
I would be happy to collect the Data from my local branch.

Yours faithfully,

[signature]

[name]

2:after you have received your list of charges add up the amount and then add 8% statutory interest. this is the amount the court will award if you were to win at the court stages you must include a print out of your schedule of charges with this letter.

3:send a preliminary letter. this is a letter requesting that your bank/credit card company repay the charges as you believe they are unlawful they have 15 days to reply.

4:it will now go 2 ways they will either pay you outright or contest it and say they owe you nothing probably the later of the 2. if they contest move straight on to stage 5

5:now its time for a LBA (letter before action) this is now more serious as you are threatening court action if they do not meet your request for charges within 14 days use the letter template below.
[your address]

[their address]

[date]

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

I am very disappointed that you have failed to respond to my letter of the [XXDATEXX].
I now understand that the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX.
I am enclosing a copy of the schedule of the charges which I am claiming. I have already sent you a copy of this in my original letter of the [XXDATE OF FIRST LETTERXX]

Additionally you have entered a default notice against my credit record. This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by the taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

In addition to full payment of the sum mentioned above I require that you remove the default entry from the register. Please note that mere correction or amendment to the entry will not be acceptable.

I require repayment in full of this money and removal of the default notice. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus a claim under ss.7 and 13 of the Data Protection Act 1998 plus my costs and without further notice.

You are also reminded of my request that you forward a copy of the Terms and Conditions that were in force at the time my account was opened, and any subsequent amendments to those Terms and Conditions. These are requested under CPR Pre-Action Protocol 4.6(c), and your continued failure to provide them will be brought to the attention of the court, should it be necessary to commence a county court action.

Furthermore, I shall submit a Consumer Credit Act 1974 complaint to the OFT upon the basis that you have failed to comply with the OFT's direction of 5 April 2006 and are therefore not a 'fit and proper person' to hold a consumer credit license under the 1974 Act. If you do not understand what this means then seek advice from your legal department.

Yours faithfully,

[name]

Red - if you have a default notice issue as well - which has been caused by the charges. Otherwise to not include this part.

Blue - only include this if you intend to do it. Don't make empty threats

DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE YOUR SCHEDULE OF CHARGES WITH THIS LETTER

6:again it ill go one of 2 ways either they payout or they contest it again. if they contest it you now need to move on to court action. this can be done in one of 2 ways

first with an n1 available here
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n1(cc)_0302.pdf

n1 particulars are as follows

Claimant

YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS

Defendant

THE BANKS NAME
THE BANKS REGISTERED OFFICE ADDRESS

TICK NO TO HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUES

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brief Details of Claim

Money claim for return of penalty charges applied to the Claimants bank account by the Defendant

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Value:

Quote:
Charges £xxx.xx
Overdraft Interest £xxx.xx
Interest under s.69 County Courts Act 1984 £xxx.xx
Court Fee £xx.xx

TOTAL £ xx.xx

Plus interest pursuant to S.69 County Courts Act 1984 from date of issue to date of judgment/settlement at £xx.xx per day [(enter daily rate here - (CHARGES+OD interest)x 0.00022 = pence per day)] OR at such rate and for such periods as the court deems just.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Claimant [has] [had] an account 1 ("the Account") with the Defendant which was opened on or around 2 [and closed on or around 2 ]

2. During the period in which the Account [has been] [was] operating the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant.

3. A list of the charges applied is attached to these particulars of claim.

4. The Claimant contends that:

a) The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and the common law.

5. Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £ 3 and any interest charged thereon;

b) Court costs;

c) The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year, from [date when the money became owed to you] to [the date you are issuing the claim] of £ [amount] and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of [enter the daily rate of interest]

6. Alternatively, if the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982).

I believe that the contents of these particulars of claim are true

Signed: DON'T FORGET TO SIGN IT

Date:

Notes:

Delete words in square brackets if not applicable

1. Insert a/c no.
2. Insert Date
3. Insert Sum
--------------------------------------------------------------------

if using an n1 print off 3 copys as you cannot save the page. include with your n1 3 schedule of charges. one for you one for the court and one for the defendant.

you can also submit a mcol this is done online the advantage of this is you can keep track of your case. you cannot use mcol if you are using a ex160 to exempt yourself form court fees if you are on benefits for example

Last edited:
basci tut part 2

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/ex160_1205.pdf

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/onlineservices/mcol/index.htm

7:from here it's just a matter of time very few cases actualy get to court the reasons for this are basicaly that the amount they charge is an untrue reflection of the costs they incur. for example £20 for a day late payemnt. £35 for you bank to send you an wutomated letter tlelling you somthing you already know. if a case was to get to court and win then the floodgates would open costing the banks billions of pounds.

remember stick to your time table they may try to throw time delays your way saying they are looking into it and it may take a few weeks ignore that and move straight on to the next stage.

i made this brief tutorial but the letters are not my work and all the information i provided i learnt from others.

ive attached 2 charges spreadsheets to this tut again not my work.

