Urgent advice Re fence legalities please

I've done that mate, in the letter last week I passed in, I said thank you, but we will paint it ourselves...

I should have said earlier, it's a council house, so no deeds available. (I think that is what his problem with us, virtually every house on the street is private now, except for a handful, and he thinks we're council estate trash! I'm not, I just won't be bullied by him and his mate re parking, which is why he now hates us.)

I guess I'll have to ring the council in the morning and get the low down and see what they say, and maybe pop down the CAB for good measure.

Why is life always such a fecking pain in the arse... I'm so fecking tired of it all. We just want a quiet life to bring up the boy in a nice family home, and yet some shit can take against you and make your life crap. Even my wee fella asked us at tea time, "why can't we move away from the nasty people". He's only four FFS. :(

Go to the council try and get a transfer move away from the pondlife :Chainsaw::Chainsaw: and when you move cut the fooker down with the attached tools

Thanks mate, I've been in touch them, and he doesn't want to know, as I said above somewhere, he just got really narky with me because I wouldn't bow down to the pressure.

That said, I've had a run in with this council bloke before, because I asked for them to put up a fence on the other side of me in the back garden. The fence that was there was wrecked when we moved in, and in one section it was just a length of wire between us and the old lady next door. However she has got an uncovered pond, and we were very wary of letting the lad out there unsupervised, because he could easily have slipped in to next doors garden and into the pond. It took me nearly two years to get them to put a fence up.

Eventually I got it done because this same council guy turned up and started to refuse the fence, saying it wasn't their problem. Then he started to look around the rest of the garden, and saw a few bricks I've got piled up behind my shed. I told him that was the bricks from when we took a wall down in kitchen. (With permission!) We kept them, because we intend to use them to level up parts of the garden.

He then says he's had a complaint about the bricks from the planks on the other side who give me all the hassle. He said they think the bricks will cause damp in their wall because of circulation or something. I just laughed, and told him they were being utterly ridiculous. He then turned to me and says, "well, maybe if you get rid of the bricks, then I will agree to do your fence..." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He was trying to blackmail me, FFS! I went off on one, and said to him how dare he try and blackmail me like that, and who the feck did he think he was. (I also blagged about having a webcam monitoring the garden with audio, and it would have just recorded what he just said.) He immediately went red faced, started stuttering and very quickly back tracked on his comment. Two weeks later the fencing was agreed in writing. And nothing was mentioned about the bricks again.

So you see, my housing officer is just not interested. He's made that blatantly obvious.

as i said earlier, if you get no joy from your housing officer demand to see his manager, if you get no joy there tell him your taking it to your local MP ,and let your housing officer know you plan to tell his manager and your MP what he said about the bricks...just watch something will soon get done i promise,,
good luck,, and don't move house just because of neighbours you have just as much right as them to live there...and if you really must move try and exchange with a large asian or polish family and make sure you make your neighbours aware of it and that they are the cause.....

my mate john (who is a marine) owned his own house and was having similar problems with neighbours, so he took a for sale sign out of an empty garden and put it up in his
then two weeks later he got a freind of ours (who's asian and also in the military) and all his brothers and sisters , nephews and neices 7 cars in total (might i add this was originally our mate Dillips idea) all in to view his house, all the kids playing cricket in the back garden, you know typical stuff,Dillip even had a cow deliovered from the local farm for the day (the best £200 he ever spent), within one hour the neighbour was round asking what the perty was and john told them its not a party but a buyer veiwing his house...
the next day the neighbour was round appologising and promised life will be better between them now.....that was 6 years ago now,they even have barbecues together and quite often go out...but john still hase'nt told him the truth....

my mate john (who is a marine) owned his own house and was having similar problems with neighbours, so he took a for sale sign out of an empty garden and put it up in his
then two weeks later he got a freind of ours (who's asian and also in the military) and all his brothers and sisters , nephews and neices 7 cars in total (might i add this was originally our mate Dillips idea) all in to view his house, all the kids playing cricket in the back garden, you know typical stuff,Dillip even had a cow deliovered from the local farm for the day (the best £200 he ever spent), within one hour the neighbour was round asking what the perty was and john told them its not a party but a buyer veiwing his house...
the next day the neighbour was round appologising and promised life will be better between them now.....that was 6 years ago now,they even have barbecues together and quite often go out...but john still hase'nt told him the truth....

lol, classic!

Just thought I'd mention, looks like I've one this particular battle about the fencing. For now anyway.

As I mentioned, I got nowhere with the council, so I just wrote a letter explaining what I'd read, and been told by experts, (!) that in this instance, I was perfectly entitled to refuse them access, and would paint the fence myself.

We did this a few weeks ago, and before we'd even finished painting the damn thing, I had a letter stating they'd be suing me for damage to their fence, because of any drips that end up on their side of the fence...! We just carried on painting it, and did a careful job on it.

Day or two later, council ring me up and ask about it. I say I've kept my end of the deal and protected it from the elements, making sure we did a good job. I know he says, I've been up and had a look, and I can't see any problems. So I'm going to put this to bed, and say you've done nothing wrong... (Very good of you! Twat! :))

So they've (I assume) given up on this matter now....

However, they've now gone back to a complaint they raised about three years ago...! When we moved in, we took the wall down in the kitchen, I kept the bricks and rubble to use to even up some of the areas in the back garden. Sadly, my health has been pretty bad (no wonder really, with all the stress) so the rubble is still laid out in a neat line in the back garden, next to a side of their house. (Not visible from the outside at all, it's behind my shed, which is behind a wall.)

