Hardware Battery replacement now not powering

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A builder friend dropped a laptop off saying not holding charge but works on charger.

Dell Inspiron 7000 gaming 15"

I tested and found the battery wasn't holding charge so I replaced with a decent new one and installed, charged, rebooted without charger 4-5 times to check worked fine. This is on a clean Windows install

He had it a day and said not powering up at all dead, nothing with or without charger.
I just took a look and took the battery out and it worked on the charger. I then re-installed the battery and now it's booting with or without charger.

I then tried go to the F12 diagnostics but it get 2/3rds across and locks up so I have exit.
Do I have to do something in the bios to like activate or reset battery settings?.

I looked in windows battery settings and it shows 96% and will run on battery but not sure for how long before it stops rebooting

Last edited:
A builder friend dropped a laptop off saying not holding charge but works on charger.

Dell Inspiron 700 gaming 17"

I tested and found the battery wasn't holding charge so I replaced with a decent new one and installed, charged, rebooted without charger 4-5 times to check worked fine. This is on a clean Windows install

He had it a day and said not powering up at all dead, nothing with or without charger.
I just took a look and took the battery out and it worked on the charger. I then re-installed the battery and now it's booting with or without charger.

I then tried go to the F12 diagnostics but it get 2/3rds across and locks up so I have exit.
Do I have to do something in the bios to like activate or reset battery settings?.

I looked in windows battery settings and it shows 96% and will run on battery but not sure for how long before it stops rebooting

I never had to change anything in the battery settings after replacing a dell battery but only did it twice. If you cant go through BIOS/EFI settings there could be something else going on here. Try going through settings with old battery in or with no battery. Also i would suggest is to check the battery health in the BIOS.

I replaced a macbook battery a few years ago and exact same thing happened as here where battery would work intermittently. Manufacturer gave me my money back on the battery in the end.

Try updating or reinstalling Battery driver;

Found this on the web ......

Right-click on the Start button or press Win + X, then select Device Manager from the resulting menu. Expand the Batteries section and you should see two entries: Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery.
Right-click on each of these and choose Update driver. Chances are that this won't find any updates, but it's worth a try. You can try updating the drivers manually but your computer manufacturer probably doesn't provide a specific one for the battery.

If updating doesn't do anything, right-click on each of the battery drivers and choose Uninstall device. This will cause your computer to stop interfacing with the battery, but the driver will reinstall when you reboot, so don't worry. Restart your computer once you've uninstalled each battery device.

So I updated Windows and left it running while I nipped out
I left it on 85% install gone and about about 2 hours later I got back it's off.

I had the new battery installed and power cable. I tried turning back on with power plugged, nothing.
I flips it over, undoes the battery and pushed charger back in and and it went straight to health check were it freezes 2 thirds the way through.

I've then put battery in, and it boots, crazy so something's making it crash and the only way to get it to boot is to undo and replace the battery.

I'm pretty sure it's not the new battery because, although the old battery wouldn't hold charge the laptop wouldn't boot with the old battery in and power supply in. The only way it would boot even with the old battery installed was to unclip it then clip it back in and it would run off the power supply till it crashed

So I decided to windows update, update all the Dell drivers and reflashed the Bios. This was listed in red urgent. I've SFC /scannow and chkdsk /f
One thing that getting on my buds is the touch pad. The right button won't give me options when clicked. It works ok but same as the left if you X2 click on either they both just do the same and holding down left won't scroll or move stuff.
I tried reset the touch pad in settings but the reset button is greyed out.
Getting right on me nipples this one.
I've had to plug a mouse in.

Have a look on the dell forums for that model before you do anything else.

I had a dell 9550 XPS a few years ago and it would randomly turn off when not plugged in. Replaced battery and numerous different components and still the same. Installed different OSs, driver, bios etc and nothing made a difference.

Searching the dell forums I found that it was a common issue with that model and the 9560 model. I gave up in the end with the thing as I was after spending 80+ hours trying to fix the bloody thing. Even after knowing it was a common issue I couldn't help but trying to fix it as it was just lying on my desk and was a great machine with 4k touch screen, top of the range i7, 16gb ram and a great dedicated graphics card.

