which sats

Richy-G

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello folks , Right I have my new motorised dish up and running (frecarro penta 85cm) I'm in newcastle upon tyne im just wonderin which sats I should be expecting to pull in. so I can get them scanned, thanks in advance

I"m just below you near Hull and get 45E,42E,39E,36E,28.2E, 23.5E,19.2E,16E,13E,10E,9E,7E,4.8E.1W,5W,12.5W,15W,24.5W and 30W.all these are strong,I dont bother with the weaker sats.and I only get a few channels on a couple of them.these are on a 1mt televes dish but I also use an 85cm gibertini which gives only a bit lower readings.

Last edited:
cheers m8 these are ones I have scanned so far that I get a lock on. is 16e a strong sat ? as im not picking up anything for it was hoping to get that really for tring. not had chance to mess around 2 much as the wife moans alot keep getting lol the old "ahh not again"

28.2e , 19.2e , 13e, 9.0e, 0.8w, 5.0w, 8.0w, 15.0w

cheers m8 these are ones I have scanned so far that I get a lock on. is 16e a strong sat ? as im not picking up anything for it was hoping to get that really for tring. not had chance to mess around 2 much as the wife moans alot keep getting lol the old "ahh not again"

28.2e , 19.2e , 13e, 9.0e, 0.8w, 5.0w, 8.0w, 15.0w

16e is actually 3 satellites with differing signal strengths but you should definately be getting the tring txp as this is a very strong one. did you fit the dish yourself or have it fitted by a pro??. if you have l.o.s. you should be getting all txp,s on the powerfull satellites and some txp,s from the other sats. regards mdt

16e is actually 3 satellites with differing signal strengths but you should definately be getting the tring txp as this is a very strong one. did you fit the dish yourself or have it fitted by a pro??. if you have l.o.s. you should be getting all txp,s on the powerfull satellites and some txp,s from the other sats. regards mdt

thanks m8, there is a certain tree there im not sure if this could be causing the problem. you will see this in THIS topics I wrote

I installed the dish with the help of my old man but got an installer to come and align it for me, he aligned to 13e and we tried to setup the vu+ duo box from there to use usals but he had no experience with that type of box, I had signal coming in on tuner B not A. with it getting late and me having used cheap twin sky cable (which is now replaced) we left it at that.

Now I have figured out searching and scanning for channels and the tuners are correct, you think the dish needs a bit more fine tuning to the arc? or could this tree be prob he told me it just makes it over the tree.

Anyhow the guy was friendly enough and offered to return on the coming saturday if all isn't sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really need to be aligning it to 1 west then swing out to 28 east and check for a good signal slightly bending the dish at the corners will let you see if it needs tweaking then go back to 1 west make any slight adjustments. Then do the same process for 30 west this should allow you to track your arc, the tree doesn't look like a problem I have far bigger and closer obstacles and they don't effect me.

Dug up part of this post which although out of date with regard to channel neames etc still describes a great way to fine tune your dish.

==========================================================

TRACKING THE DISH
-----------------
*START*
First check that you have the strongest possible signal on Thor (Business TV). Do this by grabing hold of the top and bottom of the dish and gently flexing this dish upward and downward. You should get a worsening signal as you move the dish up - down - left - or right. If this is not he case then loosen the motor brackts and reallign the motor position left right. loosen the dish elevation nuts and alter the dish up and down until you have the best possible signal. when flexing the dish you are not trying to get the strongest signal, just flex it enough to check if the signal gets better or worse in each direction.

Now drive the dish to Sirius 5 East. Load up the channels list for Sirius and choose "NOVY Canal" You should get a strong signal from this channel - around 90%. Then choose one of the weak transponders on Sirius (Viasat Ticket) These channels are very weak in the UK - even in clear weather conditions on a 1 metre dish you will not get more than about 55% signal on a perfectly aligned dish.

While on Viasat Ticket, flex the dish up and down slightly to see which gives the best signal strength. Make a note of which direction improves the signal UP or DOWN. You can also try manually driving the dish slightly further east or weat with the EAST WEST buttons.

Now go back to Hispasat. Choose "Programaceo" Channel. If you are getting little or no signal flex the dish slightly up or down to see which direction gives better signal. Remember that the dish tends to move slightly too far west on Hispasat so you may need to manually drive it slightly back to the east. Again make a note of which gives better signal UP or DOWN.

If you have a good signal on Hispasat "Programaceo" of say 75% or more - try one of the weaker channels such as "P-Cinema". These channels are again much weaker than others on Hispasat - a well aligned dish gives you around 65-70% signal. Once again flex the dish up and down to wee which direction gives best signal.

If you can't find Hispasat AT ALL then move your dish to 8 or 15 degrees west and repeat the above process to see which is better reception UP or DOWN and make a note.

Now drive the dish back again to Thor 1W "Business TV" and check that it is still perfectly aligned and all this "flexing" has not changed the dish elevation. Reallign if necessary.

Now one of 5 possible situations will have occured. These will be dealt with below. And if you need to adjust the alignment of you dish then remember the next line!

IMPORTANT - ONLY EVER ADJUST THE DISH/MOTOR WHILE YOU ARE ON THOR 1 WEST

Situation 1. Dish gives better signal when flexed upwards on both Sirius Ticket and Hispasat P Cinema - in this case you need to DECREASE the elevation of the motor and INCREASE the elevation of the dish to compensate. Reallign for strongest signal on Business TV then go to *START*

Situation 2. Dish gives better signal when flexed downwards on both Sirius Ticket and Hispasat P Cinema - in this case you need to INCREASE the elevation of the motor and DECREASE the elevation of the dish to compensate. Reallign for strongest signal on Business TV then go to *START*

Note Situations 1 and 2 should never arise if you correctly set the motor elevation to your latitude (eg Liverpool - 53 degrees)!!

Situation 3. (The most common one!!) Dish gives better signal when flexed DOWNWARDS on Sirius Ticket and UPWARDS on Hispasat P Cinema - in this case you need to loosen and rotate the MOTOR a few degrees to the West (Towards HISPASAT) and then tighten up the motor, loosen the dish and rotate the dish back towards the East to compensate. Reallign for strongest signal on Business TV then go to *START*

Situation 4. Dish gives better signal when flexed UPWARDS on Sirius Ticket and DOWNWARDS on Hispasat P Cinema - in this case you need to loosen and rotate the MOTOR a few degrees to the east (Towards SIRIUS) and then tighten up the motor, loosen the dish and rotate the dish back towards the West to compensate. Reallign for strongest signal on Business TV then go to *START*

5. Well Done! You get perfect alignment on all three points!! No further adjustment required

by using two cvery weak signals on Hispsat and Sirius you can get a perfect alignment of your dish - all other satellites are more powerful and you wil have no problem with these.

well ive got 16e now I changed transponder and it got lock. looks like I do get it after all lol doh!

Back