Acer Aspire One A150 Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz, 1GB RAM 120GB HDD £149.98

Got one of these a couple of months ago but it only came with 512mb RAM so upgraded it to 1.5 gig,put full xp home on and its faster than my desktop :)
Tried the linux for a week and hated it,it looks like a childs toy! fast as fook though
Excellent little machine:Clap:

edit

It states 120 gig hard drive but they usually come with a 160 gig:banana:

hi it dont have to look like a toy did you leave your windows desk top the way it came i doubt it very much so you could have changed your linpus desktop to how you wanted it

edogg

I probably didnt give it a fair chance with the linux,to eager to get xp on lol

Might give it another try in a month or 2

@ the guys who have recently bought one, do they still come with the 160gig hard drive?

@ the guys who have recently bought one, do they still come with the 160gig hard drive?

there's a good tutorial on reghardware Ten tweaks for a new Acer Aspire One ? Register Hardware look at all the AAO stuff then try macles blog you'll get a good little machine with no worry about nasty windows stuff like virii and addware

How do you check the size of the hdd on linux?

120GB on mine mate.
Thanks for the advice chaps, ain't got to it yet but kinda sounds like the way I tried to put Win7 on. There is a recovery disk so gonna try that on a usb.
Lastly, if I'd been able to play .avi files I'd have kept it with Linpus on & sudo yum vlc wouldn't work. Too impatient I guess.
HH.

(Sorry too late to edit)
Got Linpus back on it using edogg's method, thanks for that. Gonna persevere with Linpus for a while this time.
Cheers HH.

hi M8 just insert the dvd you got with the one into any other machine and a usb stick then boot the machine with the dvd and usb in and follow the on screen instructions BUT MAKE SURE YOU SELECT "BACKUP TO USB" when it is fininshed remove the usb stick and in sert it into the ONE then turn the ONE on and press [F12] and select boot from usb this will put the ONE back to factory state

then visit macles blog and maybe you will stick with linpus i did it will do everything windows will but faster unfortunately they are not very reliable i have had 2 hardrive failures so i dont have one any more BOO hoo I mis the fast boot up and download speed so much

edogg

just tried this says it need min 1gb stick mine is a (peak iii), stuck it in and got message not enough space what the feck, anyway sorted will stick it on, see what its like.

what about my printer, will correct drivers be on the disk (lexmark 4650)

Last edited:
Just confirming mine has 120gb hdd, after a few days use of the linux OS on there it is starting to look a bit boring to me and so will probably install tinyxp on the weekend.

just tried this says it need min 1gb stick mine is a (peak iii), stuck it in and got message not enough space what the feck, anyway sorted will stick it on, see what its like.

what about my printer, will correct drivers be on the disk (lexmark 4650)

some usb printers are are included others can be run using samba whatever that is i dont have one at the moment as i fckd my harddrive by turning it of while it was booting up

edogg

Just replaced the lcd on mine after dropping it..... Easier than installing the ram.:Clap:

120GB on mine mate.
Thanks for the advice chaps, ain't got to it yet but kinda sounds like the way I tried to put Win7 on. There is a recovery disk so gonna try that on a usb.
Lastly, if I'd been able to play .avi files I'd have kept it with Linpus on & sudo yum vlc wouldn't work. Too impatient I guess.
HH.

hi to play avi files open terminal [ALT]+[F2] on the front screen and follow these instructions
Acer Aspire One User Forum • View topic - Can linux version watch avi format video? for smplayer install vlc caused to many problems

also visit macles blog and reghardware

edogg

How do you check the size of the hdd on linux?

click system on the desktop bottom right i think its a long time since i saw the standard desktop your getting bored with

edogg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stayed up till 2am this morning getting it recovered & VLC and Firefox 3.1 installed running ok. Not gonna mess too much with it for a while since it's in a decent state right now.
HH.

so you got vlc working have you got video most people who tried that only got the audio thats why i said to go for smplayer also VLC is reported to break other parts of the operating system

If you dont like the standard desktop you can make it look like a mac with the icons along the bottom of the screen and any picture of the right format for the screen as background

edogg

VLC working like it does on my Vista & XP machines. First time I installed it I did only have audio but used macles* method 2nd time & working fine now.
HH.

Back