Last edited:
prelim letter template.

[your address]

[their address]

[date]

Request for repayment of charges

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

My request
I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my account over the last XXXX years.

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent consumer regulations. If you say that they are not, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put by as a result of my breaches, in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs.

Additionally, it has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

Your responsibilities
I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them.
Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now.

What I require
I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX .
I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter.

(Additionally you have entered a default notice against my credit record. This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by the taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account).

(in addition to full payment of the sum mentioned above, I require that you remove the default entry from the register. Please note that mere correction or amendment to the entry will not be acceptable).

My targets to resolve this matter
I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you dispute that I am entitled to a refund of these charges, I request that you forward within the above mentioned time scale, a copy of the Terms and Conditions that were in force at the time my account was opened, and any subsequent amendments to those Terms and Conditions. These are requested under CPR Pre-Action Protocol 4.6(c), and failure to provide them will be brought to the attention of the court, should it be necessary to commence a county court action.

If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that, there will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

Yours faithfully,

[name]

(-) - only include if necessary

DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE YOUR SCHEDULE OF CHARGES WITH THIS LETTER

Last edited:
Thanks mate. This will come very useful to loads of people including me. I know there are loads of sites as well that give tutorial such as moneysavingexpert but dont hurt to have a copy on here as well (prevents people wodering off lol).

Last edited:
Lets hope someone makes this a sticky.
Great tutorial sargieboy,fantastic effort and will prob be much appreciated

Great post Sargieboy deffo worth sticking :)

np guys anything else you need to know just ask. also if you are doing credit card charges you can claim contractual interest.this is the amount of interest you credit card charges you ie mine is 35% interst on capital one.

you need to be clear though which you are claiming from the start either statutory or contractual.

i calimed statutory as i thought contractual was taking the mick a bit but having said that people do get it back.

really good post thanks will be deffo looking into this

what would the extended version look like? :) just kidding m8 thanks i might need that.

what would the extended version look like? :) just kidding m8 thanks i might need that.

lol believe me bud ive only just scratched the surface ;) but can add to it if anyone needs more info.

Last edited:
I aint going to plug another forum but I am a member at penaltycharges, so if anyone needs any help then I would be only to pleased to help...after all I get a lot of help here so its only right to offer it.

Last edited:
I aint going to plug another forum but I was a mod and offered admin at penaltycharges but didnt have the time to accept, so if anyone needs any help then I would be only to pleased to help...after all I get a lot of help here so its only right to offer it.

thats awfully nice of you mister

People with accounts with the Clydesdale Bank and Yorkshire Bank had better be prepared to goto court as these 2 are defending each claim, but keep at it and you will win.

Last edited:
Almost ever bank defends claims but they seldom go to court, they either settle before the date or at the court before the hearing.

Im at stage 2 ATM but have read/re-read and read again lol so im ready for court hehe. £1690 (Excluding int). Mine will goto court as its a Woolwich account they are now owned by Barclays and they rarely dont take it all the way. Oh well ho hum ill just have to add my 8%. Im also not bothering about contractual as it is a bit more complicated IMHO. Good luck with your claims peeps. And like witchy states just keep plugging away because eventually the banks pay :eater:

Almost ever bank defends claims but they seldom go to court, they either settle before the date or at the court before the hearing.

I know mate, but these buggers are a little bit more stubborn then the rest, have a look on the main webiste that takes to do with all this (I don't know if I'm allowed to post the site) and you'll see that they use fear tactics on their customers right up until the very last minute hoping that they'll pull out, but everyone person that hasn't backed down has won :)

thx m8 this will come in very handy for the missus she gets charges almost every week for 1 thing or the other from her bank the a**by might even look into my own credit card charges im also paying capital very high interest rate

i had a really good site which i know people have got back over 2000 pound back i cant seem to find it, if i do ill post for use all

banks seem to give ur money back alot when u threaten with court, must be to do it will cost them more money in solictor fees, who said we all hate solicitors lmao

i had a really good site which i know people have got back over 2000 pound back i cant seem to find it, if i do ill post for use all

banks seem to give ur money back alot when u threaten with court, must be to do it will cost them more money in solictor fees, who said we all hate solicitors lmao

It's because legally they do not have a leg to stand on mate, they may charge you a fee everytime you go overdrawn etc, but they then have to justify the charges, they have tried justifying them but they always fall flat on their face, £25 to send out a letter for example!

£25 to send out a letter for example!

i due about 200, i gonna give this a try , i had a college interest free acc, so i could go minus 200 in overdraft , when college ended they charged me 200.00 interest

ill let you know how i got on

fingers crossed

Back