Tropical Live Plants

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've decided I'm going to give live plants a go as they look really pretty and from what I've read better for the fish

anyone use live plants ? and could give some tips :)

look at this pukka tank

Attachments

• Live Plants.jpg
    Live Plants.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 20
That tank is stunning!!!

I think its quite difficult to keep a highly planted tank mate (just something I read), but go for it the plants will introduce oxygen into the tank and oxygen is key to filtration.

Get it right and it will be amazing!!!

What type of filtration will you be using (excluding the plants)?

John can I suggest even though you will be desperate to get it all going, take a small step back and deal with the preparation of the tank, as getting it right the first time will be key to how long you stay fish interested lol... what I mean is a tank needs care and attn, which I know you have in abundance!

So if you get the preparation, setup, filtration right at the off it will increase the chances of you setting up a successful fish tank.

Believe me the biggest problem people face and deal with is algea, it can make a tank look like shite.

so if you are going planted I would suggest you get your lights right! this will mean picking the correct tubes and ratings for plant growth but at the same time get the right mix of colours, as a tank bright yellow will look disgusting (as I tell my mum every time I see her tank lol).

Some blue to bring out the colours in the fish, along with some daylight for optimum plant growth.

To be fair John I know nothing about keeping tropical fish (freshwater), I keep marines (tropical salt), but I would guess allot of the principles are the same?

If I can help with anything let me know matey.

Mick

couple of easy to care for plants

Java Moss

Java Fern

Twisted vallis

is you are thinking of doing anything remotely like that picture,make sure you do a readup on what substrate to buy,then you will need c02 and diffusers etc etc etc,them plants i listed i have and dont need anything special to grow

Last edited:
Ill check that link out,cheers Bro :)

Mickie I ended up buying a Juwel tank as I was told by more than 1 trop shop that that these had the best lighting (T5) and most up to date filtration system on the market at this time, on my budget that is

I do intend doing it right mate and not going to rush things :) the tank is in the main living room so there is no way its going to look cack with green algae on the glass lol

Ive been looking at and reading about water treatments today and deciding what to go for, Tetra Aquasafe or Nutrafin AQUA PLUS seem to be the favourites

get tank on Tuesday so that will be the start of my new hobby :)

also if you do decide to go the planted root,readup on what fish may or may not munch on them ;)

T5's are very dull but effective, I use T5's and I also use LED... LED has come a long way now, and it will also add the shimmer effect, which gives the tank a stunning glow.

So yes keep the T5's try and avoid yellow at all costs, and compliment the lights with BLUE led and also WHITE LED.

You will see the difference in the tank look when you add some LED's and they use much lower power too.

T5's are very dull but effective

really :( as I said more than 1 aquatic shop advised this is the best tank in my price range (not budget either) for lighting and filtration

maybe I will give live plants a miss until Im a bit more experienced :) maybe just 1-2 potted live plants to experiment with :)

not an expert on this but you can probably change the bulbs or lighting at some point , Plant Pro T5 Lamp Arcadia ,loads of different types

its rare peeps get it right first time ,you may sell a few bits then but better or more suitable to your needs

Be careful adding live plants, watch for snails. Make sure you thoroughly rinse them otherwise you could end up with a tank full of snails and chewed up plants!

When you get your Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrate levels sorted then look at adding a few red cherry or other types of shrimp. They don't add to the bio-load and will help keeping the tank clean for you.

Also perhaps have a look at getting a decent piece of driftwood, preferably one that your LFS already has in a tank. This will help speed up your cycle as it should already contain bacteria.

They are good T5's and will 100% grow your plants (not like a halide or higher spec LED) but they do not penatrate the water with the same light as LED or halides, I think it would suit you best to use the T5's and then add some LED to your setup, you can always custom add LEDS, and for someone with your experience of hacks/mods etc it would be a breeze to add some LEDS - cheap too.

I am currently making a 1500mm long x 100mm wide x 16mm thick, aluminium heat sink for 10 cree 10watt LEDS for my tank, I think it will add serious punch to my setup!

Mick

Back