Aliens have landed

Time will tell I guess gsmtech! But I would just like to draw to the attention of other potentail buyers that I have been in close contact with a very good friend of mine who has been using these receivers in the USA and he confirms that on the Enigma 2 side these receivers work in exactly the same way as DM600 and we all know how good support is for that! Also if buyers wish to purchase these receivers in the UK as a triple tuner they will in fact have a Freeview/Cable HD tuner and not a standard definition tuner as stated in my previous post.

Time will tell I guess gsmtech! But I would just like to draw to the attention of other potentail buyers that I have been in close contact with a very good friend of mine who has been using these receivers in the USA and he confirms that on the Enigma 2 side these receivers work in exactly the same way as DM600 and we all know how good support is for that! Also if buyers wish to purchase these receivers in the UK as a triple tuner they will in fact have a Freeview/Cable HD tuner and not a standard definition tuner as stated in my previous post.

Was that a typo "DM600" did you mean they work in the same way as a DM800 ? DM600 are good boxes but rather dated now being Enigma 1 non HD recievers.

I thought Enigma2 images are still at an early stage on these recievers so not sure if theyre quite at the same level as DM800's. It will be worth keeping an eye on though. Theres so many random boxes popping up all the time claiming to be x,y,z most of them never amount to much and support always seems to disappear quite rapidly or is non-existant in the first place, seems like theres too many people out there to make a quick bit of cash from box sales , the support angle is never upheld..

Seems to be a lot of random recievers being touted around various forums..Gigablues, etc...

Yes indeed, this was a typo error, my opologies. I agree in many ways mate in regard to "random boxes". I purchased a GGG HD box last year that had very little support but to this day it does it's job. Basically it's used as a FTA HD receiver and the so called gift still works albeit at random but adding cs makes it great. My main point is to advise buyers not to be put off by new receivers at bargain prices, they all do the same job (more or less) and are used for the same purpose (so to speak). You also mentioned in an earlier post about a VU clone. And again this is fine because the GGG HD was infact a clone of many cheap receivers, and proves to work just as well even though there's been no support for over a year. For the money and the option of dual boot and twin HD tuners the Amiko Alien 2 is a good buy, with or without support, although I must stress that support is very good at the moment even though this receiver never came to these shores until a couple of months ago. The bottom line is, like any receiver, if it's a big seller it will have loads of support, if it lacks sales then it will suffer the consiquence like any other receiver.

just seen the golden media triplex on the bay for £140 the frreeview tuner is sd as asked the seller and he says freeview hd tuner will be available later in year at an aditional cost of about £20 so good price at looks to have exactly the same features as the alien .
so if the support is good and the e2 image is as open and stable as say dreambox images then it makes these boxes with any name badge a good buy at under £200 compared to something like the tm7102 triple which is not open source and costs about double

Well the time is upon us and as previously stated I have now purchased 2 of the Amiko Alien 2 Twin tuner receivers at £139 each, a real steal. Delivery is tomorrow (Thursday) so I'll be up nice and early to await my new toys. You might ask why I am purchasing two of these boxes? Well the truth is, I'm greedy.
But the real story is yet to be revealed, the proof they say is in the pudding, I will be putting these receivers through their paces and report back tomorrow on the following: Build Quality, Picture Quality, Sound Quality, Ease Of Use, Dual Boot Function, Software Integration, Receiver Capabilities, and whatever else I happen to find important or interesting.

Think I will wait for a full honest review from our resident tester digidude first.
No offence but someone with only 5 posts in 4 years and 3 of them in last week about amiko I can do without lol

mine arrived today not had much time to play but looks good spark side looks very easy to nav and play
of to flash my e2 image and have a gander :)

cheers
osborne82

Can you get 7 day sky epg ? and can you use rats buquets? If so im buying one of these

Rats bouquets should work as it's E2 and there is also an OpenTV plugin confirmed working on it so EPG should be fine as well.

rats updater works when its in E2 mode, but, i had to manually ftp the files in, as the ipk package is set for a different type of receiver, but all i did was unpack the ipk, and drag and drop the entire usr folder into place

crossepg sh4 plugin needed renaming to plugin.ipk, then it installed straight off

This sounds pretty good seems like it would be a good twin tuner reciever , now time to convince my better half to let me buy it

Ok people, sorry for the delay, here's my first findings with my Amiko Alien 2. As you know I was purchasing two, just as well because one was stuck in boot out of the box, that is being replaced as I type.

First impressions were: Small Unit, Build Quality is great with plenty of air vents, sadly no built in fan but to be honest it doesn't run very hot. The remote control is a good size, certainly not flimsy and keys separated nicely apart.

