Vu Duo + Solo clones now available to buy, just been emailed

Thanks for the heads up ! wondering where the support will actually come from for these boxes then ?

silly question, i dont have a vu, but arnt the images that are available now not stable?
if i was buying one i would use an image from a few months back, i would imagine it would be stable and be timebomb proof.
then again i have been wrong before

i only have original receivers here, and ive got quite a few different ones, but, i do like to follow whats happening with clones as well.

when the DMM clones first came out, the main support forums had (and still do) the same stance on clone support, this hasnt stopped clones masivley becoming popular though, it also hasnt stopped the clones from 'evolving' via countless hardware improvements and manufacturers, and hobbyists, patching and modifying official images to work on the clone machines

personally, i buy originals for the build quality, to pay for further R&D into future models, and reliability, but, its also a big part of my 'hobby' to play with the latest hardware, even if i dont use the latest software on it

as i also deal a LOT with end users of equipment, i can also see how everyone wants to save a few quid, and most people, once it works, they stick with it. my DM800 was on a BH image for over 2 years, my Vu+ Duo is still on Vix2.0, they work, they do what i want from them, i dont 'need' to update them, and for most people, save over £100, stick with an older image, job done, it works, they watch telly on it, sorted

DW is neither a clone 'promoter' nor a clone unfriendly place, we help people get 'their equipment' working, but, i also fully understand places stance against clone support

ive a feeling the number of clones will go up, the prices will come down, and in about a years time, clones will be outselling originals, just like the DM800SE is doing now, and 'the community' will adapt to fulfill this new niche

looks like it could be a job for the ur team to get a working image together that does all it should do now they are redundant from tm lol

the support will come from the ferrari team, all images work with the clone boxes as good as the original except the new updated kernel , but the ferrari team have nearly finished a work around so that the cloned boxes will work with the new 3.11

in my opinion one of the worst hit by the new VU+ Duo clones will be the TM Twin if its ever finished. I would also expect to see a drop in the price of the DM800 SE clones. Vu have already released new hardware.

in my opinion one of the worst hit by the new VU+ Duo clones will be the TM Twin if its ever finished. I would also expect to see a drop in the price of the DM800 SE clones. Vu have already released new hardware.

To be honest the only reason I am considering a vu clone is that people want an affordable twin feed Hd box. I have been telling people about the Technomate Twin since September and have quite a few interested. I might get them clone vu duo instead of waiting for a product that may not come out for six months. The images should be ok for the clones, we don't know what they will be like for the TM twin.

I would rather buy original products but price and waiting time may dictate different this time.

it boils down to ..
Do i think VU boxes are overpriced ... yes
do i think DM boxes are overpriced ... yes
i tell yer .. if these vu clones are anywhere near as good has the DM clones have been, when my original vu boxes bite the dust i will go for a clone and
will not think twice about it, and i dont think any one else would think twice about it either.
also as we have seen with the genuine dreamboxes ....these clones will not drive down the prices of the genuine boxes.
i hope they perform as good as they look .

it boils down to ..
Do i think VU boxes are overpriced ... yes
do i think DM boxes are overpriced ... yes
i tell yer .. if these vu clones are anywhere near as good has the DM clones have been, when my original vu boxes bite the dust i will go for a clone and
will not think twice about it, and i dont think any one else would think twice about it either.
also as we have seen with the genuine dreamboxes ....these clones will not drive down the prices of the genuine boxes.
i hope they perform as good as they look .

I agree with that logic, both VU and DMM are overpriced. Yes DMM are massively overpriced but they also invest the most money into software development almost all other Linux E1/E2 box manufacturers clone/leach off DMM in some form or the other including VU.
If a clone DM800SE can be purchased for 155 quid....why is a VU DUO £329 when all it really offers is an additional tuner ??

If the clone VU DUO are good then they will sell well. Only thing is being a Ferarri Team product, the software support is not brilliant..they also tell a lot of lies so basically if VU implement anti-clone measures dont expect Ferarri to be "speedy" with work arounds or patching...You may be stuck with older images...but as mentioned if the current images are stable who cares...patches and support will come if theres money to be made.

Looks like the VU Clone wars have started...Ferarri already claiming to have deeathed the anti-clone measures in the newer VU images.

" We are testing security IC update of our VU boxes. We plan release update software changes security IC contents. The update should be done by the included serial cable. VU company changed the security IC contents and we have to do the same. Older images should not be affected by the update. The update solves CFE 3.0 boot loader with memory extension."

Just to get this clear.

These security measures will only be applied to new versions of images and if we were to use an older image then we would be safe image wise. I have an original clone and like other posters have said it is still on an older ver(vix 2.1) if i remember correctly as it does all I need. Just making it isnt like windows where updates can be pushed to the box by a server, theoritically meaning it couldnt ahve updates pushed to it by anyone?

Just to get this clear.