Anyway, they claimed it would cause damp on their wall. Even though it's been laid out to allow ventilation, and is below their damp course line. And as it's been there all this time, so surely it would have caused damp last winter, and the winter before...? So, I've now got another visit from the council about this to look forward to. It's really getting me down now, and if I didn't have my health worries, I'd go and knock the coonts out and have done with it. They know I can't phsyically do this though!

The bloke at the council is an utter pillock, and won't do sod all to help me. He's admitted this much to me. I said to him, this is madness, they are just hell bent on causing us problems, and are constantly harassing us, threatening us, and being violent to our visitors, but he doesn't want to know about that, he told me he could do nothing about that, and that if I was that worried, I should get a solicitor...! So I said to him but you are willing to run around as soon as they complain, but not when I do...? Basically yes, he says. I barely kept my anger in check.... :(

He clearly thinks he can treat me how he likes, because he tried to make out he doesn't even need to give me prior notice to him turning up... Err, hello, what does my tenancy agreement do then... It says prior written notification will be given, unless in an emergency, and even then, attempts will be made...

How can I win anything when the odds are stacked like this...? It's ridiculous.

Anyway, that's where we at now. :( Sorry for the venting guys.

If the debris is causing permanent drainage problems they may have a case. Ask the council to write to you explaining how the debris on the floor could cause damp to rise, unless the letter is written by environmental health and supported by scientific facts, I'd not be too worried. The whole thing sounds ludicrous TBH.

The council will back the aggressor in most cases as it makes it easy in the long run for them, hoping you back down!

If the debris is causing permanent drainage problems they may have a case. Ask the council to write to you explaining how the debris on the floor could cause damp to rise, unless the letter is written by environmental health and supported by scientific facts, I'd not be too worried. The whole thing sounds ludicrous TBH.

It is Munkey, it's complete madness. Trouble is, when it's you getting the abuse, or your wife and you little lad is hearing it all, or when your 19 year old nephew gets squared up to, you end up not seeing the funny side. It's just petty nonsense at the end of the day, but after three years, you kind of wear a bit thin of it all.

If we were vile neighbours, loud, abusive, partying all night long, people coming and going 24/7, dealing drugs etc, etc then I'd understand the hassle they give us. But the reality is, we're nice people, just getting on with our own lives, and not harming anyone. We're not druggies, or peados or johovahs, (;)) just regular, really boring people.

My sister had some trouble with her council ie repairs not being carried out some abuse of power from the council ect ect. She eventually contacted her local councillor (Got his number through her local councils website) And I kid you not literally within half hour he had contacted my sister and then within another hour the council (Who were being idiots and stubborn for like 1 year prior) were on the phone apologising and telling her times and dates that all her little troubles would be sorted. Now I know the situation is slightly different BUT just remember these guys DO act on your behalf and the council seem to sh!t themselves when they get involved.
I am on about your local councillor and Not MP which is a different route entirely and would probably yield results but id imagine would take alot longer.

Get on your local council's website and get the local councillor's e-mail or phone number (Both of which should be listed) and watch things start to happen in your favour it really is an eye opener.

Just thought I'd mention, looks like I've one this particular battle about the fencing. For now anyway.

As I mentioned, I got nowhere with the council, so I just wrote a letter explaining what I'd read, and been told by experts, (!) that in this instance, I was perfectly entitled to refuse them access, and would paint the fence myself.

We did this a few weeks ago, and before we'd even finished painting the damn thing, I had a letter stating they'd be suing me for damage to their fence, because of any drips that end up on their side of the fence...! We just carried on painting it, and did a careful job on it.

Day or two later, council ring me up and ask about it. I say I've kept my end of the deal and protected it from the elements, making sure we did a good job. I know he says, I've been up and had a look, and I can't see any problems. So I'm going to put this to bed, and say you've done nothing wrong... (Very good of you! Twat! :))

So they've (I assume) given up on this matter now....

However, they've now gone back to a complaint they raised about three years ago...! When we moved in, we took the wall down in the kitchen, I kept the bricks and rubble to use to even up some of the areas in the back garden. Sadly, my health has been pretty bad (no wonder really, with all the stress) so the rubble is still laid out in a neat line in the back garden, next to a side of their house. (Not visible from the outside at all, it's behind my shed, which is behind a wall.)

Anyway, they claimed it would cause damp on their wall. Even though it's been laid out to allow ventilation, and is below their damp course line. And as it's been there all this time, so surely it would have caused damp last winter, and the winter before...? So, I've now got another visit from the council about this to look forward to. It's really getting me down now, and if I didn't have my health worries, I'd go and knock the coonts out and have done with it. They know I can't phsyically do this though!

The bloke at the council is an utter pillock, and won't do sod all to help me. He's admitted this much to me. I said to him, this is madness, they are just hell bent on causing us problems, and are constantly harassing us, threatening us, and being violent to our visitors, but he doesn't want to know about that, he told me he could do nothing about that, and that if I was that worried, I should get a solicitor...! So I said to him but you are willing to run around as soon as they complain, but not when I do...? Basically yes, he says. I barely kept my anger in check.... :(

He clearly thinks he can treat me how he likes, because he tried to make out he doesn't even need to give me prior notice to him turning up... Err, hello, what does my tenancy agreement do then... It says prior written notification will be given, unless in an emergency, and even then, attempts will be made...

How can I win anything when the odds are stacked like this...? It's ridiculous.

Anyway, that's where we at now. :( Sorry for the venting guys.
go speak to the council fella again and raise all the points but get a dictaphone and record the conversation
at the end when he gives u shite
show him the dictaphone and say thank you i am now going to see the counciller i bet he changes his mind
blackmail i know but u give what u get

Back