Vauxhall Zafira: Known issues?

Crikey...

With Vauxhall, and most of the manufacturers that use a dual mass flywheel these are all a problem.
If you are buying a used diesel, idle the car in neutral, and let the clutch up slowly. If its on its way out, it sounds like gravel in a metal bucket being slowly swirled around. When its knackered, sounds like someone kicking the bucket down the street. You can also hear a similar noise if you let the allow the car to catch the transmission up.. 15mph 2nd gear dip the clutch, then let it back up with no acceleartion.

Other than, that, vauxhalls are cheap..yes, but so are the repair bills, Galaxy and their equivs (sharan) have some nightmare electrical problems.

Another thing to watch (just presuming its a diesel) is that theres been no petrol put through it. Sadly, other than having a sniff of the filler theres no other way to tell. If petrol has been run through it, it can burn the injectors or their seals out.

But the best bet is to check out honest johns opinion of it.. Over the many years of buying cars, he has never let me, my family, or my friends down with his opinion..Which aare unbiased, and doesn't compare everything to his mate Daves Subaru

Nice to see some balanced points of view in the last couple of posts. It makes a change from the usual 'Top Gear' inspired Vauxhall bashing.

Fwiw our family has had five Vauxhalls over the past fifteen or so years. Two Corsas and three Astras. None of them has cost me a penny other than for insurance, fuel and basic servicing.

Over the same time frame I've owned:

1 x Jaguar - Nice car but eats money.

2 x Citroens - Best driving experiences of any cars I've ever owned, but eat money.

1 x Mercedes - Never again.

Guess what I'll be spending my money on next time.

Which aare unbiased, and doesn't compare everything to his mate Daves Subaru

If you're gonna try and rip the piss at least get it right, they own a mixture of Mitsubishi, Honda and Mazda :) Not a subaru.

And my opinion is not unbiased, it backed up from experiences and fact's. Feel free to google.

If i was gonna by a 7 seater it would be the Toyota something verso (Dont rember the full name of it) but it will be bullet proof.

just out of intrest to the " nara" above - Why did you go though so many vauxhalls, and could you point out where i refeared to topgear? :S

Last edited:
ok lets get back on topic please.

EGR valves are common faults from what i read, i have a 2.0 ltr diesel zafira.

You didn't. Could you point out where I said that you did, or indeed where I even referred to one of your posts?

regards

the "nara" above

As usual an awesome post clear and concise

Wasn't ripping the piss out of anyone here... What's the point? I was referring to how honest john reviews vehicles..

If it's the corolla verso you refer to.. Just a couple of things to watch out for. These are either recalls, or common faults..

2.0 D4D turbo failure which then gets injested into the engine and destroying it at around 80k - 100k

Head gasket failing on the 2.0 and the 2.2d

2.2 chain cam diesel using 1 litre of oil for every 5000 (this isn't a fault however. Toyota see this as normal).

O and not to forget the airbags deploying when the ignition is turned off.

I also own a Vauxhall. 3.0 v6 diesel. Yes, I do consider it to be shite.
It does however do 200 - 300 miles a day. It can do an easy 40mpg, costs £200 a year fully comp (protected) a year to insure. I've changed the oil twice since I've had it, and never had to top it up. Other than tyres, and brakes I've spent nothing on it... 4 years old now and cost me £5k. One of the best piles of crap I ever bought...

My Mother was one of the reasons the Yaris got a recall. Didn't hit anything, but the brakes failed.. Would I let her go anywhere with my kids in it.. No I wouldn't.

And i fixed your post spelling and grammer for you :)

"If your'e going to slate the car spell it correctly. As for your list its nonsense anyway. Justifying your car selection because Mazda is number 2?... The list seems suspect at best, with Ford and Audi also not coming out too well."

And I did it correctly :proud:

imho jap stuff is second to none ...
diesel and vauxhall shouldn't ever be mentioned in the same sentence
vag group cars are getting worse too much sh*t on em to be honest
pug / cit "no comment" :sneaky:

ford i dont rate ..cos i personally don't like em

so it leaves very little but........

honda has a good rep and hold there resale value with the best of em .....

i drive a vectra so aint too fussed as i repair it myself .....

so no bias just my opinion ?

I had a Vectra 1.9 CDTi 150 and the engine never missed a beat.

Cheap and chips easy to repair.

I don't think they will go wrong with a Zafira personally.

I had a y plate zafira and it didnt give me any trouble - it was 3 years old at the time - a friend has a 54 plate petrol and has had the egr valve changed at least 4 times in the last 2 years. They also have a small boot space when the last row of seats is being used.

its common issue in vauxhall drinking oil, electric faults when they reach near 70k some issues are nightmare one of common is immobiliser

why not check toyota corola verso more reliable and trouble free but tight in space though.

Back