TM800HD or DM800HD

kunmun23

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi m8s,

A friend is considering getting a new receiver box and asked me for a recommendation. Personally, I have only experienced TM600 and TM800HD.

From what I read on the forums, Dreambox has been a benchmark ..quite like Ipad 2 or Iphone4 (well, at least till Samsung, Motorola and HTC decided to take'em head on).
TM800HD was the black horse but alas we are still awaiting the O/E.

A quick google shows that both TM800HD and DM800HD are in the £150-200 price range. There's Vu + Solo and Duo which are both a bit more pricey...also came across some remarks about Spiderbox and DM clones

My questions :
1) Between DM800HD, TM800HD which one would you recommend?
2) Why ?
3) Are DM clones, spiderbox, vu+ etc worth considering? Any other boxes worth considering?
4) Why ?
5) Where do I get the box you recommend ?

Requirements :
HD
Streaming
Media capabilities
CCam
Budget < £300

PS Thanks to this forum and all the great guys, I am comfortable to experiment and flash my own images and make modifications (saying so that while answering my queries above you don't rule out anything because its not for the faint-hearted :p )

I did a few searches on the forums comparing DM800 and TM800 but didn't find anything...apologies if I its already posted somewhere...please point me to it..

Thanks in advance !!

Last edited:
I got dm800 se clone great sat box good support. I think the tm 800 has lost its support. Get a dreambox 800 se or vu duo .

Re: TM800HD versus DM800HD

Hi cdstack,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Does the DM800 clone let you stream, watch media of different codecs? What price range to expect?

Cheers.

Development on the TM800HD does seem to stagnated, long overdue promises claim a new image is being prepared to resolve outstanding issues. In addition to the DM800 have you considered the QboxHD mini? There are numerous advantages to having a twin tuner box. I run one with a self-powered usb disk and it is certainly a better bet than the TM800HD I also run - at a similar price.

I love my VU+ Duo also looking for another box which is as good as the duo but cheaper

QboxHD mini with twin tuner definitely sounds interesting....does it stream ? How is the support (more than the official support, how is the user forum support for configuring, plugins, EPGs etc?)

Development on the TM800HD does seem to stagnated, long overdue promises claim a new image is being prepared to resolve outstanding issues. In addition to the DM800 have you considered the QboxHD mini? There are numerous advantages to having a twin tuner box. I run one with a self-powered usb disk and it is certainly a better bet than the TM800HD I also run - at a similar price.

I love my VU+ Duo also looking for another box which is as good as the duo but cheaper

you must consider the vu+solo, or if you are not bothered about a clone the a dm800 pro can be had for around £110 nowadays.regards mdt

QboxHD mini with twin tuner definitely sounds interesting....does it stream ? How is the support (more than the official support, how is the user forum support for configuring, plugins, EPGs etc?)

It's a relatively new box, yet released with most things working.
Official support from Duolabs is poor, but a very active support forum exists on *********** and the box is very stable.
Applications include VLC for streaming and both NFS and Samba shares can be mapped to play files from NAS boxes.
Playback FF, <<, jump work faultlessly
Media Centre plays numerous formats ( I commonly use '.mp3', '.'vob', '. '.jpg', '.bmp',)
'Mytube' internet media streaming works
ipod connection is really nice.
plus lots of other nice features (like web browsing if you plug in a usb keyboard)

I stress it is a very new box, but in a few short months it has reached a level of maturity that I despair of my TM800 even attaining. Developers are starting to look at what enhancements can be added, including Ppanel like features. Many standards like PartnerBox work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

DM 800 original can be good Box...not all ways for Clones...
To be Honest i can not talk much about TM 800 just read in this forum some one is happy some one no...
But the real competitors or DM800 is no any TM Model...but the Best box VuPlus Can be Solo Duo or the NEW Vuplus UNO..has very fast processor...
if is Me i will go for Vu Plus UNO

It's a relatively new box, yet released with most things working.
Official support from Duolabs is poor, but a very active support forum exists on *********** and the box is very stable.
Applications include VLC for streaming and both NFS and Samba shares can be mapped to play files from NAS boxes.
Playback FF, <<, jump work faultlessly
Media Centre plays numerous formats ( I commonly use '.mp3', '.'vob', '. '.jpg', '.bmp',)
'Mytube' internet media streaming works
ipod connection is really nice.
plus lots of other nice features (like web browsing if you plug in a usb keyboard)

I stress it is a very new box, but in a few short months it has reached a level of maturity that I despair of my TM800 even attaining. Developers are starting to look at what enhancements can be added, including Ppanel like features. Many standards like PartnerBox work fine.

It seems to have a slower CPU. Does it impact its performance? Especially channel zapping? Does it play mkv, avi etc? I am presuming it has CCam or similar for card-sharing. Trying to PM you but your inbox is full :)

Vu+ seems like a very matured box with a fast processor but its expensive :(

DM 800 original can be good Box...not all ways for Clones...
To be Honest i can not talk much about TM 800 just read in this forum some one is happy some one no...
But the real competitors or DM800 is no any TM Model...but the Best box VuPlus Can be Solo Duo or the NEW Vuplus UNO..has very fast processor...
if is Me i will go for Vu Plus UNO

Thanks to all the replies...I am making progress in my decision making....

