Time for me to spend money again,

Kommander

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've told sky to go take a run and jump so I am wanting a Twin Tuner to take over the work and I'll rest my Skybox and DM800se for a while.
Right so I have a choice...
The all new TM Twin OE or a VU DUO Clone

Here's the question (especially to Digidude) if you hade the choice between the 2 which would you buy. Also please take into consideration I am used to the Nemesis Rahmaher style image on my DM with the Catseye channel list so it would be best if they worked.
Your usefull thoughts will be helpful and Digidudes very much so as his answers have bought my last few boxes.
So please help, what are your opinions and what box would keep me from asking silly questions here all the time?

Im 99% sure Digi wouldn't entertain a clone mate so he would advise either spending more on a original Duo or buy a Twin

Im sure the Twin owners will advise you further

there has although been alot of positive feedback on the vu+ clones, i myself would like the vu+ duo and will not hesitate in buying a clone, although the vu duo2 is due to launch this month some ill wait to see what price the then superseded duo will retail at.

Having owned and read about tm and i own a vu-duo original i would recommend the duo original and after my brief encounter with the tm albeit not a twin i would sooner not watch tv than buy another tm. Im sure there are images for the vu of the flavour your looking for. It runs almost identical in set up ie plugins ipks etc to the dreamboxes e2.
Spend wisely my friend and buy a duo original they are solid and stable (touch wood so far)

I have read people having issues with the twin on other forums, even with the long awaited ViX image
as they have a lesser member base nothing much is said, if the same had been posted on DW all hell would break loose

if you do your homework Im sure you will find the info, fingers crossed you will get some honest reviews :)

look at the support, look how long the support lasts, you are spending a lot of money so you want to be sure the support is there and the company dont just bring out new boxes to forget the previous ones

do your homework :) that is the advice I would give

I have always trusted this forum as being the most honest when yo ask a question about a TM (if you read between the posts so to speak) as you get TM owners telling there true experiences and you can trust them (if heir post count is high enough) HAving looked about I am struggling actually finding a VU Clone as they are all saying Original for a DUO in roughly the same price bracket as the TM.
So can someone tell me...
1. What price range are the clones in?
2. What price is a Duo original?
3. How can I tell a clone?
4. Is Digi no longer here?

Thanks

Last edited:
Im still here, even virtual antibiotics wont get rid of me lol

i believe the duo clones are around £180, but as rat pointed out, i personally would not recommend a clone to anyone. there are pictures of the clones and originals side by side, highlighting differences, but, the main way to tell, would be the price itself. people try and disguise this by selling them as 'Original Vu+ Duo CE' which is Chinese Edition, or, a clone.

Original Duos cost around £270 depending on where you get them from, with the TM-TWIN roughly the same price.

Ive been running a TM-TWIN as main viewing for nearly a month now (between my missus house and my own) using the last vix based backup image that i also uploaded. it HAS crashed and locked up on me, maybe 2 or 3 times in that time, the screen goes black, nothing responds to the remote or button presses on the receiver, but, a quick off/on at the back sorts it, but, i also have random issues with my duo, such as usb and hdd vanishing on their own, again, a quick reset sorts it out

the twin does things faster than my duo (as it has more memory) it also seems a lot more stable when using 1Channel plugin than my duo, but, my duo will use a nova dvb-t stick, whereas trying to install it on the twin leaves the receiver totally unuseable and needing a complete reflash to recover it

image wise, with the duo, theres images from openpli, vix, blackhole and others and numerous backups from many people and places, with the twin, theres images from vix, (unofficial) openpli, aaf, persian prince, 4D and backups that people have made and uploaded

in my opinion, a tm-twin and an ORIGINAL duo are as good as each other now when using things like the ViX image on them, they use the same plugins, download from the same server and are supported by the same people, there will be slight differences in one or 2 of the plugins etc, but theyre too close to call between them, the main decider would be the support record from as many places as possible, which would probably have one outcome lol ;)

There is also a Vu+ Duo LE version which is also a original but twice the price of the standard Duo as it was made as a Limited Edition White version and only 300 were ever made.

same hardware inside as a standard Duo just with a brushed aluminium facia and a white shell instead of the standard black one.

here are a few snaps of mine alongside my uno before it was moved into the Dev room with the others.

