Windows 8

MH

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So who is downloading Windows 8 today, obviously with me starting this thread I am.....

£25 for no WGA hassles, worth it in my opinion.

I was looking at it this morning. Are you upgrading? I have Windows 8 Beta but not sure if I will need to reload another version of Windows in order to get the upgrade special price.

where is this ?
I'm a bit behind havn't been on the pc for a week or so.

I've played with the beta's and rc but just can't justify the need for it. I've got no use for the Metro (or whatever they're calling it now) interface and don't see the point in installing it just to drop back to the desktop as there aren't enough features to make it worthy.

I can't see them ever being about to cram everyday functions like proper file management into a fancy interface as it's too impractical and other things like single tiled screens would just feel like a step backwards for what I use an OS for. I'll give it 6 months and re-assess after others have figured how to iron out all the impracticalities and 3rd party developments have tweaked it to see if it's properly usable.

I don't programme that much any more but I've got VS2012 installed and I'll test on a VM if I really need to.

metro interface is not designed for business - whats the point? i know it's designed for Surface thats coming, can't see it picking up well for company desktops. Will wait and see if the enterprise version differs once it comes thru our MS Agreement

Good news, you can do a clean install. It gives you the option to rip to iso :)

Sent from the "Curious Rover"

Last edited:
well i did the 14.99 update and ive got to say im liking it personally... you can still use the old type desktop aswell, i like the speed its deff an improvement from win7.

win 8 pro for 14.99 cant go wrong, plus ms at the minute are doing a free upgrade to get the media center which isnt included normally, ive registered for the free media center pack but ive not got my key yet.

https://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-GB ....note: read the requirements and adjust what you put in the registration ;) (purchase date of your pc).

Add features - Microsoft Windows .......for the free registration of the media pack for the media center (ive registered but no email with key yet for me).

Windows 9 will be out soon lol windows 10 the week after.

im grabbing the upgrade at £25 which i think is a very good deal .......

but what i am concerned about is .... if i upgrade my win 7 full retail to win 8, will i loose my win 7 full retail license.....??? i always get the full retail license as im always upgrading my pc.
so i can upgrade my motherboard and anything else i want to which you cant with an oem license. oem is tied to the motherboard once registered....

as win 8 isnt going on sale as full retail but only as an upgrade or oem (system builder) editions id rather get a cheap vista license and upgrade that to win 8 rather than loose my win 7 full retail license ........

I used the link in Thommo's thread above and got the upgrade for 14.99

well i did the 14.99 update and ive got to say im liking it personally... you can still use the old type desktop aswell, i like the speed its deff an improvement from win7.

win 8 pro for 14.99 cant go wrong, plus ms at the minute are doing a free upgrade to get the media center which isnt included normally, ive registered for the free media center pack but ive not got my key yet.

https://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-GB ....note: read the requirements and adjust what you put in the registration ;) (purchase date of your pc).

Add features - Microsoft Windows .......for the free registration of the media pack for the media center (ive registered but no email with key yet for me).

I used the link in Thommo's thread above and got the upgrade for 14.99

I'm tempted by that offer since Acer will refund your £14.99 ( in my case at least :) )

Windows Upgrade Refund

Is this not just for touch screen PC,s only

No mate. It can cater for mouse and keyboard as well. But because it caters for all platforms (tablets, phones, PC's), it'll take a little getting used to for PC users.

The jury's out from what I've read for PC users so far though. But through time, all PC's will run it. Is it time to bite the bullet and get used to it now? So that in future PC builds/buys we're used to it?

I'm on the fence with this just now....

Last edited:
I have a spare hard drive cradel for my laptop so may give it a go :)

I have a spare hard drive cradel for my laptop so may give it a go :)

you will have a desk top with no start orb on it .... but if you move your cursor to the bottom left hand corner it will appear... and other things will appear if you move your cursor to the top left hand corner and to the right of your screen.. just play about and you will soon get used to it ;)

I highly recommend installing a program called 'classic shell', it emulates win7/vista/xp desktop and lets you boot straight into it, skipping metro. Ideal to ease the transition fro older windows, small footprint.

There is going to be a lot of machines that are not compatible mine for one, can't see me dumping a perfectly good machine still running vista ok

There is going to be a lot of machines that are not compatible mine for one, can't see me dumping a perfectly good machine still running vista ok

i would of thought if you are running vista then running win7 or 8 would be no probs ....

just try the upgrade assistant and see what it says mate

Back