What a bad week so far....

wizard1

Inactive User
Reaction score
What a week.....and it's not over yet :(

Sunday:
Broke one of my teeth - 4 yr old filling that just gave up.

Monday:
Woke up to find out I had a flat tyre - seems some kids are bored and letting tyres down in the area.
Tooth repaired £125 out of pocket - no idea if my insurance will pay the full amount.

Weds:
TV died last night, another bill on it's way - damn - on the plus side it now forces me to spend cash on that HDTV plasma :).

Today I have a day off, and I'm going nowhere and doing nothing :D

W.

check this out

talking to me mate gaz and he showed me this post lol
ill jsut post the pms

Originally Posted by gazzas
wouldnt worry m8 thats 3 ina row now it can only get better.
wow ran out, cable down and 360 died

ME
lol
u think?

1 cable down
2 wow down
3 my beer got nicked out the back yard lol
4 net down
5 xbox dead
6 got a 240v Shock 2 hours ago knocked me out for 10 lawl lol "miss Wake me and said i was slavering everywhere pmsl

lol ok u got 4 more to go

ME
just too lucky me mate =]

u and wizard lol
http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forum...d.php?t=170441

ME
cry:(

Last edited:
ah u gotta love someone elses missery, dont buy the tv m8 sure enough it will blow and the company will go bust and u lose ur money. lol

What a week.....and it's not over yet :(

Sunday:
Broke one of my teeth - 4 yr old filling that just gave up.

Monday:
Woke up to find out I had a flat tyre - seems some kids are bored and letting tyres down in the area.
Tooth repaired £125 out of pocket - no idea if my insurance will pay the full amount.

Weds:
TV died last night, another bill on it's way - damn - on the plus side it now forces me to spend cash on that HDTV plasma :).

Today I have a day off, and I'm going nowhere and doing nothing :D

W.

guess you didn't get 6 numbers in the lottery last night then...:Biggrin2:

I'v had a awasome week so far....

Im well breaking down on mty 800 mile trip lol

Well nothing much happened yesterday, I managed to avoid the world, but life sucks as I'm watching TV on my old portable for now. Shopping at the weekend for a new one, lets see if I can survive until then.

BTW my portable looks fricken tiny when you are used to a huge TV. and it's 4:3 ratio - had forgotten what that was :D

W.

Don't bother with a plasma. Picture is faded in the daylight and still images have a tendency to burn into the screen. But if all you're gonna do is watch fullscreen films/tv with the curtains drawn and you're not gonna play console games, then you've got nothing to worry about.

;-)

you must have a cheap and nasty plasma m8.
Don't bother with a plasma. Picture is faded in the daylight and still images have a tendency to burn into the screen. But if all you're gonna do is watch fullscreen films/tv with the curtains drawn and you're not gonna play console games, then you've got nothing to worry about.

;-)

you must have a cheap and nasty plasma m8.

I don't have a plasma, I have an LCD. I meant to say in my previous post: buy LCD not plasma.

I actually know someone who was foolish enough to buy a plasma about a year ago. It cost him £2,500 so I wouldn't say it was cheap or nasty. It's just that in the long run, it's better to have an LCD. At least you can see the picture during the day and you won't get pictures burning into the screen if you left something on pause by mistake.

The disadvantages of plasma are well documented. I did a lot of research before I bought my LCD.

Anyway, I was just trying to make sure that wizard1 didn't make a costly mistake, he's had enough bad luck already this week.

well the one i have here shows nothing that you mention,whatever you fancy i suppose.
I don't have a plasma, I have an LCD. I meant to say in my previous post: buy LCD not plasma.

I actually know someone who was foolish enough to buy a plasma about a year ago. It cost him £2,500 so I wouldn't say it was cheap or nasty. It's just that in the long run, it's better to have an LCD. At least you can see the picture during the day and you won't get pictures burning into the screen if you left something on pause by mistake.

