XP3200 Barton

it dosnt run at 3200mhz

i have the 3000 and it runs at 2.17mhz

AMD's latest offering is the Athlon XP3200+ processor. It uses the Barton core, has 512Kb L2 cache and now runs at 400FSB (200Mhz). Actual clock rate is 2.2Ghz, using a multipiler of x11 and CPU frequency of 200Mhz (400FSB).

I have an XP3200+ and I had a few problems when I first installed it on a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 board.

As David has said, the actual frequency is about 2.192 Mhz or so (Mine runs at that).

The BIOS settings could be to blame but if you have the FSB at 200 MHz x Memory frequency (Should set it by SPD) you should get 400MHz FSB.

I had problems because I was using Dual-Channel DDR with 1.5GB, the memory itself was to blame :(, not good enough to run at the speed, got some better sticks and it worked fine :).

Might be different if you have the RAM configured different though.

Spectre said:
I had problems because I was using Dual-Channel DDR with 1.5GB, the memory itself was to blame :(, not good enough to run at the speed, got some better sticks and it worked fine :).

Might be different if you have the RAM configured different though.

yes m8 for this processer you'll need PC3200 DDR400 memory fast memory for a fast cpu ;)

Yeah Dave got the 400 mhz memory will try the cpu setting you surgest as I just let the bios use auto settings (200 mhz). I'll give it a go and see what happens.

It's kingson memory I'm using so there should not really be a problem with branding.

@ Gary Strange comment ???? You been on the sauce again ?

if it boots and then crashes
it is a heat problem
try re sitting the fan and heatsink
?? have u got the right fan/heatsink
these cpu's (amd) r notorious for it

The Barton 3200
should be running fine with FSB set to 200MHz (this yields a 400MHz FSB) and multiplier set to 11, Core Voltage to 1.65v

Ok just got back from work time to have another look at this thing.

I'll try your heatsink idea dave but the hardware monitor says cpu is at 40 which I think is about normal. It's a Original CPU and fax boxed by AMD so I hope the fan is good enough ;)

Just read in the board book that they cannot guarantee that all ddr 400 memory modules will work properly with this board ???? Bizarr I would have though kingston memory would have been more compatible than most but I'll stick my 333 momory in it to see if it makes a difference.

I am also going to see if there are any bios updates available for this board.

@BK the mulitplier set to 11...... If I pick the auto options for the bios would it not set this for me ? It sets the cpu to 200 mhz on auto.

By the way anit it great to be able to bounce ideas around off each other to solve problems rather than me talk to myself ;)

Thanks

Depends on the board if the multiplier is set correctly. There is another thing, most of the boards don't seem to set the FSB to 200MHz with AMD XP Bartons, so better check it manually.

Oh just to add a bit more info..... The system, when trying to install xp, wined about some acpi compatability issue and to press f7 on installing windows to bypass. I have used this board before with a slightly smaller cpu and did not get this message.

After windows was finally installed it boots up but restarts its self at random......

I'll have to have a look at what version bios is on the board as it may be an older version than the recent one I did just been lying on shelf a bit longer maybe ???

I bet DA' arse that the bios is an older version hehe :)
Try to update, meanwhile i'll see what i can figure about about this ACPi crap

The error shouldnt be related to the AMD. Check h$$p://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064 for more info. Try to either enable or disable ACPI in your Mobo bios. And do an update :)

Back