28.2E - Transponder 11.585 H 27.000 Poor Signal Quality

byethecrin

Inactive User
Reaction score
This is my first proper post, so I hope it is in the correct section (if not my apologies)!

I have recently invested in a Technomate 5402 box, with a full motorized setup (80cm dish, N/W England), my problem is I am getting a bad quality signal (10% max) on one of the transponders on 28.2E - 11.585 H 27.000.

It's the BoxNation channel in particular I am after, however I don't get a response from any channel on that transponder, nor do they pickup if I try and scan it.

I am up to date with software and patches and have tried a couple of different channel lists from the web, just in case. I have also tried to delete and re-add the transponder to no avail.

Everything else on 28.2E and 39E (these are the only two I have setup so far) is functioning fine, which I would have thought would rule out alignment (although I am new to this so may be wrong), so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me or do I need to get back in touch with my dish installer?

Hi byethecrin,

11.585 H [27500] 2/3 DVB-S [QPSK] 33.8 Mbps [Steerable1 Beam]

The transponder/frequency in question is located on...

Eutelsat 28A at 28.5°E

View attachment 73177(click on image to enlarge)

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Thanks to Flysat / Eutelsat

I cannot see why you should have a problem with this transponder/frequency as dish size is irrelevant in this instance... however... accurate dish alignment to the satellite may be the issue as this transponder/frequency is located at 28.5°E and not 28.2°E

I always separate these two satellite positions to enable better 'Signal Quality' readings on both... however that's simply because my dish is slightly larger than yours and therefore needs to be more accurately aligned... as a rule of thumb... the larger the dish the greater the need for accuracy... the smaller the dish the exact opposite applies... but within a reasonable margin of error of course...

I don't think you really need to separate these two satellite positions though mate... it would be preferable for you to simply adjust your your 28.2°E position to 28.5°E as the satellite/s at 28.5°E are not as powerful as the satellites at 28.2°E

So what I would suggest is... move the dish to your 28.2°E position... then go into the receivers' menu and select...

Installation
Motorized Setting
Transponder
Select 11.585 H 27500
Go to 'DiSEqC Motor'
Select '1.2'
Go to 'Move Fine'
Use the 'Volume' controls (◄) / (►) to peak/optimize the 'Signal Quality' on this transponder/frequency
On my set-up the 'Volume' (◄) moves the dish to the East and 'Volume' (►) moves the dish to the West (but yours may be different)

When you have successfully peaked/optimized the Signal Quality on this transponder/frequency…

Go to 'Save'
Press 'OK'
'Settings were changed - Do you want to save?'
Select 'Yes'
'Saving... Please Wait !!

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the reply, some cracking information in that post.

I have tried the fine tuning and it doesn't seem to be making any difference. I have even tried adding a new satellite at 28.5E with only 11.585 H 27000 added with the same outcome. Signal level - 97%, quality - 9%'ish

The ironic thing is, if I blind search on my newly created 28.5E or 28.2E, box nation is found, but when you try and view it, no joy due to bad signal.

I am wondering if it is dish elevation or something similar? What with the fine alignment and new sat position not working.

One thing to note, I had to have my dish re-aligned after the heavy winds last weds, box nation didn't work before the re-alignment either. But on the nights of the winds itself, it started to work for a while, before the really strong gusts started and totally moved my dish (maybe the lesser winds moved it a little first into the right position).

Does this sound plausible?

Sorry, I tell a lie, it hasn't picked up the channel on the blind scan this time round.

Hi again byethecrin,

I've noticed (on your posts in this thread) that you are assigning a Symbol Rate of 27000 to the 11.585 H transponder/frequency... this is incorrect... it should be 27500 ...could this be the problem...?

Re: Blind Scan TM 5402 HD
When a 'Blind Scan' has been completed on the TM 5402 HD... sometimes the receiver will have found certain transponders/frequencies and downloaded the channels... but it will also have assigned an incorrect 'Symbol Rate' of 45000 to some transponders/frequencies... and when you try to view those downloaded channels you will get the 'No or Bad Signal' message on screen... if that happens simply go into the menu and select...

Installation
Advanced Search
Transponder
Select Transponder/Frequency
Go to Symbol Rate
Change Symbol Rate to correct value
Go to Search Type
Select desired Search Type
Go to Network Search
Set to OFF
Press Red Button on remote

If the above doesn't help/solve the problem then try the following...

Installation
Advanced Search
Transponder
Select Transponder/Frequency 11.585 H
Press the [1] button on the remote
Transponder box appears
Select Edit
Press OK
Alter/Adjust transponder/frequency

Change the transponder/frequency 11.585 upwards to 11.586 / 11.587 / 11.588
or
Change the transponder/frequency 11.585 downwards to 11.584 / 11.583 / 11.582

If you have success and manage to lock the signal with the slight alteration/adjustment of the transponder/frequency then simply press the OK button twice then press the Red button on the remote to re-scan the new adjusted transponder/frequency...

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
Hi Zorch,

I was indeed using an incorrect signal rate, but after changing that and trying all of your other suggestions, I was still having no luck! So after quite a bit of playing about, I decided to call it a day and phoned my dish installer. He came down and the dish was perfectly aligned and he was getting a signal from the transponder in question on his testing box, but still nothing on my technomate, so after a bit of head scratching we decided to try with a different LNB...

He replaced my Inverto Black Unltra LNB with a Sky Quad and low and behold, all is working fine, just in time to watch Khan get stuck on his backside and flook another lucky win ;)

So thanks again for all your help! Now time to move on to Channel lists, EPG updates, patches and everything else this box can do :eatarrow:

Back