Attachments

• 2012-11-01 16.33.42-1.jpg
    2012-11-01 16.33.42-1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 2012-11-01 16.33.55.jpg
    2012-11-01 16.33.55.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 2012-11-01 16.35.17.jpg
    2012-11-01 16.35.17.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 2012-11-01 16.37.43.jpg
    2012-11-01 16.37.43.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
Nice...... :)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

If you got the money then stay away from clone and get TM twin or Duo orig I have both and dont have problems with either of them using latest ViX image.

@ anyone who knows what does the round circle on front of the duo actually do other then spin around?

If you got the money then stay away from clone and get TM twin or Duo orig I have both and dont have problems with either of them using latest ViX image.

@ anyone who knows what does the round circle on front of the duo actually do other then spin around?

it's used to cycle through the channels etc.

Def buy the twin mate no doubt.
Go to WOS forum where they are bankrolled for vix images mate and you wont hear a bad word.
Many on here will gaurentee it's performance.
It's as good as or better than it's opposition lol ask anyone on here to guarentee its perfomance and you wont have anyone talk against it lol

Def buy the twin mate no doubt.
Go to WOS forum where they are bankrolled for vix images mate and you wont hear a bad word.
Many on here will gaurentee it's performance.
It's as good as or better than it's opposition lol ask anyone on here to guarentee its perfomance and you wont have anyone talk against it lol

no one bankrolls the ViX images, the WoS forum sponsor is just that a Forum sponsor. He has no say or involvement in the ViX image other than as forum sponsor. all of the time spent working on the ViX image is donated by the various members of the team, there are no financial incentives from any one.

Duo clone can be found at around the 160 mark direct from suppliers in China a V3 Duo clone is said to have started shipping this week it's not know at this point exactly what the differences about the V3 clone are theres rumours of upgraded Security module. I have a V2 Duo clone it's the the main viewing box in my house has a 500Gb Samsung 2.5" SATA drive installed. It's stable cn only ever recall seeing it crash once since i've owned it this was when I was experimenting with different images. Everything works fine PVR, timeshift, EPG to USB etc.
The issues worth mentioning with VU DUO clones are, there are reports of weak PSU's more noticable if yuo have a motorised dish or 3.5" desktop hard disk. The fans can be noisy. I have swapped my fan for a more silent Fractal fan. I havenmt had any PSU issues but I have a fixed dish.
As with both DMM and VU Clones you cant use the latest images unless they have been patched or unless they contain older drivers due to anti-clone protection in newer drivers. Not really much of an issue I dont see any killer improvements in newer images that are worth worrying about.
Dont know much about the TM-TWIN, I dont own one do some research around the net and get yourself a balanced view going on the TM Linux reciever history (produce recievers with shockingkly poor software which is never developed/bug fixed to full operation before the box is made obsolete and the TM solution is to buy/trade in against a newer model) and track record i'd rather chance it on Duo clone or if you want to avoid clones a Duo original. The Duo oriiginals have been established for years now they have a track record for good support.

Last edited:
if you in no rush then a vu+uno is worth consideration as vu are releasing a plug+play twin-tuner module supposedly pretty soon and a uno with twin module at a guess would be around the £280 mark for an original as the uno clone never materielised,regards mdt

Do you know when that option will be available MDT?
My deadline is the 8th of December 2012

if you in no rush then a vu+uno is worth consideration as vu are releasing a plug+play twin-tuner module supposedly pretty soon and a uno with twin module at a guess would be around the £280 mark for an original as the uno clone never materielised,regards mdt

You can buy an original vu duo latest model with free next day delivery for £279 from wos or ebay .

Have you considered the gigablue quad. 1.3 ghz CPU as opposed to the 400 mhz.

If you are splashing the cash, might as well as go for latest.

Back