Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tring signal strength

I was out of ideas last week and tonight I'm even more confused. I've been outside since 9pm trying to get a signal on Tring. I've done exactly what I've always done, tune into something strong on an adjacent satellite and then tweak it gently. No joy whatsoever with 16E. I'm beginning to think that this portable dish isn't right. Good enough to pick up the strong satellites but perhaps sufficiently out of true to not be able to focus sufficient signal strength for weaker birds.

Yes as I've said before Astra1 and Hotbird you can find EASY, Eutelsat W2 16e can be a pain.
You need a truly vertical mounting pole and a accurately setup dish, if either is out then it's a no go.
But again if you are relying on Service+ then you wont get Tring as it's not working, try setting up on tp 10892 H sr 27500 I get s=80% q=78% from this tp. Check Carli TV on that transponder as it's FTA, if you get that try a Supersport channel.

Yes as I've said before Astra1 and Hotbird you can find EASY, Eutelsat W2 16e can be a pain.
You need a truly vertical mounting pole and a accurately setup dish, if either is out then it's a no go.
But again if you are relying on Service+ then you wont get Tring as it's not working, try setting up on tp 10892 H sr 27500 I get s=80% q=78% from this tp. Check Carli TV on that transponder as it's FTA, if you get that try a Supersport channel.
Finally managed to get some sort of signal on my motorised dish, just enough to occasionally get a static picture on tring. Carli was fine. I haven't touched that dish in weeks so I don't understand why reception of Tring be so marginal. What sort of angle does the signal come down at in the south of England. I thought that it was around 30 degrees so it can't be any line of site issues. I wonder if the dog has got in the back and knocked it. It's the only explanation that I can come up with.

That PL TV on 10E opened the other night for me but it was very jerky. No joy today with it though.

Think I'll go for a 'service' next season. I get excellent strength and quality for that on 5E here on the east coast.

Sufforktoon, I know what you mean about 10E PL Tv, sometimes its nice and steady and othes its freezing all the time.

I have managed to get Tring okay though, my pole is not "dead" vertical, it is out slightly.

I know that as I cannot get usuals to track all the sats correctly, if I use it for 16e then I miss it, so I use Diseqc to set them.

I live in Co Durham so you should have a better chance than me of getting steady signal surely.

Last edited:
Please believe that I can get 16e EVERY time using USALS or DiseqC even when it's pouring down. The whole thing is down to two things, the correct dish size for your location and the mounting/motor/dish installation.
Although this satellite has a lower signal strength than Astra1 or Hotbird you can get perfectly stable reception in the UK it's not difficult.
My location is 54.1N 0.2W and using a 1mtr dish there is absolutely no problem with this satellite.
It's all down to the installation and that must be done correctly or you will have problems tracking the arc, get the installation right and your problems will disappear.

1.1m triax on the west of Ireland, tring stable all the time. might just be the skew angle on your lnb m8, or buy a decent lnb and try that even, heard good reports on black ultra i think it was, made by inverto i think, i dont rate inverto tbh as ive had quite a few DOA.
also how long is your cable run, check for damage, moisture ingress etc.

I fianlly decided to abandon the portable dish and have a go at adjusting the motorised one. So to start I went and gave it a tug backwards. Walked back in the house and tring is showing 80/80.

10E is not the same and no stuttering.

Must have been the dog that knocked it out of alignment.

Still disappointed with this portable dish. 90-cm should have no bother picking up 10e and 16E.

Back