Windows 8

just downloading the 15 notes one cheers lads it's about time l had a legal copy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is it still possible to have your own desktop background I change mine for nasa pictures on a regular basis

edogg

is it still possible to have your own desktop background I change mine for nasa pictures on a regular basis

edogg

Yes the only difference is the lack of start menu, this has been replaced by the start screen. You even get a button to goto the desktop so you can use it just like windows 7. You get all the same personalisation options as windows 7 with the added feature that you can set the windows border colours to match whatever background picture is on your desktop.

They have also removed the "gadgets" from the desktop. But there are ways round that.

Bad news my download of win 8 will not install if i burn it to dvd will i still be able to just update microsoft are unable to (a) answer the phone) or (b) answer the live help must be lots of people like me

shutdown & restart now working, typical for me seeing how I got use to the original process.

I just got off a remote connection to ms tech help about 1/12 hours with him accessing my computer and it would not install keeping my documents and settings and I cant be a~~ed to redo everything so I am getting a refund and I have a dvd with key so i might try again before the refund arrives

If you want your start button back in windows 8 try this. I just saw it on Tekzilla and it looks really good.

It's open source (free).

What is Classic Shell?

Classic Shell is a collection of features that were available in older versions of Windows but were later removed. It has a customizable Start menu and Start button for Windows 7 and Windows 8, it adds a toolbar for Windows Explorer and supports a variety of smaller features.

Classic Start Menu is a clone of the original start menu, which you can find in all versions of Windows from 95 to Vista. It has a variety of advanced features:

Drag and drop to let you organize your applications
Options to show Favourites, expand Control Panel, etc
Shows recently used documents. The number of documents to display is customizable
Translated in 35 languages, including Right-to-left support for Arabic and Hebrew
Does not disable the original start menu in Windows. You can access it by Shift+Click on the start button
Right-click on an item in the menu to delete, rename, sort, or perform other tasks
The search box helps you find your programs without getting in the way of your keyboard shortcuts
Supports jumplists for easy access to recent documents and common tasks
Available for 32 and 64-bit operating systems
Has support for skins, including additional 3rd party skins
Fully customizable in both looks and functionality
Support for Microsoft’s Active Accessibility
Converts the “All Programs” button in the Windows menu into a cascading menu (Vista and Windows 7)
Implements a customizable Start button (Windows 7 and 8)
Can show, search and launch Windows Store apps (Windows 8)
And last but not least – it's FREE!

Welcome to Classic Shell

Is there not some sort of Validation if you make up the fact you bought a PC and haven't to get it at £14.99?

It doesn't look like it Exos - MS only ask for the model number of the machine you've bought.

I have a feeling that MS are pinning the success of the OS on the Microsoft Store, rather than a few thousand people getting Win 8 on-the-cheap.

It doesn't look like it Exos - MS only ask for the model number of the machine you've bought.

I have a feeling that MS are pinning the success of the OS on the Microsoft Store, rather than a few thousand people getting Win 8 on-the-cheap.

Just got my Promo Code, looks like that's all it's used for to get a discount basically.

Not keen on Win8, but for £14.99 it's worth it. Is the download an ISO?

Not as such, the middle option is along the lines of "download to install later". However, you do get a licence key and the ISOs are readily available in the usual places.

Not as such, the middle option is along the lines of "download to install later". However, you do get a licence key and the ISOs are readily available in the usual places.

It's OK, just got it from the VLSC

Last edited:
well now I must say this windows looks like it is for phones not computers I hated it. I installed it on a different laptop to the one I ordered it on so the iso is not locked to a particular mother board .I installed it from the ISO burnt to a dvd It is slower than win xp on the same computer and it looks like it is made for kids to get them off the iphone even connecting to my network took 7 attempts it kept telling me the network key was wrong, then eventually it connected and \i realy could not be bothered to download chrome cus I hate IE and bing. Horses for course I suppose but I liked win 7 straight away and still do

Just got my Promo Code, looks like that's all it's used for to get a discount basically.

Not keen on Win8, but for £14.99 it's worth it. Is the download an ISO?

yes the d/l is an iso so you can burn it to a dvd and install at a later date ;)

fook me . none of my tiles work ? they just open and close straight away ?

anyone have a copy of the iso. my desktop desided to through a paddy and failed to boot on setup with
$windows.-bt\windows\system32\winload.exe missing

since i tried to install this win 8 with ms online help and it failed. Now everytime I try to shut down the win 7 bsod,s with error message x0000f4

Back