Zgemma H2.S setting up Timeshift

I recommened you just do a fresh flash with openvix.
There seems to be to many things messed around with. Either by yourself or the person who set it up at the start.
Everthing you need is on here mate. You could be up and running within an hour.
I recommend openvix 4.1
(some getting issues with 4.2)

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?resources/4240/

Remember to backup cam before you flash bx

Totally agree. I blame the retailer as you would expect! Should I default the box first or does the new flash completely overnight everything. I know you are all big Openvix fans but I might try Atv too

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree. I blame the retailer as you would expect! Should I default the box first or does the new flash completely overnight everything. I know you are all big Openvix fans but I might try Atv too
OK mate.
I am aware that there was an issues probably with the person who set your zgemma up.

Before you go any further YOU WILL NEED TO BACKUP YOUR CAM!!
I can remember before post was removed your cam "Cline" will be in var/etc. (via FTP)
Back that info up as your about to do a fresh setup.

Download the file in the link above. (openvix 4.1)
Now extract that file and copy the "zgemma folder" into a freshly formatted memory key (FAT32 format)
kingston/sandisk low memory keys recommended.

After you copied the file to your memory key, put your memory key in rear USB port then turn box off then on.
Now you will see "FLASH" on front display of box.
After few mins box will reboot.
Once box has "fully" rebooted it is safe to remove memory key.
Connect your HDD to the rear USB port.
Now mount your HDD. From memory you have already formatted it to EXT4. Go to...

MENU.
SETUP.
VIX.
MOUNT MANAGER.
Then mount your HDD. It will ask you to reboot after ALLOW reboot.
(make sure this is done properly or the rest of my guide is useless)

Now you have mounted the HDD you can set your EPG to download to your HDD and set your timeshift to run of the HDD.
Before we go there set your bouquets...
MENU.
SETUP
SERVICE SEARCHING.
AUTOBOUQUETS MAKERS.
PROVIDERS.
(now keep everthing the same! you only thing you need to focus on "sly ROI area" make that ROI HD.
(now "sly uk area" will be the area you live scroll left or right till you find your local area THEN SAVE) BUT MAKE THAT AS SD!!!
Now exit once then go to "autobouquetsmaker config" and only thing you need to change is the time to start and that will be daily at 05:30 then save.

Exit once then do a scan.
(scan must be in autobouquets maker)
After scan go to....
SETUP
SYSTEM
EPG
SETTINGS (epg location /media/hdd) then save it there.
Now exit once then go to crossEPG then config in there set your storage device to your external HDD and scheduled download to 05:45 then save.
Exit once then go down to opentv providers and select 28.2 then save.
Now in crossEPG menu go to "download now" and let it download.

Hopefully all has went well. Now press.....
MENU
SYSTEM
TIMESHIFT SETTINGS
(now set timeshift location to media/hdd/timeshift)
Then auto start timeshift after 30 seconds. Then save.

Exit once then go to "recording play back settings"
Set "default movie location to /media/hdd/movie.

Now reboot box

After you have done that please post if your wanting sly skin.
(that's the easy part)

HOPE THIS HELPS MATE I HAVE GAVE AS MUCH DETAIL AS I COULD.

Also at anytime your zgemma asks you to reboot allow it.
Just incase I missed them.

A couple of we small things might need ironed out after.
But if all has been done your 90% there mate.

Hey peeps, I have the zgemma H2S which as a sat nub i was totally new to me did some reading as ya do, anyway i went for the wooshbuild

HERE

did the flash used a 8gb stick as the hdd {temp} as I didnt have the hdd i was going to use at the time, all went well everything working, got the hdd 2 days later formmatted it to fat32 plugged it in the back of the H2S went to intialise, it did what it had to do to the hdd, went through that process ok, used the little converter on the box to change it to ext4, all working fine never had any error messages, I am guessing timeshift is for pause rewind and such like?? like i say nub all the way here :) only had one cable connected to A lnb at the time got one to the B lnb now and all works good :)

Just thought i would say how i did mine, for a novice i think it went well :)

cheers

FocuS

Hey peeps, I have the zgemma H2S which as a sat nub i was totally new to me did some reading as ya do, anyway i went for the wooshbuild

HERE

did the flash used a 8gb stick as the hdd {temp} as I didnt have the hdd i was going to use at the time, all went well everything working, got the hdd 2 days later formmatted it to fat32 plugged it in the back of the H2S went to intialise, it did what it had to do to the hdd, went through that process ok, used the little converter on the box to change it to ext4, all working fine never had any error messages, I am guessing timeshift is for pause rewind and such like?? like i say nub all the way here :) only had one cable connected to A lnb at the time got one to the B lnb now and all works good :)

Just thought i would say how i did mine, for a novice i think it went well :)

cheers

FocuS

where is your epg stored?
if its been booted without a hardrive installed , it will return to default which is internal flash
which is not recommended...

