Acer Aspire One A150 Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz, 1GB RAM 120GB HDD £149.98

very good thats a good site did you have a look at this as well
Ten tweaks for a new Acer Aspire One ? Register Hardware

edogg

After the 4th recovery in 4 weeks my Aspire 1 seems fine. Have finally got VLC, Firefox 3.51, Skype, Network Center, Speakers (Sound) & Gimp all working at the same time. Let's hope it stays that way or methinks it may be going back...........

Oh, just to give you a laugh I've totally screwed my laptop whilst working on my netbook. Tried to create a recovery usb for my Aspire on my laptop & managed to install Linpus over the top of Vista :FRIGHT::FRIGHT: Pretty sure I've lost all my data I had on there as Vista won't repair or restore.

HH.

After the 4th recovery in 4 weeks my Aspire 1 seems fine. Have finally got VLC, Firefox 3.51, Skype, Network Center, Speakers (Sound) & Gimp all working at the same time. Let's hope it stays that way or methinks it may be going back...........

Oh, just to give you a laugh I've totally screwed my laptop whilst working on my netbook. Tried to create a recovery usb for my Aspire on my laptop & managed to install Linpus over the top of Vista :FRIGHT::FRIGHT: Pretty sure I've lost all my data I had on there as Vista won't repair or restore.

HH.

sorry to hear about that i did warn all people trying to make a usb recovery usb stick to make sure you selected the USB option in make a recovery also i dont know why you are persisting in trying to get vlc working mplayer with the smplayer gui is better as it does not cause anything else to stop working and lets you watch videos through firefox

I take my hat off to you though because from your posts on the acer forum u have exceeded my knowledge of linux by 1000000%
best of luck with getting your laptop back hopefully your data is on a different partition

edogg

sorry to hear about that i did warn all people trying to make a usb recovery usb stick to make sure you selected the USB option in make a recovery also i dont know why you are persisting in trying to get vlc working mplayer with the smplayer gui is better as it does not cause anything else to stop working and lets you watch videos through firefox

I take my hat off to you though because from your posts on the acer forum u have exceeded my knowledge of linux by 1000000%
best of luck with getting your laptop back hopefully your data is on a different partition

edogg

Thanks for that mate. Took my laptop to my local repair shop today but they're snowed under at the moment. When I explained what I'd done the owner didn't sound too confident about fixing it or getting my data back. Gonna post a thread about it on here, see if anybody can help me out.

Cheers edogg,
HH.

I was just about to buy one of these, but they've been discontinued.

It's a sad day for impulse buyers. :(

Great little machines, im writing this post from one right now. Although not a fan of the Linpus OS (Fedora Werewolf based). I installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 (jaunty Jackelope) instead, much better now. With firefox v3, newer version of Open Office, nice GUI, interfaces etc..

Great little machines, im writing this post from one right now. Although not a fan of the Linpus OS (Fedora Werewolf based). I installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 (jaunty Jackelope) instead, much better now. With firefox v3, newer version of Open Office, nice GUI, interfaces etc..

That's it, rub it in. :(

still available through amazon

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-One-Netbook-Seashell/dp/B001BZ924I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249037346&sr=8-1]Acer Aspire One A150-Aw Netbook, Linpus Linux Lite: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

I got mine just at the right time, think the Linpus is a sack of **it! but it's user choice and what people are used to. I put Ron's TinyXP on and refined it a little. The most annoying thing was the US keyboard layout, but used M$ keyboard layout creator and made my own, even though peolpe said a live update would fix it, it didn't, anyway it's a good little tool for work and play. :Smokin::Clap:

any other cheap recomendations around as need a new one desktop cattled and prefer laptop

Back