Never sell to friends or family...

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I mean really don't, it becomes a right royal PITA....

I've tried to be patient, nice and helpful but things are testing my patience to a level that is beyond most people I think...

My mates dad is 85, his PC is 8-9 years old.....He's still spritely, active, not slow and has his wits about him (so to me quite a young 85 year old)

I've been out to it 3 times to try to fix it (lots of script issues, programs crashing, camera freezing, active desktop recovery keeps popping up, his icons disappear and it just generally runs like sh*t), and if I'm honest it was ready for the bin 5 years ago. It's running XP (it did have 95 on it) with a early Sempron CPU and 1GB of memory, to do anything on it takes an age (literally). It can take 5-6 minutes just to open notepad, it's probably one of the oldest and slowest PC's I've had the misfortune to work on, not to mention the thing was riddled with malware/spyware. I think i rebuilt it several years ago and even then it took almost a full day just to get windows and a few apps on.

His lad called me again the other day, and i explained to him I that I don't know what else to do short of a rebuild, but it isn't worth doing it, never mind the time it would take me. So I had an old(ish) PC, but significantly better than his other I was going to stick it on Gumtree but his lad asked if I could build/sell it to his dad..

No problem, did him it cheapish, but with the expectation I would be at his house for a short while (an hour tops) to add in his printer, camera and copy over his mail. I setup Windows Live mail for him (as he was using hotmail) and he seemed to be ok with it when i showed him. Next thing is he didn't like it and wanted to know why i wasn't like express (although the layout isn't that disimilar). I setup Thunderbird. He Didn't like it, I downloaded Office 2007, he didn't like it and wanted Office XP. I tried to dissuade him from that given it's age and said it wouldn't be much different anyway. I also had to copy over a load of data, and do some other setup bits that he wanted. He wanted to know if he could have is "old" icons. I set that up for him, but he wanted it to say "The Internet" "Email" etc, he didn't like the Scanner/Printer Icon....etc.

He wanted it to scan to email, Windows Live Mail doesn't support it. So he says he wants Outlook Express, I try to explain again why he can't have it.

Long story short, 5.5 hours later (Saturday) i decided to call it a day, because he simply did my head in, I couldn't concentrate and I was basically trying to hard to please to "make it like it was". He dislikes change, and because it didn't operate EXACTLY like XP or the programs had been updated he didn't like it, neither could he grasp the concept that Outlook Express is no longer available, or that the printer software I've installed had been updated (slightly newer interface, features and icons). He kept asking me if he had that new Windows 7, because he likes that....so you can imagine my confusion.

So I went home, spent most of my evening trying to get things to work properly, updated it to Office 2010 as I had some issues with the Outlook Connector for hotmail (which was another issue). Tested it all, hey presto "scan to email" works, leaves him a note on his desktop explaining everything I did.

I then gets a call at 10:30 from his lad to say his dads not happy, he can't scan to email and doesn't have Outlook Express, and now he can't write to CD (despite me explaining it didn't have a CD/DVD writer, but was told it doesn't matter because he doesn't use one). He got the jist that i was a tad frustrated and I tries to explain that I can't make it do something that is no longer supported in Live Mail, but it's working fine as far as I'm aware in Outlook 2010, so if he want's it to do it differently, I don't know what he means, but he can have XP and the old versions of software, but it would mean me rebuilding it again and setting everything up. He didn't want me to do that....

I mean I know he's old, but really it's taking the pi$$, if this was anyone else or it was sold on Gumtree, it would be "sorry, you buy a PC, not technical support for it's lifetime....................." or for me to spend the best part of a full day "setting it up".

I'm on the verge of saying, here's your money back, I'll set your old PC back up for you, but you will need to take it somewhere that can rebuild it.

Last edited:
Being old dosen't equate to being nice as as pie, if they were a pain at 18 chances are they will be worse at 85.
I hope you made an image when complete, for easy reinstall. :)

The other one I forgot to add, was that he asked me how much it would be if he bought him a new PC rather than that one. Again tried to explain that it didn't really matter if it was that or new, he would have the exact same issues with it if not more because it would be Windows 8 and the interface is significantly different.