Hi buzzer, so do i need to alter some things?? this is a pic of whats on the hdd

View attachment 97098

Cheers

on your remote press

Menu>setup>system>epg>settings

EPG location should be /media/hdd

that assuming your using a vix image loke mine..:)

which you are not lol.

looks ok to me.. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like that could be part of the problem OK. I have decided to completely default the box and flash a new image - may try the Wooshbuild if it's as easy as they say. Cheers
where is your epg stored?
if its been booted without a hardrive installed , it will return to default which is internal flash
which is not recommended...

OK mate.
I am aware that there was an issues probably with the person who set your zgemma up.

Before you go any further YOU WILL NEED TO BACKUP YOUR CAM!!
I can remember before post was removed your cam "Cline" will be in var/etc. (via FTP)
Back that info up as your about to do a fresh setup.

Download the file in the link above. (openvix 4.1)
Now extract that file and copy the "zgemma folder" into a freshly formatted memory key (FAT32 format)
kingston/sandisk low memory keys recommended.

After you copied the file to your memory key, put your memory key in rear USB port then turn box off then on.
Now you will see "FLASH" on front display of box.
After few mins box will reboot.
Once box has "fully" rebooted it is safe to remove memory key.
Connect your HDD to the rear USB port.
Now mount your HDD. From memory you have already formatted it to EXT4. Go to...

MENU.
SETUP.
VIX.
MOUNT MANAGER.
Then mount your HDD. It will ask you to reboot after ALLOW reboot.
(make sure this is done properly or the rest of my guide is useless)

Now you have mounted the HDD you can set your EPG to download to your HDD and set your timeshift to run of the HDD.
Before we go there set your bouquets...
MENU.
SETUP
SERVICE SEARCHING.
AUTOBOUQUETS MAKERS.
PROVIDERS.
(now keep everthing the same! you only thing you need to focus on "sly ROI area" make that ROI HD.
(now "sly uk area" will be the area you live scroll left or right till you find your local area THEN SAVE) BUT MAKE THAT AS SD!!!
Now exit once then go to "autobouquetsmaker config" and only thing you need to change is the time to start and that will be daily at 05:30 then save.

Exit once then do a scan.
(scan must be in autobouquets maker)
After scan go to....
SETUP
SYSTEM
EPG
SETTINGS (epg location /media/hdd) then save it there.
Now exit once then go to crossEPG then config in there set your storage device to your external HDD and scheduled download to 05:45 then save.
Exit once then go down to opentv providers and select 28.2 then save.
Now in crossEPG menu go to "download now" and let it download.

Hopefully all has went well. Now press.....
MENU
SYSTEM
TIMESHIFT SETTINGS
(now set timeshift location to media/hdd/timeshift)
Then auto start timeshift after 30 seconds. Then save.

Exit once then go to "recording play back settings"
Set "default movie location to /media/hdd/movie.

Now reboot box

After you have done that please post if your wanting sly skin.
(that's the easy part)

HOPE THIS HELPS MATE I HAVE GAVE AS MUCH DETAIL AS I COULD.

Also at anytime your zgemma asks you to reboot allow it.
Just incase I missed them.

A couple of we small things might need ironed out after.
But if all has been done your 90% there mate.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Did you see the post by Buzzer about the storage location of the epg? I'm definately going to default the box before flashing the new image just to be sure all of the old crap is gone. Still undecided on which image to use but at least I now have your full instructions for Vix - much appreciated :Wave:

Sounds like that could be part of the problem OK. I have decided to completely default the box and flash a new image - may try the Wooshbuild if it's as easy as they say. Cheers

Hi Rex,

I have been using Wooshbuild for about 6 months now and upgraded to the latest version 4.xxx
His instructions are fool proof and you get set up in about 15 mins. EPG updates daily automatically. It also has a good IPTV plugin which they have filtered out all the rubbish sites etc. this is regularly updated to remove the broken links etc.

I was also able to easily copy my m3u file onto it so that I can watch my subscription IPTV for 3pm footie etc.

The wife is happy because it looks like Sly and follows the EPG style etc.

Worth giving it a go!

Just have UPGRADED to Wooshbuild yesterday and couldn't agree with you more. Relatively easy setup for a newbie, fully functional epg and all in all a better setup than my previous Vix. It even explains to you what the options are when you tick yes or no. I'll recommend it to my friends who use zgemma
Hi Rex,

I have been using Wooshbuild for about 6 months now and upgraded to the latest version 4.xxx
His instructions are fool proof and you get set up in about 15 mins. EPG updates daily automatically. It also has a good IPTV plugin which they have filtered out all the rubbish sites etc. this is regularly updated to remove the broken links etc.

I was also able to easily copy my m3u file onto it so that I can watch my subscription IPTV for 3pm footie etc.

The wife is happy because it looks like Sly and follows the EPG style etc.

Worth giving it a go!

Hi
can anyone help me please. I have Zgemma h2s . Just bought from a friend since August 2016 but have not been enjoying it because it freezes all the time. Now I want to reset the box to factory setting but need help on a good image and cc**m set up.
i want to do it by myself. Please help. Thanks

Back