Ruled Out :
Vu+ Solo/Duo/Uno : Pros : Large community support, very stable, fast process....Cons: Expensive...
TM800HD : Pros : Large community support...Cons : Missing functionalties, awaited O/E, single tuner

In Consideration :
Qbox HD : Pros...twin tuner, full functionality...Cons: Relatively new, slightly smaller community, slightly slower processor
DM800HD : Pros : Very large community, very stable and mature box...Cons: Single tuner
DM800HD Clone : Pros: Cheaper...Cons: sometimes unstable, single tuner

Further help appreciated ... :)

Last edited:

Just emptied box!
A number of boxes have a similar cpu speed. It has an SH4 processor. These processors are RISC chips which process one instruction per clock cycle so comparison should be with a 700Mhzish x86 processor laptop. Also many other factors affect performance including bus speed, buffer sizes and device driver efficiency. I have occasionally had some pixelation on channels, but this is a new evolving box and in the few months since release has proved superior in all aspects to my TM800HD. I've even had it recording 4 SD channels simultaneously. A typical channel stream requires about 4Mb/s max to record and this box writes to an external (Buffalo) usb disk at more than twice the speed of the TM800.
root@qboxhd# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 68 MB in 0.51 seconds = 134303 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads: 53 MB in 3.03 seconds = 17857 kB/s
root@qboxhd#

and TM800HD
/ # hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 36 MB in 0.52 seconds = 69731 kB/s <<< REAR USB
Timing buffered disk reads: 31 MB in 3.08 seconds = 10285 kB/s
/ # hdparm -Tt /dev/sdb1

/dev/sdb1:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 34 MB in 0.51 seconds = 67203 kB/s <<< INTERNAL SATA
Timing buffered disk reads: 20 MB in 3.08 seconds = 6637 kB/s
/ #

Yes it comes with cccam and oscam.

Hi,

This is quite a simple decision if you want to regret your selection in a few days buy a TM800HD. :nopity:

If you want a box thats rocks save a bit more cash and buy a VU duo, you can watch it and sleep at night....

:classic:

Orignal DM recievers are mega expensive for what they are but the software support is the best of any Linux recivers on the market hence the software devleopmkent costs are added by Dream to the retial price. You will not find any Linux reciever with the same userbase, software support, plugin range, choice of images from recognised devleopment teams (PLi, Nemesis, DreamElite, Nabilo, All-Russian, iCvs, PeterPan,, Domica etc etc).

Clone Dm800HD historically suffered from tuner issues but this has been resolved with the Rev M tuner, and they are now very stable and priced at around 110 pounds cannot be beaten for price/performance. The new Cone 800SE units are now also out with faster 400mhz CPU for around 150 pounds.

Most other Linux recievers including VU Solo, DUO are arguably Dreambox clones/Wannabes using existing Dream codebabses, and similar Broadcom chipsets so they dont have to write their own software. This said VU DUO is reported to have good software support with VIX Team, Blackhole team etc. Still pricey though at 350 quid, VU solo is way overpriced for a single tuner reciever. I dont own a VU so cant really comment. But for a dual tuner Enigma 2 box, these are the benchmark for a non-clone box. But with a quad tuner capable DM8000 available for the same price and superior hardware spec I would priobably go for the clone Dm8000 instead.

QBox Mini may well be the dark horse here...very well priced for a Enigma 2 twin tuner reciever with most advertised features working as advertised...only thing is software support seems to be lacking earlky days yet, only a single image available. But well worth a look. I may be looking at one of these in the future, also no support for internal SATA discs which is a bit of a shame, also not convinced the CPU/hardware spec is up to scratch against the competition.

TM800HD...the less said the better, the fact that the Qbox Mini can come to market with majority of features working as advertised and a TM800HD even after over 1 year since release isnt even close...says it all.

There are several images for the Qbox mini, including one from the forum starred out of my earlier post. There are also a number of skins, and being of italian origin, they are strong on presentation layer. The current software level is QBoxMini version 0.0.59 which is indicative that Duolabs consider it a pre-production level; (1.0.0) is a normal production release but even at that level everything works. The box comes with an 88 page manual.

A nice feature is that the operating system is on an external usb stick in one of the three usb slots. This has several advantages; ample storage space for skins and addons, multiple systems just by a simple stick change, performance enhancement by using a faster usb stick (saw a 32Gb class 10 for £20 on MyMemory yesterday). Software upgrade is real simple, just put a stick with the new archived image in a slot, reboot and wait for the setup wizard. The external only usb storage would have put me off in the past but with the new self-powered usb disks this is no longer an issue, and we are testing network recording to NAS boxes.

Last edited:

I don't know why you have ruled out the Vu+ Solo/Duo/Uno they have something the tm800 and qbox mini hd will never have is great support

The qbox mini is a great twin tuner box for the price but it has a couple of problems its not got cccam support/very slow booting/not the easiest box to set up/lack of images

The tm800 is 14 months old and only really has one image and that still has big flaws after all this time and support is dire

i would also consider the et5000 at around £219 and is on a par with a VU+ Uno for less money

I'm only ruling out Vu+ because of the price tag.
jimux confirms that qbox does support cccam
ET5000 seems good but for 219 quid it only has a single tuner...not sure about how good the community support is...

I guess the final showdown is between
DM800HD (great community support but single tuner) versus Qbox HD (twin tuner but relatively new box with slightly less support)

I don't know why you have ruled out the Vu+ Solo/Duo/Uno they have something the tm800 and qbox mini hd will never have is great support

The qbox mini is a great twin tuner box for the price but it has a couple of problems its not got cccam support/very slow booting/not the easiest box to set up/lack of images

The tm800 is 14 months old and only really has one image and that still has big flaws after all this time and support is dire

i would also consider the et5000 at around £219 and is on a par with a VU+ Uno for less money

Quick question regarding twin tuner :

If I have a single wire running from the dish, can I split it into two to feed the two tuner inputs of a receiver or do I need to have two dedicated wires running from the dish to the receiver?

Quick question regarding twin tuner :

If I have a single wire running from the dish, can I split it into two to feed the two tuner inputs of a receiver or do I need to have two dedicated wires running from the dish to the receiver?

For full functionality then you will need two m8 ;)

You cant split satellite cable/feeds

Back