vw water lost

hairy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guy could someone help if poss i have a vw and i'm ( losing or using ) water , there is know water coming from the matrix and the head is ok there is know signs of a leak help needed thanks

hairy said:
Hi guy could someone help if poss i have a vw and i'm ( losing or using ) water , there is know water coming from the matrix and the head is ok there is know signs of a leak help needed thanks
what vw is it m8t and year and have u checked to water pump?

hairy said:

I would be more inclined to say the head gasket, as it is not leeking anywhere visible, but burning it. Have you got any light/white smoke coming out the exhaust?...What rate is it using water?

Gary Jackson said:
I would be more inclined to say the head gasket, as it is not leeking anywhere visible, but burning it. Have you got any light/white smoke coming out the exhaust?...What rate is it using water?
the only white smoke is in the morning when it is cold but when it warms up its ok water it needs filled up every 2-3 weeks

Well I'd still be looking at the head gasket, it's sounds like it's on the way out.

Last edited:
could it be the wrong anti freeze i'm using . the car is over due a service could it be that

Gary Jackson said:
Well I'd still be looking at the head gasket, it's sounds like it's on the way out.
its been like this for a couple of months now ???????? It would of show by now if it was the head gasket

hairy said:
needs filled up every 2-3 weeks
thats a good engine l've never had to change a head gasket on on of them?
water pump yea. water pumps can leak when driving and show no sights of a leak when standing.
the one problem thay have is the pressure caps not sealing.
if it was mine l would put some rad sealer in it and see if it slows down first,some times water leaks can turn to steam if there slow and u may of missed it?

hairy said:
could it be the wrong anti freeze i'm using . the car is over due a service could it be that

Doubt it m8, as it would still burn any fluid that is in the cooling system, be it water/coolant or anti-freeze. It probably has a few pinholes in the head gasket allowing the cooling system fluid to enter into the combustion chamber/s, hence burning water/coolant off at a slow rate. It will get worse as time goes on, but watch it as if it overheats you could be looking a new cylinder head. Not sure if your car has an ally head on, but if it has they are subceptable to warping if over heated.

smirnoff_rules said:
thats a good engine l've never had to change a head gasket on on of them?
water pump yea. water pumps can leak when driving and show no sights of a leak when standing.
the one problem thay have is the pressure caps not sealing.
if it was mine l would put some rad sealer in it and see if it slows down first,some times water leaks can turn to steam if there slow and u may of missed it?
i'll try that see now it goes thanks :Cheers:

Gary Jackson said:
Doubt it m8, as it would still burn any fluid that is in the cooling system, be it water/coolant or anti-freeze. It probably has a few pinholes in the head gasket allowing the cooling system fluid to enter into the combustion chamber/s, hence burning water/coolant off at a slow rate. It will get worse as time goes on, but watch it as if it overheats you could be looking a new cylinder head. Not sure if your car has an ally head on, but if it has they are subceptable to warping if over heated.
it has a ally head it's not over heating but i will keep that in mined thanks for all your help :Cheers:

Dutcho said:
No signs of any leaks ? cystals round pipe's or anything ?

No sing of water getting into oil ?
no nothing like that

hairy said:
the only white smoke is in the morning when it is cold but when it warms up its ok water it needs filled up every 2-3 weeks
lol i have to say after some one saying white smoke in a morning and i know all petrol engines do first thing but the question no one has asked yet as a lot of pasats are is is it diesle?????

pil196 said:
lol i have to say after some one saying white smoke in a morning and i know all petrol engines do first thing but the question no one has asked yet as a lot of pasats are is is it diesle?????
its diesel and all diesels have a little white smoke when its cold

as daft as it may sound you could be filling it up to much thus causeing an air lock so your water is actually vaporising have your system bleeded via the bleed screw if this dose not work then its a bigger probblem

pil196 said:
as daft as it may sound you could be filling it up to much thus causeing an air lock so your water is actually vaporising have your system bleeded via the bleed screw if this dose not work then its a bigger probblem
no im not filling it up to much but bleeding the system sounds good

Back