Sometimes I despair...

I should have just let him and make it someone elses issue, but I'm sure somehow it would have been my problem.

"Never sell to friends or family"

Never more sound advice given. :)

Don't work for, or employ them either. ;)

I'm on the verge of saying, here's your money back, I'll set your old PC back up for you, but you will need to take it somewhere that can rebuild it.

hows about saying "here's your money back, I'll set your old PC back up for you, shouldn't take more than day, and i will do it cheap say........ £10 an hour or i could pop it into a repair shop but they will charge £20 an hour."

see if he gets used to his new icons then.. ;)

Nightmare:NoNo: friends or family are a right pain. Been there also.

It's not just selling. I help an elderly lady in my village with her computer and she hates it when anything changes - like hotmail did to outlook. A lot of older folk just don't get how computers work and are easily confused. This woman, for instance, calls her webcam Skpe and no matter how much I try to get her to understand the difference between software, the Internet and hardware she always forgets.

Takes a lot of patience and a fair bit of skill to explain what will and won't work.

Wipe the system then install this

Suicide Linux @ Things Of Interest

The see how he holds up with that....

Seriously though explain that times change, software updates and he must adapt with, sound like they're taking you for a c*nt mate....

On the flip side it is nice to see people helping the elderly even if they are cantancerus. Good on you Exos :)

I don't for one minute think its deliberate, he's nice enough, and i do have a lot of time for him. He just doesn't understand no matter how much i explain, and his lad (my mate) has said he doesn't like change, to which i replied that i cant do anything about that.

Last edited:
give his money back and refer him to PC World -- then he might appreciate your efforts -- have the same problem with family expecting everything for nowt . You have more patience than me LOL

I just stopped selling anything to family and friends. I sold a lawnmower once to an older uncle. I had to tell him politely to F off when he asked me to give his back garden a trim with it, and he meant it.

Blimey, sounds like a nightmare!

I stopped building machines for family ages ago. It is just too much hassle. They expect you to be 24hr support!

The frustrated phonecalls I used to have with them, at the same time trying to be patient. Something simple as unzipping a file seems to be the equivalent of answering questions on Mastermind

been there and done all that, you do have more patience than i would have had tbh.

I have in the past when doing a similar upgrade of hardware, old machine to a slightly newer machine the guy didnt know anything about pc's but he did know cars, i just stopped after a while and said i cant do its.....what your asking me to do is your old anglia over there (old pc) is past it and you are asking me to make this Focus (new pc) look like the Anglia it just isn't gonna happen.

20 minute later i was out the door, he then understood why it had to be..

They should teach you the Family & Friends rule at school!

Even giving something away to them can cause more problems than it is bloody worth! I have now learned when a friend/family member tells me about a new piece of kit or a new hack etc... to play dumb and go 'Oh, I do not know about that'..
BUT then you get them telling there new supplier/helper "My Son didn't know about this" and they think your past it on the scene lol

In your case, you probably have a bad name in that circle now when it comes to upgrading etc... So chances are when he is telling his mates down the Club, they wont call on you ;)

very true friends and family are a nightmare they have your phone number they know where you live
i used to get this a lot working in retail when seling they think they can have it for next to nowt do not want delivery or set up as you can drop it off when you finish work .
i used to add at this point yes i have finished work when i knock off and am no longer getting paid just because they know you regardless of the fact you are only an employee they want the world and his dog and still can not get there head round what you are trying to politely say to them eventually you give in and do it so they get want they want a little bit off free delivery and set up but thats not it ohhh no
all of a sudden you get a phone call late at night or a knock at the door or worse still down the pub having a quite pint and you will still get you know that and i think we all know how the rest goes
no wonder when i was in retail it seemed natural to drink a lot and take the odd illegal substance to make you feel normal
god help you poor sods who are self employed it must be worse

god help you poor sods who are self employed it must be worse

Fook off lol

But yes, it can be hard dealing with 'seniors' but I'll finish off a job tomorrow that saved them getting ripped big-style.

