Smokers!

LOL all these "hard men" pmsl, what are you lot on, you are no different from the rest of us, when the ban comes in and is enforced, you will all stop, either that you will stump up a fortune in fines, and remember, the pub, club, taxi are doing what they are told to day when they ask you not to smoke, so don't give them a hard time..

Enforced? And how exactly are they going to "enforce" it?

Would that be the same way as the using a mobile phone while driving is 'enforced'?
Or the hunting ban that is 'enforced'?

I don't disagree that it will be pro-actively banned for a while but it will never be enforced.

Its not so much a law that the police will get involved in,its more of a law that they want to pit people vs people. They will be relying on non-smokers to grass smokers!

Its already been stated that inspectors,police etc. won't target the individual but the place they are doing it in.So if you ARE caught in a pub smoking its not the individual who will be fined. Now personally I think thats wrong but what can you do? If you've got a gang of blokes who are built like brick shithouses determined to smoke then ?????. The police won't get involved.
I DON'T disagree with the ban but in principal.I disagree with the fact that there has been no middle ground with it.

I smoke myself (poxy adiction) and i still think that smoking in restraunts is wrong' but pubs should be smoking or non smoking ! giving a choice to people.

Also this not smoking in a van or work car is total bullshit this constitutes a breach of our human rights, smoking is recognised as an adiction and therefore is not done pureley though choice for most smokers, i think there will be some other ill effects felt by inocent people getting into fights and worse through arguments about this in the near future.

I agree with banning it in food places and in offices where there are many workers in close proximety but to ban it in your own (or work) vehicle takes the piss.

Welcome to little (old) russia.

i been off the cigs 5 days not findin it hard one bit not even used any thing to help me a long what so ever but been a ex smoker i can see why people are so peed off about the ban the local pub were i some times go they are sposed to be getting there beer garden done for smokers and they have not even botherd what so ever a few places have not made it a smoke friendly place i think at the end of the day just other way of getting money out of you's

There will always be a few ...

The smoking ban is aiming at the majority, and is trying to change peoples habits. There will always be some places that smoking will continue (particularly lock-ins, after hours - that has become quite popular in Ireland, where the locals can have a pint and a smoke indoors, as long as the local police don't come a knocking).

Anyway, if 90+% adhere to the ban, then it will be a success. You will just have to wait and see???

I am 7 weeks clean now - smoked 15 a day for 15 years! did the step 2 patches for a week then went clean - was derading it but turned out to be much easier that i thought it would be

just a quick question please

to people in ireland and scotland

since the smoking ban are the pubs and clubs still busy or have the emptyed out since the ban have many closed down ?
do you get many people come out side of night clubs or pubs in the towns for a fag then go back in again ?

just a quick question please

to people in ireland and scotland

since the smoking ban are the pubs and clubs still busy or have the emptyed out since the ban have many closed down ?
do you get many people come out side of night clubs or pubs in the towns for a fag then go back in again ?

Didn't you see the prog a couple weeks back? Many bingo halls and clubs are closing down, surely this will have a knock-on effect on the economy.

what i dont understand is why cant they just have smoking pubs and non smoking bubs, that would solve a lot of problems and they could phase them out over time. im not looking forward to going to the pub and having to keep going outside all the time.

Well i am glad smoking has been banned. Hopefully this will significantly reduce the amount of youngsters smoking. i have seen kids aged 10-11 on the streets smoking. i know this ban wont stop people smoking but will reduce many youngsters starting and adults smoking in public places.

If all you smokers realy think about it.. It may also save you some money and improve your health. Never really seen the point of smoking any way...

I have seen no difference at all in Belfast clubs, smokers go outside, they have sheltered areas for us. Its no big deal even when its cold and raining, I smoke less then, my wife thinks its great because she doesnt come home from the club with her clothes smelling of smoke.

For all the big men out there who are going to kill dead things.......you will stop smoking in the pubs/clubs or you wont be there...simple. The pub/club will enforce it. You can rant and rave all you want to but you will have to go outside to smoke.

one way to get round the smoking ban is to turn your pub into a embassy, one landlord has done it for a remote caribean island, so its now classed as foreign land, so tax free drinks and no smokin ban.

If the ban persuades people to give up smoking en masse...and the proposed half pint max limit of alcohol will mean that we won't even be able to drink more than a half bottle of wine at home and then drive to work next day...may also mean more people abstaining...than where the fwiggin he** is the lost millions of tax going to come from?

Smokers tax revenue (I am told) already pays for the NHS and half of the education budget....so where is 'greedy Gordon mk2' going to squeeze the blood ..sorry... money from?

thats easy, they'll up the petrol prices!!!! and a few more speed cameras!

I found this interesting article:

Your savings

As the UK's smokers mull the impending ban on lighting up in public, one incentive to stub out their last fag is the potential profits to be made from investing their ciggy money in the markets instead. "With the typical packet of fags costing £5.40, a twenty-a-day smoker is blowing around £165 a month - and that's assuming the matches are gratis," says F&C's Jason Hollands. "Just storing the cash in a piggy bank would collect a tidy sum of £1,980 a year but had the money had been invested in a monthly savings scheme with Foreign & Colonial Investment Trust over the last 12 months, you'd now be sitting on a pot of £2,460. That's more than enough to buy plenty of patches and a subscription to a fancy health club."

The full story here

I know it goes on about how much you could save etc etc etc.
If you're like me, all the money saved goes on other things, I honestly couldn't afford to smoke now.

i'm a smoker and almost totally agree with the ban, people shouldn't have to put up with smoke if they are in a closed place, such as a pub/club, or in close proximity, say at a football match. What really grinds my gears though is that i am not allowed to smoke in my own van at work! i'm still going to mind, i dont give a crap.

on a completely different subject, has ray got an itchy "thanking" finger? litteraly every post until his own has been thanked by him!

I will stress again.....trust me smokers, it really is no big deal, if your pub/club values you then they will provide a shelter and in some cases heated area, I have been to Hotels in Dublin where they have those outdoor patio heaters to keep their customers. I do smoke less but dont save money, just put more in the poker machine......lol

If it helps any, the way I stopped was by this book.

Everytime I picked up a cgt, the Mrs blatted me across the head with it :)

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0140277633]Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking[/ame]

It costs roughly the same as a packet of cig's
If you stop for a day, the book has paid for itself, so nothing to lose there.

This guy was a 100 a day chain-smoker who went from 100 to 0 a day painlessly & without patches/crutches etc.
he was that succesful in helping people stop smoking, he was able to open 70 non-smoking clinics in over 70 countries.

To be honest, I took 2 x reads of the book to help me kick it.
He asks you to smoke while reading it, doesn't give any lectures how smoking is bad for you etc (there are already enough of them around).

This is an intelligent & simple approach to giving up.
Most people (if they're honest) are scared to give up as the withdrawal pangs are too painful.

Ask yourself this...do you wake up screaming in pain after a 12 hour sleep because you haven't had your fix? Of course you don't.

Anyway, for the price of a pack of 20, you could transform your & your families lives, it really is that effective.

Of course, In the end, it's up to you.
Give it some thought though.

p.s.
I'm not on commission :)

the smoking ban came into play in cardiff (wales) begining of april, as a non smoker i find it better as i always hated coming home stinking of smoke from a night out. The health issues for the ban in smoking in public areas is a good thing but i believe regarding clubs, people go there to drink and isnt that just as bad for your health especially when your slaughtered lol

Went to blackpool a few weeks back and forgot smaking was still aloud, felt wierd to be in a room full of smokers, you do get used to it mind.

Back