Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

vw water lost

hairy said:
its diesel and all diesels have a little white smoke when its cold
thought u said it was a 1.8 w reg passat the diesels is a 1.9???
if its the diesel the only problem l have seen is the water cooler that sits on top of the fuel filter(will its a fuel heater)they stopped using them in 2001 because of them leaking.
have a look at that

Last edited:
no one asked this
how much water are you having to replace? if its only a very small amount could just be normal lose from old pipes clips water bottle or rad
i would go with some radwell
when you go to your car in the morning after it standing over night any water on the floor? under car?
could just be change in the weather
is the car over heating at all

smirnoff_rules said:
u said it was a 1.8 w reg passat the diesels is a 1.9???
i never saw the 1.8 so sorry the question was answerd time ago
a bit ov a diesel fan me self no ignition timing to faf about with and al that
and that looks like a nifty bit of softwaer you have ther smirnoff

leggoman said:
no one asked this
how much water are you having to replace? if its only a very small amount could just be normal lose from old pipes clips water bottle or rad
i would go with some radwell
when you go to your car in the morning after it standing over night any water on the floor? under car?
could just be change in the weather
is the car over heating at all
theres no water on the floor under the car

smirnoff_rules said:
thought u said it was a 1.8 w reg passat the diesels is a 1.9???
if its the diesel the only problem l have seen is the water cooler that sits on top of the fuel filter(will its a fuel heater)they stopped using them in 2001 because of them leaking.
have a look at that
its a 1.9 , 90 bhp

hairy said:
its a 1.9 , 90 bhp

so it is a diesel yes first of have the system bleeded also take the engine up to
4000 rpm and look out for a plume of white smoke DONT over rev the engine at a stand still as you can damage your cam belt
let the reves drop an punch the ecselorator back up to 4000 revs if you see a little plum of black smoke thats a good singn

pil196 said:
so it is a diesel yes first of have the system bleeded also take the engine up to
4000 rpm and look out for a plume of white smoke DONT over rev the engine at a stand still as you can damage your cam belt
let the reves drop an punch the ecselorator back up to 4000 revs if you see a little plum of black smoke thats a good singn
do i do this when it's hot or cold

hairy said:
do i do this when it's hot or cold

best to do it whene the engine is warm as the cold start will hide eney singns ov head gasket damage but if you do see a bit of black smoke and the engine is not runing slugish then i would not wory about it to much as then you know its not going to cost the earth

pil196 said:
i never got any white smoke i got a little plum of black smoke if that helps you help me

hairy said:
i never got any white smoke i got a little plum of black smoke if that helps you help me
then it sounds like your engine is fine ie not the head gasket
you must have a slight leek just keep your eye on your water level
and if its not loseing a lot in a short period of time i would not worry to much
as the leek will show in time

but i would still have your system bleeded and peraps a new thermostat
also i know its not cold at the mo but keep it toped up with antifreez

Back