DVB - PC Cards Watch NTL on PC ..

I have this PC

http://www.higrade.com/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=3254

I have been using MCE for 2 years and like it so do not want to change really, currently I have 2 Dreamboxs attached which work well and I'm happy with the results, but the feed is compersite and I'm thinking I will get better picture quality from an on board card or something that has a firewire input as above - but they are out of stock.

Would still like a Tut re MCE and DVB-C. It was difficult enough to get the dreamboxs reconized:FRIGHT:

I wouldnt mind some pointers or a tut for using a 1500c with media portal
Got it working fine with mytheatre and yankse fenrir . Also managed to get ot working with sagetv using mytheatre to stream the feed. However as MCE2005 is the main household TV (and has been for 2 years ) would like to get media portal working with softcam (have seen some posts that this can be done on other forums)

Just wanted to add if people are looking for a full PVR app like MCE to get this working then you can use Sage TV.

Also you can get the twinhan ci cards from Hisat now for £50. If you use BDA drivers these work a treat in My Theatre.

Sage TV has a My Theatre plugin that you can use to access all your channels though your dvb-c app.

My setup goes like this: My Theatre with yankse and fenrir plugins runs in headless mode minimised to the system tray. I use the Sage TV plugin to set My Theatre as a network encoder to Sage. Then you've got nice lovely interface (use the Sage MC 'skin') and selection of client's extenders to use.

Not sure what you mean by lagging 2-3 secs so I assume that you mean the time it takes to change channel. If you are relying on your program to read stream Id's for your selected channel then it can take a while. Pretty much the only way you will improve this is by using a hardware cam but even then it won't improve by much. My setup takes from 2 - 10 seconds to change channel using a softcam and 1 - 3 seconds using a hardware cam.

Take a look at http://www.dvbshop.net/index.php?cPath=2_14&osCsid=3e7a6cc67f0cf8c4dcad2abfddce501c they have CI interfaces for your card. As well as the the interface you will also need a cam to put in the interface. I've found the Jokercam to be pretty good but many other cams can also handle Nagra - IceCrypt, Matrix etc. All of these cams will allow you to set your own boxkey in one way or another. The combination of Cam interface & cam could set you back going on for £100 though so only you can decide if its worth it !

Now that I've got my Twinhan CI card working with softcams I'm interested in getting it going with a hardware cam.

I've got the CI slot with this card but I'm not sure what I need next. What sort of CAM do I need and what would I need to do with it to decrypt telepest?

Hi Gerner , yep I had it working exactly that way with the network plugin for mythatre to sage and it does work a treat . However it is a bit more clicks through the menus and as mediaportal is almost identical to MCE was hoping could get this working with a softcam

As for a CI for Cable I didnt think any of them would au - even with a genuine card in

Yeah its the AU that I'm stumped on - I'm pretty much out of my depth here TBH. Nozzer mentioned something about transferring a boxkey to the CAM, I wonder if that work? Also, what about programming a funcard? (not that I know how to do that).

I am pretty certain on all of the forums I've seen that there is no way to AU in a cam for Cable :(
You would have to manually put the keys in or stick it in a cable box to update and then stick it back in the cam . Whilst thats fine if the keyrolls are only every so often , but if they ever started rolling them say evry cpl of hours or more it would be an absolute pain in the arse ! :(

I am pretty certain on all of the forums I've seen that there is no way to AU in a cam for Cable :(
You would have to manually put the keys in or stick it in a cable box to update and then stick it back in the cam . Whilst thats fine if the keyrolls are only every so often , but if they ever started rolling them say evry cpl of hours or more it would be an absolute pain in the arse ! :(

Other posts on this thread talk of a softcam and it AUing?

The softcam autoupdates fine, fenrir does the trick very well.

By the way, thank to PJ1 for posting his plugins directory - I was getting a stutter everytime fenrir updated but the version there works flawlessly.

