Run Flat Tyres

Busta_Gonad

Inactive User
Reaction score
I drive a cooper s with run flat tyres on, and had to replace one the other day, is there any law as to me having to have run flats?

The reason i ask is I have seen stories of people with normal tyre and tubes, but the bloke at kwik fit said it was law to have run flats, and the only way i could have a tyre and tube is to sign a waiver that would invariably void my insurance?

Anyone able to enlighten me??

LOL ! Kwik fit are full of shite mate afaik

You do not have to have run flats at all, but on the same account not too sure if you can still get a tube inside the tyre now.... But you can get just normal tyres that are not run flat, the difference being that if you get a puncture and try to drive on it the side walls would fail causing it to fall apart....

Yeah, I was thinking that, I'm aware of the not being able to drive on them if flat, but I'm also aware of the £70 cheaper tyre.

I have roadside assistance so not overly worried about the driving on it side of things ;)

LOL ! Kwik fit are full of shite mate afaik

You do not have to have run flats at all, but on the same account not too sure if you can still get a tube inside the tyre now.... But you can get just normal tyres that are not run flat, the difference being that if you get a puncture and try to drive on it the side walls would fail causing it to fall apart....

I also own a mini and i am considering changing my run flats to normal tyres however if you get a puncture there is no room for a spare wheel. So you either get towed in on the back of a truck or you leave your car on its jack at the side of the road while you get your tyre mended?. £100.00 per corner for run flats is no joke mate.

well its good you only drive girls cars :p as my bmw is £140 each rear tyre and not run flat lmfao

Had this conversion at work before with mate who is a snap-on dealer and said there was something in the law about changing to non run flats! £70 more wtf thats sounds a bit to much to me :(

My missus has a Mini Cooper S.

There are two points here:

a) There isn't room for a spare.
b) BMW actually recommend you use run flats from both a performance and economical perspective (she asked), but there is nothing to say you can't use normal but expect to go through them quicker.

I think she paid £110 ea fitted for hers.

Mine are more in the region of £140+ each for normal, but I have 285/40 R20's and 315/35 R20's

Last edited:
Dont believe anything they tell you at a kwick fit garage...

I took my volvo in to get the air con regassed last summer because they had a sign outside offering a regas for £25..the guy looked under the bonnet for a few minutes then he asked me if I knew where the air con connector was...I said "That's plenty" put the bonnet down and drove out.

You can put any tyres on your car, however there is an insurance implication. If you change to std tyres, your car will then be "modified". You are best to give your insurance company a call and find out.
The manufacturers fit the run flats for a reason, and it best to stick with what they recommend. Whats £70 for your family's safety?????

It's not a family runabout, its just a toy (although I know what you mean).

My real issue with this is that i keep getting told that std tyres are a better ride than run flats (again not sure how true this is) & my rims need some work, as they are allegedly corroding on the inside (which is causing my runflats to not seat properly), this then means that the tyre goes down, and most places wont take a runflat off, then put it back on ;)

Due to stiffer side wall construction run flats may ride firmer then standard tyres. Don't know about legal side, never heard of anything though as somebody mentioned might be worth a quick call to your insurance company. Also have you got tyre pressure warning light, maybe that is not compatible with standard tyres ?

As for not having a spare, I haven't had a spare in years, like many modern cars you get a can of tyre weld foam instead, I think the new accord has not get a spare tyre so its happening on main stream cars these days. Of course the foam is not suitable for all occasions but should be OK for most. My cousin has used it and it's like driving on a space saver. Note that some places may refuse to repair a tyre where you have used the weld foam.

Back