Before you go down a rabbit hole make sure it not a known issue.

That experience really affected my view of dell laptops and I'll never get one again. This is saying something as I think there servers are like the best around. Have worked on tonnes and have one running for 5+ years in my office and never had a single problem with it.

The last time I reinstalled Windows but kept files, this time I'm gonna do a full new install. The rams ok, checked, I'll nip over to dell see if I can see anything, thanks

It's a strange one this though, it turns itself off on its own whether it's on battery power or PSU power and the only way to turn it back on is lift the battery it was doing this on the old genuine battery as well.

There's something def glitching on the Windows side of things as the touchpad right side button won't do certain tasks like hold down grab or or say right click properties. Gonna give it last go today.
I think it's got a SSD for OS and 1TB Sata

Best to put the new hard drive in and start a fresh installation of Windows.

Plus take the battery out and enter bios mode , leave it on and see if it turns off , could be over heating and needs a clean out and some new past onto the cpu ?

I think it's new hard drive time. I did a full re-install windows but the f""Ker won't turn off.
Won't turn off holding button in, then I followed a 6 part guide about laptops that keep starting back up.
I changed upteen settings following a guide :- network adapter, regedit the lot scanned for errors SFC / scannow.
Once it powers down it just powers back up after 15seconds
This is going in the river soon

Same exact problem to the letter with dell inspiron 7559 less than 3 months old. Holding down the power button for even a minute does nothing. I'm going to have to go in there and pull the battery, but it's not such a smart thing to do with the power on even if it is only a battery. Dell, please, don't cheap out on the power button. No one said this but it probably bears mentioning that the computer is frozen. That's what the OP meant by keyboard stopped working. The screen is blank. The backlit keys are lit. The power button is lit. The fan is on the loud side. Machine won't sleep when you close the lid. I set this machine up and I'm a big believer in the power button turns the machine on and off. I'm not a big fan of hibernation, sleeping etc. and I tend to disable them. And my son doesn't fiddle with things so I doubt he adjusted those power management settings.

I had the same problem today and saw your post. Pulled the battery (more precisely, disconnected & reconnected the battery cable to the motherboard) and it worked. Booted up fine after that. Thanks for your suggestion. Disappointed there wasn't any further follow-up from any Dell Support people on this thread.

After a year of dealing with the same problem, I finally found a solution on another forum that works. Take the RAM out of your laptop and put it back in. One is probably out of place and that's what's causing the problem. If you don't know how to access the RAM, you can find a Youtube video on it. If this works for anyone, give it a thumbs up so more people can see.

Worth a shot resiting the Ram ???????????

And checking the on and off connection to the M/B

Sussed and a bit of a nobber amateurs mistake by me, I never updated the drivers on Dell after full wipe chipset, network , audio etc.
One driver a secondary network driver was called Killer or something (critical) so I wonder if it was a power over Lan fix or something were it was turning itself on.
Anyway it's been off for 5 minutes but if I here that fan start up I'm gonna go full chimpanzee, double clenched fist, chest pound it to ground plastic

Hammer time !!
I turned it back on then back off and 15 seconds later it's back on again, I've given up

Do I know it ! I've give it one last chance full reset chipset all drivers windows update then done.
As pointed out by Spud, when you see it splashed all over Dell forums it shouts out loud and clear there's a problem with alot of Dell doing the same

So I let it update rebooted then turned off.
I then lifted lid it started to boot Dell logo, I quickly the closed lid, opened it again and it had turned itself off ? Wtf is that about?. All the power settings are currently default

So I let it update rebooted then turned off.
I then lifted lid it started to boot Dell logo, I quickly the closed lid, opened it again and it had turned itself off ? Wtf is that about?. All the power settings are currently default
Tell him to bin it, it will drive you crazy in the end.
Write your time off as bad luck, another job will be along soon🤞

Back