Connecting is as straight forward as they come, from switch on to boot up took around 30 seconds with the installed Spark software, but when greeted with the first menu navigation became very easy to follow. Then I struggled a little, you can just choose the satellite you want and do a blind search by pressing the Red (scan) button, which is fine on a fixed dish, but if you want to use a motorised dish then before you press the red scan button you must first press the Green (edit) button and then the Yellow (motor) button, set your position using left and right keys and store the position, from there you can just hit the Red (scan) button again but that doesn't do the blind scan, instead it just searches the preinstalled frequencies, to do the blind search from motor set up you have to press exit to go back to the original screen then select blind search. On the plus side, you can select to search either ALL CHANNELS, FTA TV, ALL TV or ALL RADIO. A blind scan on 28.2 took little over 6 minutes.

Picture quality is excellent as is the sound quality. channel change is smooth enough but isn't the quickest, about 2 seconds. The built in Spark Portal is very nice, with lots of web interfaces to choose from, it has all the makings of a Smart TV with a lot more besides, the web browser is great. I haven't explored the E2 side of things yet but I will report back once I do.

Now the question on everyone's lips is, does it support CCCam etc. And the answer is a possitive YES, using the oscam plugin straight onto the Spark firmware it works great.

I am very impressed with this receiver albeit a few niggles along the way. Once set up it's a joy to use and I would highly recommend it for the price.

I am happy to upload firmware and plugins for those who want it. Although these are all available on the internet.

Finally can I just say to the user who made a comment about taking notice from a person who has only made four posts! I never ask anyone to take notice or even take on board anything I say, my only comments are to provide help and my experience in using the said products.

Thanx Paul, an interesting read, if anyone can though, I'd like to see some screenshots of the osd on the closed source side of things :) menus, info bar, guide, you know, the usual :)

Sent from my telephone.

There are screenshots in the pdf user manual you can grab from the Downloads tab on here

Hello again people, this is an update for people interested in the Amiko Alien 2.

I've had this receiver for little over a week now and I must say it is a very nice addition to my ever growing collection of receivers.

The Spark firmware is very easy to navigate, however, taking into account that Enigma 2 firmware is in it's early stages for the Alien 2, I found that the receiver responds very well with both firmwares.

But, and there's always a but!. There are measures that MUST be taken to avoid damage to the receiver and you ending up with another doorstop, it's a lot of money down the drain if you brick it!

Unlike a lot of receivers on the market that end up dead in the water, the Amiko Alien 2 has a recovery option, this is used when the Alien 2 won't boot in either Spark or Enigma 2, here's how to recover the receiver:

Now this is very important: You MUST, and I mean MUST, have in your possesion or purchase a KINGSTON USB Pen Drive or KINGSTON Memory Card with a USB adapter. WHY? I hear you ask! Simply because NO other brand will work, I've tried lots of types including HP, RiDisc, Medion, Samsung, Sony an PEAK and none of them work, so get yourself a KINGSTON. I was fortunate and had a KINGSTON micro sd in my phone and used a USB adapter.

You need to fully format the KINGSTON drive in FAT32, DO NOT choose the quick format option, it simply won't work.

Now you need to download the Spark Rescue Image software from the web, if you cant find it let me know and I will supply a link, create a folder on your desktop and call it "sparkrescue" then create a folder inside "sparkrescue" folder and simply name it "spark". One you download the rescue image you need to unzip it into the "spark" folder. There should be two files one called "mImage" the other called "userfsub". Now you should send the "spark" folder across to the KINGSTON USB Drive.

To rescue your Alien 2 follow these instructions:

SWITCH off the receiver at the back
ISERT the KINGSTON USB into the REAR USB port
PRESS and HOLD the OK button on the front of the receiver
SWITCH on the receiver at the back
WAIT until FORC appears in the display and release the OK key
NOW press the RIGHT key on the receiver and FACT appears on the display
U LD should appear on the display
WAIT for a good 10 Minutes (Some forums say 5 Minutes)
RECEIVER will reboot 2 or three times during rescue

Once rescue is complete you can start all over again from scratch which saves you money, of course you don't need to start from scratch if you don't want to, there is an option in the spark menu to save all your data to a USB drive or HDD, personally I like to play around so I start from scratch again.

Hope this has been helpful to all you Alien Hunters out there.

my asda 1gig usb drive hasnt missed a beat while flashing any of the images both spark n e2 (and rescure lol) these boxes are hard to feck up m8 theres always recovery via rs232 u can do alot here
very good box though spark does have it all really :)
e2 coming along nicely overall very good box for the money

cheers
osborne82

Ok mate, I didn't even realise ASDA made there own USB drives, clearly I was reffering to Branded Drives. Good tip though. The RS232 method is only viable if you have an RS232 port on your computer or a USB-RS232 cable connected to the receiver. USB is certainly the best option.

And yes the Alien is sure hard to beat.

Cheers for the info guys,
Oh and anybody who likes to tinker with stb's should have an pci-RS232 port on their pc,its a no brainer :)

Back