DVB - PC Cards Watch NTL on PC ..

Nozzer, would an au fun not work if the cam accepts fun4s?
If not which image would I write to the mosc? Would a standard one from the mosc section do the trick?
I'm guessing here - but as long as the boxkey on the card matches the boxkey on the cam then any boxkey will work?
Still messing around with the softcam / mediaportal setup so i'll report back if i get anywhere with it

Why do I always have to read these threads :( - just gone and bought a cam now as well - didnt want to feel left out - lol
Got a TT1500c witht the add on ci adapter - I am assuming that with this cam and a suitably progd mosc all should be ok
Can always revert to the softcam anyway as it nicely updated today :)

I don't have a subscribed box at the mo as all iget officially is the broadband service. If i need a boxkey and ird to autoupdate is there a way i could get these?

If you are using a multicam into a dvb-c card then you just make up your own boxkey - any sequence of 16 hex digits you want (the old DEADBEEFBAADF00D is easy to remember). IRD No is irrelevant as its never used in this situation so again, just make one up !

The only thing you need to remember is to use the same boxkey on Cam and any card you use !

Nozzer, would an au fun not work if the cam accepts fun4s?
If not which image would I write to the mosc? Would a standard one from the mosc section do the trick?
I'm guessing here - but as long as the boxkey on the card matches the boxkey on the cam then any boxkey will work?
Still messing around with the softcam / mediaportal setup so i'll report back if i get anywhere with it

Yes, a Funcard/ATMega/Tit2/OPOS etc will work fine on most multi-cams.

For Mosc images, treat the multicam exactly as you would a stb. To all intents and purposes a cam should behave exactly the same way as of you were putting the card into a real box.

Yes, matching the boxkey is the on card and cam is the key (pardon the pun :) )

Cheers Nozzer!
Where dya learn all this???
I'll get me a joker cam and try this with a fun4 / mosc card and see what happens

ok guys have read through the whole post from begining to end and would like to know if there is a tut and a list of hardware and software required and also what pc? cheers guys thanks in advance.

ok guys have read through the whole post from begining to end and would like to know if there is a tut and a list of hardware and software required and also what pc? cheers guys thanks in advance.

I can tell you what I know so far, which is how to get this working with a softcam.

I wouldn't try this with a PC less then about 1.8ghz.

Then you need a dvb-c card:

hxxp://www.hisat.com/proddetail.php?prod=RECVP2031

(This one has a CI already in it if you want to try the cam / funcard or mosc route.)

Then get the program My Theatre (other programs work also, like ProgDVB). In the Plugins directory drop the Yankse and Fenrir plugins. If you look a coupe of pages back there are sets already configure for each area.

Then go to the scanning section of My Theatre and scan the right frequencies for your area. You can look at the dbox services.xml to see which frequencies are used or you can scan for all frequencies in 8mhz steps.

That's it! Your Yanks will decrypt the scrambled channels and the Fenrir will AutoUpdate.

From here you can then get this set up in a home theatre PVR system like MCE or Sage using MyTheatre plugins. Or you can set it up directly in Mediaportal using the link I posted earlier in this thread.

As for using a CAM and funcard, I'm a bit lost. Wouldn't mind someone giving me some links to the bits I need and a pointer to a tut on how to program the funcard and CAM.

ok mate thanks for ur reply but is that the best dvb-c card to get or is there better. and also any tuts available have searched everywhere for this stuff. thanks again.

Hotwire - it really depends on wether u r going for a Windows or Linux solution
For windows there is : mytheatre, progdvb , watchtvpro , media portal , gb pvr
For these if you plan on trying to use some form of windows mce or mediaportal getting a card that has a BDA driver would be a good bet - say like the technotrend 1500c or technotrend 2300c

There is also linux PVR software which is very very good but if you don't know Linux may be tricky to set up
Things like VDR , Mythtv etc - these are best used with full feature dvb-c cards (i.e. hw decoding on board) i.e. technotrend 2100 2300 or older siemens based dvb-c cards
I have yet to come across a really comprehensive tut - but let me know which route you want to take and I will see if I can find something :)

Last edited:
There's really only two types of card.

1/ Those that do all processing on board. These will run on a PC with very little processing overhead. I've run a Fujitsu-Siemens card on a P166 machine without problem. Cost of these cards tends to be in the £120-£250 region.