These security measures will only be applied to new versions of images and if we were to use an older image then we would be safe image wise. I have an original clone and like other posters have said it is still on an older ver(vix 2.1) if i remember correctly as it does all I need. Just making it isnt like windows where updates can be pushed to the box by a server, theoritically meaning it couldnt ahve updates pushed to it by anyone?

an original clone? :proud:

ANY image can have updates 'pushed' to it from a server if its written into the image, even a plugin can have this ability, the receiver is a small linux based computer, so just about anything is possible

i created a plugin for the TM800, where once its run once, any channel list updates are automatically installed from a remote server, itd be just the same for actual 'image' updates to be installed by the receiver, all on its own, and for a while quite a few teams have been quietly discussing this idea

According to Ferarri team images and drivers from 2011 are safe, it is the newer drivers from 2012 that introduce the genuine box check.

" unfortunately we have received message that new VU drivers are containing a time bomb - same as old timer DM500 (SD) . VU box has no First Stage and no Second Stage loader - it boots just from the same chip that the image is stored in. Than if there is a detection of any difference between genuine and OEM box than it is easy to kill such a box. Be considerable and use the box with tested software only. Basically we can say VU genuine software released till 2011 is safe for our OEM boxes. Better do not use latest software from other sources than our support forum or web page."

"We are working hard on PC software that will flash the boot partition back to you VU solo or duo in case of ERASING by possible future BOMB attack. We will release the software here very soon. So in case of emergency you take the included cable (both for update of security IC and for flash your boot sector) connect one end to your VU OEM and another to your PC. No need even to open your box. All will be done by our software we plan to deliver a couple of days after New Year's Eve. So no fear, Ferrari boxes are always the best and safe. "

"20111230
- fix 3d setup in MODE1
- fix ui position setup problem

- Fix recording problem

- Add interface to check genuine box
- Fix recording stop problem.
"

so can we buy a clone or not lol? and latest image that could be put on it?

F knows what I was thinking there. I have an original vu duo I think I meant to say.

so can we buy a clone or not lol? and latest image that could be put on it?

From what Ferarri Team say the drivers released by VU on dated "20120102" contain the Genuine Check. So on a clone you need to use a image from 2011 using drivers older then "20120102". Or you can use any PATCHED image from the Ferarri forum. Do NOT use any image that is unpatched or uses drivers "20120102" or later, also do NOT use any online update feature contained within the images.

Basically it looks like they will start using tactics similar to dreambox style patched images, i.e: until workarounds are found to bypass genuine checks older drivers will be patched to newer images.

Personally I would say dont buy a clone VU yet...sit back and see how quickly Ferarri Team react to VU counter measures and keep an eye on how many patched images etc appear. Also this will give time for any hardware issues to start getting reported etc..

Last edited:
From what Ferarri Team say the drivers released by VU on dated "20120102" contain the Genuine Check. So on a clone you need to use a image from 2011 using drivers older then "20120102". Or you can use any PATCHED image from the Ferarri forum. Do NOT use any image that is unpatched or uses drivers "20120102" or later, also do NOT use any online update feature contained within the images.

Basically it looks like they will start using tactics similar to dreambox style patched images, i.e: until workarounds are found to bypass genuine checks older drivers will be patched to newer images.

Personally I would say dont buy a clone VU yet...sit back and see how quickly Ferarri Team react to VU counter measures and keep an eye on how many patched images etc appear. Also this will give time for any hardware issues to start getting reported etc..

good idea. i always found ferrari a bit lagging behind sim2 who my opinion are the best team on the scene. Full support from the programmers themselves and their boxes and images most up to date. Wish sim2 had come out with this clone or any other twin tuner for that matter

good idea. i always found ferrari a bit lagging behind sim2 who my opinion are the best team on the scene. Full support from the programmers themselves and their boxes and images most up to date. Wish sim2 had come out with this clone or any other twin tuner for that matter

if dreamoem/sim2 team wrote/patched a couple of images then replacing the ferrari sim to a sim2.01,sim2.10 or whatever would give you a sim2 vu clone.. maybe sim2 will release their own version?. personnally id wait a while before buying one untill the bugs are ironed out in the hardware/software and the price comes down as atm a vu solo clone is selling at £130 but you can get a original off that guy from estonia for £178. regards mdt

Looks like there will be delays on the patching for to allow the latest images to run on VU DUO clones, Ferarri team statement from 19/01.

"I have an update about SEC IC update. The changes made by genuine company were really huge. This time the security chip is checked much harder. We have working version that can use latest CFE boot loader and can work with the box itself but now each transponder tuned uses different algo to check the IC so it will take about 2-3 weeks more. We have our beta version working but each transponder algo takes some time to update. Not all transponders are working for us now. Please wait."

if dreamoem/sim2 team wrote/patched a couple of images then replacing the ferrari sim to a sim2.01,sim2.10 or whatever would give you a sim2 vu clone.. maybe sim2 will release their own version?

I personally think it is more likely sim2 team will look to produce a twin tuner for the DM800SE

Back