Please, no BS about bragging and shoite, lots of people in the village have helped me so I'm just doing the decent thing and giving a bit back.

:)

I mean really don't, it becomes a right royal PITA....

I've tried to be patient, nice and helpful but things are testing my patience to a level that is beyond most people I think...

My mates dad is 85, his PC is 8-9 years old.....He's still spritely, active, not slow and has his wits about him (so to me quite a young 85 year old)

I've been out to it 3 times to try to fix it (lots of script issues, programs crashing, camera freezing, active desktop recovery keeps popping up, his icons disappear and it just generally runs like sh*t), and if I'm honest it was ready for the bin 5 years ago. It's running XP (it did have 95 on it) with a early Sempron CPU and 1GB of memory, to do anything on it takes an age (literally). It can take 5-6 minutes just to open notepad, it's probably one of the oldest and slowest PC's I've had the misfortune to work on, not to mention the thing was riddled with malware/spyware. I think i rebuilt it several years ago and even then it took almost a full day just to get windows and a few apps on.

His lad called me again the other day, and i explained to him I that I don't know what else to do short of a rebuild, but it isn't worth doing it, never mind the time it would take me. So I had an old(ish) PC, but significantly better than his other I was going to stick it on Gumtree but his lad asked if I could build/sell it to his dad..

No problem, did him it cheapish, but with the expectation I would be at his house for a short while (an hour tops) to add in his printer, camera and copy over his mail. I setup Windows Live mail for him (as he was using hotmail) and he seemed to be ok with it when i showed him. Next thing is he didn't like it and wanted to know why i wasn't like express (although the layout isn't that disimilar). I setup Thunderbird. He Didn't like it, I downloaded Office 2007, he didn't like it and wanted Office XP. I tried to dissuade him from that given it's age and said it wouldn't be much different anyway. I also had to copy over a load of data, and do some other setup bits that he wanted. He wanted to know if he could have is "old" icons. I set that up for him, but he wanted it to say "The Internet" "Email" etc, he didn't like the Scanner/Printer Icon....etc.

He wanted it to scan to email, Windows Live Mail doesn't support it. So he says he wants Outlook Express, I try to explain again why he can't have it.

Long story short, 5.5 hours later (Saturday) i decided to call it a day, because he simply did my head in, I couldn't concentrate and I was basically trying to hard to please to "make it like it was". He dislikes change, and because it didn't operate EXACTLY like XP or the programs had been updated he didn't like it, neither could he grasp the concept that Outlook Express is no longer available, or that the printer software I've installed had been updated (slightly newer interface, features and icons). He kept asking me if he had that new Windows 7, because he likes that....so you can imagine my confusion.

So I went home, spent most of my evening trying to get things to work properly, updated it to Office 2010 as I had some issues with the Outlook Connector for hotmail (which was another issue). Tested it all, hey presto "scan to email" works, leaves him a note on his desktop explaining everything I did.

I then gets a call at 10:30 from his lad to say his dads not happy, he can't scan to email and doesn't have Outlook Express, and now he can't write to CD (despite me explaining it didn't have a CD/DVD writer, but was told it doesn't matter because he doesn't use one). He got the jist that i was a tad frustrated and I tries to explain that I can't make it do something that is no longer supported in Live Mail, but it's working fine as far as I'm aware in Outlook 2010, so if he want's it to do it differently, I don't know what he means, but he can have XP and the old versions of software, but it would mean me rebuilding it again and setting everything up. He didn't want me to do that....

I mean I know he's old, but really it's taking the pi$$, if this was anyone else or it was sold on Gumtree, it would be "sorry, you buy a PC, not technical support for it's lifetime....................." or for me to spend the best part of a full day "setting it up".

Why not make a backup, after setting it up?

Back