Unable to view Internet Site ?

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend has built himself an internet site, problem is that I cannot view it as everytime I try I get the old Page not found screen.

I can use my laptop, which is setup to access the internet via the same provider, and view his site no problem on that but when I use my main machine I cannot and it is doing my head in.

The only differnce between the machines that I can think of is that I am running 98 on the laptop and ME on the main one.

Any Ideas

See Ya. :eek:

try getting the latest updates from microsoft

also check that your browser settings are the same as your laptop for IE5 they are in internet explorer/tools/internet options/advanved.you might also want to check the security settings in the internet options

well in that case to save time remove existing IE and install new IE.dont overwrite as this generally keeps old settings/setup

It sounds to me as though its your DNS setup. Try this:
On the working machine open a command prompt and type: ping <webaddress.com> ie www.bbc.com.
This will return a value in the form of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (for this example 212.58.224.36).
Type this into your web browser instead of the www. address and if it connects you need to contact you ISP for the addresses of some DNS Servers.

Best of luck!

Yes, but if I am using the same ISP on both machines would this not be the same ?

I have gone to the extremes of formatting this machine and re installing everything, I have also re verted back to win98 on this machine as ME kept crashing (pile of ****).

I will try the above but dont think it would make any difference. :eek:

hi m8 can you view the internet site off line on your laptop ???

it might be cached by the laptop and maybe your friends site is off line ???

whats your m8's www addy (if you want to tell us ?) maybe we can tell you if its there ???

not really sure just trying to help u out :)

Back