Vista to XP

fezzy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have a Toshiba Equium 400 Laptop with Vista installed and i don,t like it
at all. How easy is it to put XP on it ? Do i have to do a complete re-install or format
or will XP just install over it ?

Fezzy

I think you would just install over it mate.
You could use hirens boot disc and select one of the partition programs and format it or use the xp installation disc.
Or get a copy of windows 7 and bang that in as its much better than vista.

i would suggest you have a look at all the devices on the laptop in computer management and check that there are xp drivers available.

if there are i would download them all and put on a memory stick or cd /dvd etc and then re-format and do a clean instal of xp, i have never been a fan of upgrage/downgrade route.

i would suggest you have a look at all the devices on the laptop in computer management and check that there are xp drivers available.

if there are i would download them all and put on a memory stick or cd /dvd etc and then re-format and do a clean instal of xp, i have never been a fan of upgrage/downgrade route.

Agreed, i could never see the point in that either.
Better with a clean install and get it off to a good start.

You can download the drivers from the Tosh site. The link below is for a Satellite Pro U400-S1001V. Not sure what exact derivitive of U400 yours is but you can get all the drivers for it from this site, XP and Windows 7.

Model Content Page

But as hatab and hoppy confirm it's bes to do a clean install, never having been a fan of upgrades myself either. But just for the record don't bother with XP if you can get W7, which is better than XP will ever be.

Thanks Guys

As it goes, i,ve got Windows 7, so rather than go down to Xp, i,ll do what
you guys have suggested and install it.

By the way its the Equium U400 145 with 2gb mem. Wife bought it for me last Xmas ( 2008 ) so its 14 months old and i,ve only used it maybe a dozen
times if that, and yes its got everything on it.

Cheers Guys

fezzy

i would use a partition tool to chop off vista and keep it on the hdd as then if you ever come to sell it then its got everything it came with you will loose about 10 gig hdd size but it then there to boot into if you get any problems with 7 m8

Have to agree.
If it looks like you'll be planning to sell it then I would use say something like partition magic/ any partition tool & keep the vista partition with the laptops OS, I'm assuming thats what your laptop came with & that you have the legit serial on the bottom.
If it didnt come with vista or its not the original os then it doesn't matter.
But.
Have to agree its always better starting off with a clean partition, so I never upgrade/ downgrade/ write over... make sure when you install the partition its nice & freshly formatted ;)

Back