2/ Those that act only as a line interface. They expect the PC to all the stream processing and Mpeg decoding which means you really need to be running on at least a 1.5Ghz PC (faster if you expect to do anything else at the same time as recording etc). Cost of these card tends to be in the £45-£130 range.

tbh, these days with everyone having fast processors you only really require one of the cheaper cards. These do have the advantage of it being relatively easy for the vendor to add new facilities simply by offering a new download BUT it may depend what you want from the card. The higher end cards tend to have a greater array of output possibilites if you are expecting to connect up to other AV equipment.

Whichever option you go with its probably best to also get the Cam interface module. This usually adds £15-£30 onto the card price if bought at same time as the card but is probably well worth it. Combined with a decent CAM you can effectively make yourself a Mosc card and forget about all the problems you get with SoftCams. In most cases it also allows the original manufacturers software to give you all channels rather than having to configure 3rd party software - again, it depends what you are after !

FWIW, the card i've given the link for before has the CI module and was recommended to me by Saar, the My Theatre developer. It works very well with BDA drivers.

I struggled trying to get a hold of technotrend 1500 recently, every where seemed to be out of stock. As for tuts, I've never found one for dvb-c cards. You should have everything you need to get you going with softcams in this thread.

Can someone give me some links to the bits I need and a how-to for how to program this work via the CI slot. My head's going dizzy trying to work out if I need a CAM, funcard AND a mosc and what I need to do to them.

FWIW, the card i've given the link for before has the CI module and was recommended to me by Saar, the My Theatre developer. It works very well with BDA drivers.

I struggled trying to get a hold of technotrend 1500 recently, every where seemed to be out of stock. As for tuts, I've never found one for dvb-c cards. You should have everything you need to get you going with softcams in this thread.

Can someone give me some links to the bits I need and a how-to for how to program this work via the CI slot. My head's going dizzy trying to work out if I need a CAM, funcard AND a mosc and what I need to do to them.

If you have all the channels working I see no benifit from either a mosc card or a fun, bar more programming and more hassle.

Not that I know a lot about this at pres just looking into it.

If you have all the channels working I see no benifit from either a mosc card or a fun, bar more programming and more hassle.

Not that I know a lot about this at pres just looking into it.

Apart from the fact that I love tinkering :D

I'm thinking that it would improve two things:

1) Slightly quicker channel changes.
2) I could get all channels in apps that support dvb-c but that do not support MD-API plugins, e.g.. I could use it in Sage or MCE natively without going through My Theatre.

Took me a while to refind the thread, now its moved lol.

Just ordered http://www.hisat.com/proddetail.php?prod=RECVP2031 so once it justs delieved be ready for loads of crys for help. Any one know where I can get a free copy of My Theater?

Buying new boxes etc to play with is getting more expensive than paying a sub lol.

Thanks in advanve.

Took me a while to refind the thread, now its moved lol.

Just ordered http://www.hisat.com/proddetail.php?prod=RECVP2031 so once it justs delieved be ready for loads of crys for help. Any one know where I can get a free copy of My Theater?

Buying new boxes etc to play with is getting more expensive than paying a sub lol.

Thanks in advanve.

I know what you mean :)

I started off with a dbox, then added a dreambox, and now this dvb-c business. If you're into pvr / htpc stuff as well it costs you and arm and a leg.

Once you get that card, to get it o work with My Theatre or other apps you'll need the latest BDA drivers. It only ships with its own WDM drivers which no external apps play nicely with. Go to the twinhan site to get the latest BDA drivers.

WatchTvPro works nicely in XP with the standard WDM drivers and CAM. Its not so hot without a CAM though as it has issues with most of the SoftCams available in that it doesn't quite pass the correct information so the SoftCam cant find the ECM streams to decrypt the video/audio streams. This can be resolved by providing a yankse sid cache file but its a pain in the arse to produce/maintain this !

WatchTVPro does have the cleanest most intuitive user interface i've seen though.

ProgDVB/DVBViewer etc always give me the impression of amateur software. There's something distinctly missing in the finish that just doesn't push any buttons fo me.

For any card you get always try the original software first. This should always at least give you the free channels and will give you a good idea that everything is working properly. If you cant get the free channels using the original software then there is absolutely no point in trying 3rd party software !

For people who like to play, try MultiDec. Its one of the original enthusiasts hardware and the thing most plugins are designed to work with. Its very basic by todays standards but tends to be pretty good at scanning and has a lot of plugins for doing all kinds of interesting things ;)

My DVB-C card avvired today so will be trying to set it up tonight, so anyone with any sense will should advoid these boards for a few days: big crow

Back