XP3200 Barton

davidh said:
yes m8 for this processer you'll need PC3200 DDR400 memory fast memory for a fast cpu ;)

When I got the XP2500 and MB I bought PC3200 in case I upgraded the processor - I did and it wouldn't boot with more than one stick in :(.

Had to get better stuff.

Tried the memory in my system which has the exact same board and it run's fine. So i put my memory in the other board and got the same result (crash,reboot,freeze) The bios settigns seem to be all correct so i'm a a bit of a loss at the mo......

Most MBs come with a utility which allows flashing in Windows, there is nothing to worry about LOL.

If you knacker it I could always reflash the BIOS manually for you, if my programmer supports it :).

Most Bios (what the heck is the plural of that word) bring kind of an emergency bios, that lets u flash the old bios or new bios again in case anything went wrong. So be a man and flash it :)

Board of your was an M848A accoridng to DA ?

Just checked the bios and flash tool

1. U need a bootable floppy to allow u booting into dos. The two files AMIF339.exe and the .rom are to be kept on a separate floppy disk, cause they won't fit on the boot disk.

2. When booted into DOS, swap the disks and just type amif339 <filename to flash> and hit enter.

3. If asked to backup ur old BIOS, say yes and savie it to disk (program should ask u, at least Award Bios does so)

4. Wait

5. Wait longer

6. Flash done, reboot machine

Easiest way to check if the flash was successfull is the version number of the BIOS.

If nothing else helps for the moment, just hit "F7" during the beginning of the windows setup (when asked to press F6 for installation of other drivers) and install a Standard-HAL rather then a ACPI-HAL, see if that works

Got system on the machine and can run it at 100mhz anything more than that and its very unstable, loads windows but restarts just as your desktp appears..... I've e-mailed the MB company to see if they can shed any light on it, other than that getting a different board to try seems my only option :(

I'll get there in the end though, I always do :) With a little help from my friends ;)

OK up date, I turned both the memory speed and the cpu down to 100 mhz and got a fresh installation of xp on, and the system is stable at that speed. As soon as you breech the 100 mhz window the system will load right up to the desktop then restart, really pi$$ing you off in the mean time...

Me thinks that this board, although it says it supports this cpu and speed memory, may not in fact be fully upto the job, so i've e-mailed the company to see what their response is.

So what board should I get, nothing flash just needs to work with the 3600+ Bartom and 1 gig of 400mhz mem ???

I knew it would be asking too much to plug it together and it work ... lol

Just me luck eh.... :(

Thanks for alll your help as well.

Sounds really like the board m8, sorry. If the bios update didnt help any, although it was supposed to fix some speed detecting issues with that mobo then to hell with it.

When buying a new board i would look for some from MSI or ASUS, can only recommend them. Always used board from those to companies, never had any problems with them, they also do kinda quality tech. support when u got a few questions.

No problem m8 big help anyway, got the system running at 1900 cpu and memory at 100 mhz seems if i breech the 100 mhz for mem the things get messy... It will do till I sort another board out ;)

I'll have a look and see what the companys you surgest have to offer, tech support is a big plus as the monkeys I am trying to e-mail arn't very big in that department :(

thanks again

Nice board, built a couple of systems up with that brand before, idiot proof connectors...lol almost ;)

I will be looking for a basic board with lan,sound, and a few usb ports as there is a crackin agp 256 rad graphics card lying here :)

Nice one too, but i don't fancy the VIA chipsets anymore. nForce is the one to go for (at least my opinion)

Back