Windows 8

just found a better way to shut win8 down inc reboot and sleep options.

Go to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and download the bit of software on that site. it installs and add a tile to the metro bit and desktop (you can delete if from desktop if you wish).

I will add its one fo them installers that trys to add a stupid task bar to your pc so when you come to the install bit make sure you untick the shit toolbar install.

There....an easy for everyone and more option way to shutdown reboot and sleep your win8.

Last edited by a moderator:
dont use it install some shit to your browser....i cant edit my post.

i might add its not a virus but a referal shite thing that gives you a pop up to a survey website..... malware bytes removes it.

Last edited:
Talking about viruses, anyone recommend any good virus protection? Was using VM but they don't support Windows 8 currently.

Remember on pretty much every pc you can simply press the off button to shutdown the pc :) in settings this can be configured to sleep etc.

Sent from my telephone.

oh that software i linked, not a virus but ive asked for it to be removed until i know its 100% legit.... the browser referal shit was nothing more than an extension installed to chrome... i went to extension and deleted it so it might be safe bar the shite extension which can be removed easy..i might have even not unticked the box to stop the instal of it..

no flags on av or malwarebytes and its hosted on respected software share sites (cnet..sofpedia etc..)..might just be me being over cautious.

Last edited:
yep my fault i used cnet installer and must have forgotten to untick a box for the spam they like to install..uninstalled then reinstalled and its fine..no browser popup.

i'll leave it a while before reposting it though just to test.

got 10% done and now it says 21 hrs then it jumped to 15% 1hr 47 mins

Just did a completely fresh install. So far so good. Just the task of installing everything back.

Just so others know even had you done an update to win8 there is an option to reinstall from scratch in the win8 settings section...

Yep, I only updated to keep my settings as I couldn't be arsed on a Sat night full of booze.

I just had my first crash on my new install though so :)

got key for media center,downloading it now. see what happens.

I think Thommo posted this but I think it's the easiest shut down command without installing anything dodgy or otherwise.

There is already a built-in command that been in every version of windows since around win 98. It's called Shutdown.exe and you can create a shortcut to it with options.

Example.

Right click on the desktop and select "new" then "shortcut" and in the box under "Type the location of the item" paste in this -

For a shutdown shortcut

"shutdown.exe /s /t 0"

without speech marks.

For a restart shortcut

"shutdown.exe /r /t 0"

without speech marks.

You can right click on the shortcut and change the icon to something more meaningful
You can then right click on the shortcut and ether pin to start or pin to taskbar (or both).

There are many more commands in windows that you can do this for, open/shut dvd drawer for example.

Last edited:
well i did the 14.99 update and ive got to say im liking it personally... you can still use the old type desktop aswell, i like the speed its deff an improvement from win7.

win 8 pro for 14.99 cant go wrong, plus ms at the minute are doing a free upgrade to get the media center which isnt included normally, ive registered for the free media center pack but ive not got my key yet.

https://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-GB ....note: read the requirements and adjust what you put in the registration ;) (purchase date of your pc).

Add features - Microsoft Windows .......for the free registration of the media pack for the media center (ive registered but no email with key yet for me).

Just got the media pack... thanks for the links Thommo!! :)

If you do what Captin said then move the shortcut to the 'Programs' folder in desktop, it will then show up as a tile in Metro

shows up in metro without having to do that.

Yip. Shows up in Metro once installed. Just need to nudge along for the Media Centre (Windows logo) icon and move it somewhere convenient :)

shows up in metro without having to do that.

Yip. Shows up in Metro once installed. Just need to nudge along for the Media Centre (Windows logo) icon and move it somewhere convenient :)

dont know if every shortcut does but i have them for my c:drive and "my computer" and obviously the shutdown which ive now replaced with shutdown win 8 software .....

thought id chuck a pic of my tiles up... got to say that earlier software for shutdown restart and sleep etc...works fine... the browser hijack wasnt a hijack it was an extension that was installed to chrome via cnet install... i went back and used the exe and not cnet and it installed without all the spam crap some installers want to chuck on your pc..id forgotten to untick a box hence the chrome extension.

p1020780r.jpg

Back