Tv Licence

Do you have a TV licence??

• Yes, its worth it i watch eastenders allot..

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • No, It's a con...

Votes: 42 59.2%
  • I donate the money to DW..

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I think its ageism as old people get it free..

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only realised recently that I'm paying 5 a year extra because I pay by quarterly DD - this was all they offered originally. And the quarterly 35 or whatever it is, is always surprising me and causing me to OD the bank acc. Gone to monthly now. Their call system is sh!te as well.

Just voted. So there are more people without a licence than do? Really?

Last edited by a moderator:
i voted no as up in till last week i never had one.

i dont agree paying for the sh!te they show when i pay sly £50 a month and ontop of that have my european satellite to watch,the only decent thing on it top gear.

but i made the mistake of buying a new tele from currys then i started getting letters and the wife wasn sh!tting herself so i got one.................but £135 to watch top gear FFS why dont they put adverts in like every other channel then we might actually get something decent to watch from the ripping off beeb

i voted yes as i have one but never watch anything on it,and eastenders is crap

did you fill in a form in currys? or did you pay by card and they then traced you?

if it was by card put a written complaint to currys and to your bank for breach of data protection, currys will give you some vouchers ;)

did you fill in a form in currys? or did you pay by card and they then traced you?

if it was by card put a written complaint to currys and to your bank for breach of data protection, currys will give you some vouchers ;)

You cant do that, the dealer is obliged by law to inform the TV Licensing people about when a new TV is bought, and that persons address. You can read the act here:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/ukpga_20030021_en_34#pt4-l1g366

It also discusses warrants. If there is suspicion that a TV is on the premises (such as a sky dish, a TV ariel or a cable contract) then a warrant can be obtained. Apparently, this can be done over the phone.

Once a warrant is obtained, and the TV is seen then you get a fine.

Simply put, the license doesnt just provide eastenders. It also provide controlling for Channel 4, C4C and also funds the digital switch over for the BBC and Channel 4.

75% of the BBC's income is generated from the license fee, the remainder is made up from the other patrs of the business. It also receives over 200 million from the FCO, so if you dont pay for a license, then your taxes go to pay for the overseas stuff and the world service...

You cant do that, the dealer is obliged by law to inform the TV Licensing people about when a new TV is bought, and that persons address. You can read the act here:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/ukpga_20030021_en_34#pt4-l1g366

The dealer isn't obliged to take the information straight of someones credit card (data Protection) because they should be asking who the TV is for. Also you don't neccseary need a BBC TV Licence to own a TV ;)

It also discusses warrants. If there is suspicion that a TV is on the premises (such as a sky dish, a TV ariel or a cable contract) then a warrant can be obtained. Apparently, this can be done over the phone.

Someone having a Skydish on the house isn't proof that they are watching live TV because that's all they can have you for (watching Live TV). Pro BBC people will say well what about the TV detector vans and we say the evidence has never been used in court and the reason for that is it's not recognised

Once a warrant is obtained, and the TV is seen then you get a fine.

Not for watching dvd's or playing games etc.

Simply put, the license doesnt just provide eastenders. It also provide controlling for Channel 4, C4C and also funds the digital switch over for the BBC and Channel 4.

Ch4 gets sod all from the BBC TV Licence although they have asked for £100 million but were turned down!

S4C gets £4 million from the BBC and the other £87 million from the government

You sound like you have some connection with them

right, you need to have a read of the act i just posted the link to.

Then you need to have a read in the news about the BBC and Channel 4 needing more funding for th digital switch over.

Once you have done that, you then need to read about how Channel 4 was created, who runs it and where its funding comes from.

Once you have done all that, you then need to take a look again at the act I posted the link to and read the obilgations of TV dealers and when/where you need a license.

Once you have done all that, you can put together an informed comment and post it here.

And no, I dont work for the BBC (is there any BBC office in Edinburgh at all?).

I should also add that you dont need a license if your TV is only used to watch DVD/Videos. However it must be detuned anot not connected to any sort of receiver (DVB, sattelite or cable) in order to prove this.

I doubt things like IP TV count, as they contain broadcasted media.

Then you need to have a read in the news about the BBC and Channel 4 needing more funding for th digital switch over.

Didn't know it was anything to do with CH4 but yes it's nice to see the TV Licence getting used for something it was meant for ie the switch over

Once you have done that, you then need to read about how Channel 4 was created, who runs it and where its funding comes from.

I know who runs it & I know Ch4 asked for £100 million from the TV Licence and were turned down ;)

Once you have done all that, you then need to take a look again at the act I posted the link to and read the obilgations of TV dealers and when/where you need a license.

Do you know about the Data Protection Act ?

Once you have done all that, you can put together an informed comment and post it here.

And no, I dont work for the BBC (is there any BBC office in Edinburgh at all?).

My comments are informed and can be backed up. You are trying to tell people companies are right to use credit card info to pass on to Capita when it should be the person buying the TV telling them so no laws are broken

just read the act, then you will understand.

I am not forcing my opinion here - I am stating fact (as ever). You can take it or leave it.

just read the act, then you will understand.

I know my rights karym6 although you still haven't said if you have read the Data Protection Act

j
I am not forcing my opinion here - I am stating fact (as ever). You can take it or leave it.

I haven't said you are but I obviously disagree with you and can back myself up with facts because I've been a member of an Anti TV Licence forum for over 5 years now as well as not paying the BBC in 18yrs. It looks like alot of other people here don't pay the BBC and I say good on them

sigh, yes I have heard of the data protection act - this all a bit melodramtatic isnt it?

