That old Clone 500T BBC, UTV & C4 problem.

im going to try a 214 and a 222 downconverter on monday so ill definetly know then if the if 622 is gone or not

just an update i tried a 222mhz downconverter today and it works no problem bar the missing bbc 1 + 2,c4,utv and setanta sports 1 and sky sports news,so it had to have been downconverter that was f*cked the last day

How much gain deliver the parts.
Should be written to the sticker.

There should be a writing like gain 32 db. If the IF662 downconverter deliver less gain or much more than the other one that could be the reason for problems.

the chorus 1 im looking at in front of me is 30db and thats a 214 the 1 i used in my mates was a 222,the if622 has a gain of 38

A too strong signal give problems and 8 db more could be the problem for the if622 one.
You could try an variable attenuator..

yeah might try that but havent heard from anyone else who uses a if 622 what is there gain on the if 622 that they have?my signal strenght was 98- 99% then who drop down and the ber would shoot up and after a few mins back to normal and then back to nothing and signal strenght with the if 222 is 99 but it holds it could it just have been a bad if 622?

The whole thing is based on the distance to the transmitter.
If you are based near the transmitter the aerial collect more signal strength and the amp generate a stronger signal.
If you are based more at the border of a covered mmds aera the 8db extra gain is maybe not bad.
If you don't own an variable attenuator you could try to fit an 2way splitter between power inserter and box. That would decrease the signal strength at around 3db.

hi glic38

hi glic38.i see you are still not sorted.i had a bit of bother the other day with the downconverter the same as you.i had a long run of cable the signal was going up and down missing channels.so what i did is take out the old cable and got a good quality cable.all sorted realy good signal now.

Last edited:
im using a quality cable, and its a straight run to the power inserter,as said earlier when i changed the downconverter it works no problem so i know there is nothing wrong with the cable

glic83 hello

hi glic83.i will give you another downconverter if you want to try.there cant be anything wrong with the downconverters because they are new.

ill be setting one up in another mates house shortly and ill try it there and let you know,im not saying it is/isnt f*cked as mgb sad it could have been to close to the transmitter i will try it out and ill let you know

Last edited:
judging by the amount of views and replies this thread got there are a lot of us MMDS users out there
I have moved on my 500Ts and upgraded to the 600T, the clone 500Ts are just not good enough
I went thru all the head wrecking and purchasing bits and bobs to try and fix the issue and then figured it was best to save my time and spend the money on getting the genuine article, the 600T.....I recommend all to do the same, they are a very nice box..

on another note, I had everything set up on a second hand -horus aerial I acquired, just stuck out my window bedroom window on the clothes line pole and it was perfect, signal always solid at 99snr and 56agc and 0 ber

then I got them in to upgrade us from old cable to digital and they put up their aerial, stuck it on the side of the house and the signal has been shite since..........98snr, 48agc and fluctuating ber...sorry I didn't just cancel the old cable and leave up my own set-up free of charge

I stayed with them as I agree that we should at least pay them for a basic service and then do our magic afterwards........after all we need them as much as they need us.......

Hi guys ,

Just moved into a new house and got the upc mmds installed .I was about to order a new 500T or 600T for the sports channels - when I said i would try my old 500C (clone) from my last house which was on true cable ..low and belold when expecting no channels - I have managed to get nearly all - the only one currently missing is Satanta 2...might be 1 or 2 others..just wondering if anyone else has got a 500C 2 work on mmds !
Happy with this result - saves me forking out for a new dream...!!:banana:

id say you are ntl mmds which requires a c type tunner not a t,only chor*s requires a t type tunner, where are you based?

Close to Galway city- yep was an Ntl area i think - lucky I tried this as i sure i needed a 500T for mmds and was about 2 order 1 !

its lucky you didnt order one as it would be no good to you and you would be left with a box to do nothing with,dont know why but ntl mmds uses a c type tunner and chorus uses a t

Back