I wouldnt mind some pointers or a tut for using a 1500c with media portal
Got it working fine with mytheatre and yankse fenrir . Also managed to get ot working with sagetv using mytheatre to stream the feed. However as MCE2005 is the main household TV (and has been for 2 years ) would like to get media portal working with softcam (have seen some posts that this can be done on other forums)

I found a thread on how to use yankse and fenrir plugins with MediaPortal:

h**p://dvbn.happysat.org/viewtopic.php?t=37861

Anyone confirm this works yet?
I got all the files if anyone needs them but I can't test cos the missus is watchin tv lol!!
Personally, I'd prefer to AU via my CAM
BTW I got a CI for a TT2300 if anyones interested????

Anyone confirm this works yet?
I got all the files if anyone needs them but I can't test cos the missus is watchin tv lol!!
Personally, I'd prefer to AU via my CAM
BTW I got a CI for a TT2300 if anyones interested????

Which bit, getting it going in mediaportal?

A lot of people in that thread have got it going fine.

Also, apparently md-api is supported natively in the new mediaportal tv engine 3, although at the moment that's still under heavy development and too flaky.

Hardware CAM works just fine on UK cable.

Used a Fujitsu-Siemans DVB-C with a JokerCam and standard Mosc without any problems whatsoever. In fact, its the only way the standard Technotrend application will work as it doesn't recognise softcam plugins.

The JokerCam, and most other multicams that handle Nagra , allow you to enter your own boxkey. Most of these multicams will AU perfectly well on Nagra1.

oh, btw, There are now vista compatible drivers available for various Technotrend premium cards.

I think there's some updated MCE BDA drivers available for various cards as well.

Cheers nozzer - knew they worked in cams , but hadnt seen that they AU'd ok : multi :

Now if they can get Vista MCE working witha softcam (without any mytheatre streaming or the like I would be happy)

Nozzer,

I want to get a cam and card AU.

Cams and mosc's are new to me, can you give me a bit of guidance on what I need.

Here is a ZetCam that HiSat say is also sold as a joker cam:

http://www.hisat.com/proddetail.php?prod=CAMMERLIN

This is my understanding so far. As well as the CAM I need a phoenix programmer and a MOSC card - (any advice on what sort or where to buy either of these things appreciated).

Then I need to program the MOSC card.

Does this sound right so far?

Also, rather then shelling out for a programmer is there anyone I could get to program up the mosc card for me?

In order to use a CAM your DVB card will obviously require the pcmcia cam interface board. This is usually an add on that costs £20-£30 although some high end dvb cards do come with a pcmcia slot ready to accept the cam.

Next you will need the cam itself. I dont know much about the ZetaCam but if its Joker compatible and will accept the Joker firmware then it will work no problem. You will probably require some way of programming the cam with the appropriate firmware. Most cams these days can be programmed with a Fun4/5 etc which has been appropriately programmed. Obviously this means you will probably need a programmer capable of making Funcards.

If you can get a cam which already has firmware on it capable of handling Nagra then you may be able to bypass this step.

Once the cam has been programmed you should be able to just put it in the cam slot of the dvb card. Hopefully the dvb card software should find the cam automatically and you should then be able to access the cam menu. This should allow you to change the Nagra boxkey to anything you want.

For programming the Mosc card you will need a phoenix compatible interface. As you will probably require a fun programmer as well you may as well go for one of the multiprogrammers - maybe a duolabs dynamite or similar.

this sounds pretty hairryy! Definitely gonna need a weekend or two to get my head round all of this.

Does this to-do list look reasonable?

I've got a twinhan ci card so I think i can then go straight to getting a CAM.

Then i need to program the cam with Fun4 / Fun5.

Then I need to get a mosc card and program it with a correct image and boxkey.

Bleedin ell I've got a lot ot learn! :D

I don't have a subscribed box at the mo as all iget officially is the broadband service. If i need a boxkey and ird to autoupdate is there a way i could get these?

Last edited:
Back