There is nothing in the data protection act that says it shouldnt happen (read part 2, section 7 Rights of data subjects and others;Right of access to personal data). In fact, its part of the dealers legal obligation (as pointed out a few times in my previous posts). You can read th privacy policy relating to this on the Dixons webshop here: http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/editorial/customer services - privacy#3. It states there it has to pass on your details (thus complying with the DPA)

This is all fact.

sigh, yes I have heard of the data protection act - this all a bit melodramtatic isnt it?

Not really no unless you know of the law being changed which allows outlets to give out our credit card details without our say so ?

You see I've not seen any changes in the law to allow this which means the law is being broken although that wont surprise many when it comes to the BBC and it's TV Licence ;)

There is nothing in the data protection act that says it shouldnt happen (read part 2, section 7 Rights of data subjects and others;Right of access to personal data).

Like I said the BBC will always make it's own laws but the fact still remains their isn't any additions which allows the BBC to get our detials from Credit cards because that would just be another abuse of their position

In fact, its part of the dealers legal obligation (as pointed out a few times in my previous posts).

Err which is why they should be asking people when they buy a TV

You can read th privacy policy relating to this on the Dixons webshop here: http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/editorial/customer services - privacy#3. It states there it has to pass on your details (thus complying with the DPA)

This is all fact.

Nothing in that which says the BBC TV Licence has had the authority to get credit card details karym6 and I still suspect something strange here with the strength of your defence for the BBC TV Licence.

If this was any other subscriber I wouldn't give a damn but for people to be actively protecting an organisation which forces millions of people to subscribe to them or else is beyond suspicion

i see we are veering off into never never land here.

THE DPA hasnt been changed - it has been this way for quite some time. When you buy a TV from Comet online, you have to agree to their terms and conditions as part of the purchase process. When you do this in the store, you also agree buy giving them the funds. So, you see the online shop does ask you - you have to read the terms and conditions and then agree to them. in a shop, you need to ask - they dont need to tell you.

Now, on credit card details, no one has ever said that the BBC get them - why whuold they ever need them? The license fee isnt collected by them. Instead it is collected by a whole bunch of different companies, Capita being the largest (unsurprisingly). The revenues collected are then given to the BBC. Also, they dont make their own laws.

As to defending them - you are quite incorrect, unless you view someone stating facts you dont agree with as a form of defense?

i see we are veering off into never never land here.

THE DPA hasnt been changed - it has been this way for quite some time. When you buy a TV from Comet online, you have to agree to their terms and conditions as part of the purchase process.

Online orders are a little different from turning up at the store and having information taken from your credit card. It does seem to be a little strange in the BBC world of never land.

When you do this in the store, you also agree buy giving them the funds. So, you see the online shop does ask you - you have to read the terms and conditions and then agree to them. in a shop, you need to ask - they dont need to tell you

No and last time I bought a TV the clerk didn't have a clue about the TV Licence because it had obviously been done behind my back not that it helped the BBC TV Licence people

Now, on credit card details, no one has ever said that the BBC get them - why whuold they ever need them?

We're talking about personal Data which the BBC isn't entitled too. For instance if someone buys a friend a TV what does this have to do with your friends at the BBC ? You see it's the person who the TV is going to the Capita salespeople need to know about not the person buying it.

The license fee isnt collected by them. Instead it is collected by a whole bunch of different companies, Capita being the largest (unsurprisingly). The revenues collected are then given to the BBC. Also, they dont make their own laws.

Wrong its collected just by Capita (£500 million contract) on the BBC's behalf (the BBC picked them)

As to defending them - you are quite incorrect, unless you view someone stating facts you dont agree with as a form of defense?

Oh the facts speak in black and white here karym6 and your other comment

I am stating fact (as ever)

Tells people alot about your character too

would you prefer me to ignore the facts then and just agree with you to make you feel better?

There is no need to post like this. At the present time this is the law and thats it. I dont see why you are so worked up abou it. I didnt write it, I dont enforce it. If you dont like it, so what?

When I was a student, I bought a nwe TV from Dixons. A few weeks after I bought it I got a letter from TV Licensing asking me to pay for a new license, of course I ignored it as we already had one. After a few monthst they started getting more and more frequent, so I just called them and told them we already had one, giving the license number and that was that.

I think if you are worried about other people who dont know about the law, then you should post exactly what the law is, not your own interpretation of it. Let people know why their details are being used this way. It is up to the people how they wish to buy a new telly and its up to them to worry about it, not you.

As to my character, so what if you dont agree with the things I am posting - at least I am not making them up. From the last time you posted on the same topic, I can see your tone has not changed at all, and neither has the law(much).

Some other facts about the TV Licence (that I probably already posted), it ensures we get things like national sports games on the BBC (thus prventing Sky etc from keeping them), They provide a news service as well as covering all national events and the UK is the only country in the world (as far as I know) that has only a license model. For instance in France, you are legally obligated to pay a TV License, but has ads as well...

Channel 4 does not get any of the licence fee:

Does Channel 4 get any of the licence fee?

Channel 4 supports itself solely via advertising, programme sponsorship and commercial revenue and does not receive any of the license fee.

Source: http://help.channel4.com/SRVS/CGI-B...87,E=0000000000048850384,K=887,Sxi=0,CASE=619

Someone having a Skydish on the house isn't proof that they are watching live TV because that's all they can have you for (watching Live TV).
They can have you for anything capable of receiving a broadcast signal. A tuned satellite dish with a receiver box is licensable, whether you choose to pay that is up to you.

I wonder if Sky and VM are obliged to report to Crapita in the same way...

S4C gets £4 million from the BBC and the other £87 million from the government
The BBC produce 10 hours a week of S4C programming and all their Welsh news bulletins, worth ~£72m a year. (sources: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4806874.stm http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/finance/interview/interview_iona_jones.html)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back