Tyres

stevejay

Inactive User
Reaction score
woke up this morning, showered, got all sorted for work, flat tyre!!, went to put the spare on & its one of those stupid thin space saver things, i am annoyed now because if it was a normal wheel i could have just swapped it & cracked on, i cant with this skinny little thing so will have to swap it then take it down to the tyre fitters & get the puncture repaired, opens at 9 so 3 hrs graft loss ( my own fault really should have checked when i bought the car) still annoying though & to top it all it just flashed on the screen that we are on normal tariff on bank holiday monday , just gets worse :Angryfire

Last edited:
at least you get a spare. modern tread is for that instant foam repair kit.

I'm with you on space savers. In my focus it doesn't even need the space saved with how it's in there. Probably just to save the the car company a couple of quid.

Gits

It's to save manufacturers money and so that you get your tyre repaired or replaced asap,I'm in the trade and the amount of people we get come in who have had a puncture,put the full sized spare on and left the punctured one in the boot,not a problem until you get another puncture then suddenly remember about the punctured one in the boot that you ment to get repaired but forgot,all because you had a full sized proper wheel and tyre on the car :)

i bought a tire repair kit from amazon,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...id=1367760032&sr=8-1&keywords=tire+repair+kit
this has got me out of trouble a couple of time now, one time being in the middle of no where, i have a electronic pump in the boot so am ready to go.

both times ive used the kit ive taken the tire to my tire fitters to do a proper repair and both times they have said that the plug is an excellent repair and i should have bothered with repairing them at thier garage, thing is i like the the patch to be done on the inside as well.
i also have a space saver but refuse point blankly to use it unless i really have to, i cannot be limited to 50mph and worry that the thing wont give me the traction i need.

As far as the car manufacturers are concerned the "space saver" means that the car underbody does not have to be as deep thus making the vehicle slightly more aerodynamic and then the reduction in weight created by the use of the narrow "space saver" or indeed no spare wheel and just an "emergency get you home repair kit" both contribute to an overall increase in mpg and so a further selling point for them.
The fact that it creates an increased market for tyre replacement was an incidental bonus.

I'm with you on space savers. In my focus it doesn't even need the space saved with how it's in there. Probably just to save the the car company a couple of quid.

Gits

To be fair, in the 80's you could get this car for average £5740
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nowadays you can get a car for not a lot more. Not really comparable but a new Suzuki Alto for similar amount...

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, in the 80's you could get this car for average £5740
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nowadays you can get a car for not a lot more. Not really comparable but a new Suzuki Alto for similar amount...

what bloke would drive one of them then ? :LOL: :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
No spare or kit in mine ;)

(TT)

My daughter bought a Qasquai last year (drives better than I can spell it). It came with an electric compressor, and a can of compressed sealer gunk.
This is not a cheap car, at least not to me.

No jack, no wheel brace, and the spare wheel well (full size), had an ICE sub woofer in the space. This is called progress !

Read the instructions for the sealer gunk, a one shot affair, not something I'd want to do on a dark night, in the middle of nowhere.
Some confusion as to whether it ruins the tyre beyond repair as well. At my insistence, she wasn't keen, the sub woofer thing was removed,
(ICE sounded the same) a space saver wheel, jack etc was bought as a compromise, around £200.
Not had to use it yet, but I'm sure thanks will arrive in due course.

By contrast I have a Hyundai Getz, a nice little runaround, suited to my needs. Alloys all round, including a full size, identical, alloy spare,
and all tools. It'll take me longer to unpack it than to fit it, and I can be on my way, at any speed, or for any distance, in less than 15mins.

Cost cutting, weight/fuel consumption, yes.

Common sense, no.

I always thought it was a legal requirement to have a spare wheel in a car?

I always thought it was a legal requirement to have a spare wheel in a car?

nope, the only requirement is that if you have a spare that its legal.

I did read somewhere that on a focus sized car, removing the spare improves mpg by around 0.5%

As for punctures, modern tyres are more puncture resistant then before and tbh, I drive 2 cars with combined mileage of around 20k a year and in the last couple of years the only puncture I have had was a screw which I was able to continue driving with until I got it repaired.

Last edited:
My son who is a recovery driver took my crv for an mot at his garage while i was laid up and the advisory note amongst other things said " nail in offside rear . I took it to the dealer i buy my tyres from and he tested it for leaks removed it from the rim and could find no sign of a nail refitted the tyre and retested it in a water tank no sign of a leak so no charge , But what does that say about the other advisories if he imagined a nail in a tyre

My son who is a recovery driver took my crv for an mot at his garage while i was laid up and the advisory note amongst other things said " nail in offside rear . I took it to the dealer i buy my tyres from and he tested it for leaks removed it from the rim and could find no sign of a nail refitted the tyre and retested it in a water tank no sign of a leak so no charge , But what does that say about the other advisories if he imagined a nail in a tyre

It's only an advisory, and it only nearly had a nail in it.:)

probably a finger nail lol.

my wife had a lump of metal in the outside edge (on the tread to the side wall) of her brand new (well two weeks old at the time) tyre. she complained of a tapping noise, when i checked it i was astonished the tyre was still inflated, wrote the thing off and no repair kit would repair that.
this is the reason why i wont purchase a car without a full sized spare or at least the option to replace a space saver with one. i infact walked away from a deal with a car i liked because it only had a repair kit.
personally i would rather use the 0.05% fuel (what ever it costs) for piece of mind than have to worry about not having a spare.

What gets me is if you take a car for an mot test and it has a tyre of a different size to the other ones on the car, then its a failure. So how can it be legal to have a space saver that is completely different to all the other wheels on the car ?

Back