Work Exchange account and IPAD2 problem

pmoore31

Inactive User
Reaction score
Anyone help please.

I have my work exchange account working on my office2010 outlook at home.

I have copied the following

1. my email
2. the server 'as its written in outlook'
3. my user-name and password
4. Not sure of the domain as it does not say that in outlook 2010

All it says is 'the connection to the server failed'

Why cant I get it to work on my ipad? Would it help if I posted any screen shots (a little concerned my company wouldn't approve...)

Thanks

From what i remember with exchange 2010, you need to register mobile devices to allow them to see your mailbox (additionally when i did do this i also had to setup a pac file for it to work)

Can't recall specifically where in exchange, but i know for certain i had issues with this when schools staff wanted to use their iPhones.

So are you saying I will not be able to connect without them letting me?

I think my company run a really old exchange server 2003 ???

Thing is ..... They do not want us to use our own ipads to read emails on, so I am trying to do it on the quiet...nudge nudge...lol

I copied the settings from my work laptop (running outlook 2007) to my home pc (outlook 2010) and that worked fine. (without them knowing of course)

I thought I could do the same on the ipad :(

Without me VPN'ing in I can't say, I just remember having to have this setup specifically for mobile devices and where they used a proxy use a .pac file, 2003 may be completely different.

How are you connecting with your home PC, imap? pop3?

My home PC is connecting via virgin media broadband and set-up using Microsoft exchange (i just copied the settings from my laptop). Can I send you any screen shots or anything else?

So they have their exchange server public facing.....they obviously know sod all about security (unless they are using an ISA server, but that's just me being picky)

I think imap needs to be enabled for access on mobiles. Can you get to the owa address (i.e. owa.somecompany.com)

Last edited:
I phoned IT yesterday to ask if I can log into email via a web based browser and they said we cannot do this

OK, sounds more like....that either don't want to do it, or don't know how to, which is probably why they have it opened up so you can access from a normal exchange connection externally. Most companies either provide VPN access to essentially put your pc on the local network (as if your a local device) or provide OWA for web access (usually with an SSL certificate) or CWA access via a gateway/client.

I'm afraid until you speak to them you're not going to get access, I'm sure you need IMAP/SMTP or Outlook Mobile Access enabled so you can get it on mobile devices, and without seeing/accessing their config then it's hard for me to say.

Sorry I can't be of more help mate

Last edited:
Exos... Thank you very much for the IT lesson mate

At least now I know it's not as straight forward as just typing the same into my iPad

Enjoy the rest of your evening mate:)

I got settings off the IT section of my company web site using an Exchange account, works okay.

Back