The disadvantages of plasma are well documented. I did a lot of research before I bought my LCD.

Anyway, I was just trying to make sure that wizard1 didn't make a costly mistake, he's had enough bad luck already this week.

well the one i have here shows nothing that you mention,whatever you fancy i suppose.
Here's an excerpt from an article I read a while back. Some of the info is a bit out of date so I've added a comment of my own:

The Disadvantages of Plasma TV

Plasma TVs do have some disadvantages compared to other TV technologies.

-Potential Burn-In: Because of the phosphor technology in Plasma TVs (see How Plasma TVs Work), it is possible for traces of an image to be 'burned-in' to the display. This is generally only a concern in commercial uses, where images are displayed for long-periods of time. Those that watch stations that offer news tickers may also need to be careful. Burn-in can generally be avoided by making sure that you do not keep a constant image on the screen for extended periods (sometimes as little as 20 minutes), either by turning the television off, or changing the channel. Or play video games which have a lot of static images.

-Lower Brightness: Although still considerably brighter than rear-projection TVs, direct view and LCD TVs often are able to provide a brighter picture. This is generally only readily noticeable if watching in a very brightly lit room. Latest generation Plasma TVs have improved on the brightness issue considerably, and our only real warning would be to those that plan to do the majority of their viewing in a room exposed to afternoon sun.

-Not the Lightest or Slimmest: Although Plasma TVs are MUCH lighter and thinner compared to direct view and rear projection TVs, a lighter, slimmer technology does exist: LCD TVs. LCD TVs use the same technology as used in most laptop computers. However, it should be noted that LCD TVs are not generally available in the same sizes as Plasma TVs, and in those rare cases that they are, they generally cost considerably more. You can now get a hold of a 52" Full HD LCD TV for between £1200 to £1400.

-Price: Yes, this is a disadvantage and an advantage. Although Plasma TVs are considerably cheaper than comparably-sized LCD or LCoS TVs, they do cost more than direct view and rear-projection TVs. Of course, it must be mentioned that direct view HDTVs do not exist in the sizes that Plasma TV offers (namely 42-inch and 50-inch models).

-Shorter Life: Compared to other television technologies, Plasma TVs do generally have a shorter life span, and there is no option to repair a burnt out tube or backlight. Most Plasma TVs have a life span of 20,000-30,000 hours based on manufacturer's estimates. This life span is commonly referred to as the Plasma TV half-life, as it is the number of hours over which the Plasma TV will loose approximately half of it's brightness.

Of course, we should note that a Plasma TV with a 20,000 hour life would allow you to watch 4 hours of TV per day for approximately 13.7 years. Even at 8 hours per day, your Plasma TV should provide you with nearly 7 years of enjoyment. So, for most of us, this should not be an issue, and a Plasma TV is a worthy investment.

-Fragility: Plasma TVs are a very fragile technology, and the units are quite easy to damage. Extreme care must be used when moving them, as even laying the Plasma display on it's side can have adverse effects, possibly damaging the unit irreparably.

my daughter once left the ps2 on pause for two hours no sign of burn-in on the screen,don`t believe everything you read,like i said before whatever takes your fancy m8
PS.the xbox 360 looks pretty good to me on it.
Here's an excerpt from an article I read a while back. Some of the info is a bit out of date so I've added a comment of my own:

The Disadvantages of Plasma TV

Plasma TVs do have some disadvantages compared to other TV technologies.

-Potential Burn-In: Because of the phosphor technology in Plasma TVs (see How Plasma TVs Work), it is possible for traces of an image to be 'burned-in' to the display. This is generally only a concern in commercial uses, where images are displayed for long-periods of time. Those that watch stations that offer news tickers may also need to be careful. Burn-in can generally be avoided by making sure that you do not keep a constant image on the screen for extended periods (sometimes as little as 20 minutes), either by turning the television off, or changing the channel. Or play video games which have a lot of static images.

Back