Grimeire

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone recommend a smart bulb?

the only requirements it needs is to be:
1). cheap
2). controlled via by phone without a hub or other device.

For when you are out?

yeah and so i dont have to walk across the room to turn off the light. having multiple colours would be cool too but i have no interest in connecting them to alexa, echo or similar.

I have only just spotted that the Phillips hues are only like £15 but am seeing contrasting info on whether they need a hub online.

thanks.

Is there any added benefit to having smart lights that require a smart hub?

Also is B22 the standard light type for UK/Ireland seems the majorty of bulbs dn't come in that size. I was looking at the Xiaomi bulbs but they dont have them in B22 socket.

I think B22 socket is Bayonet the others are screw ins
when i got my hive i got screw ins first but just bought a pair of these to use on the ceiling fitting
B22 To ES E27

These are the ones i got>>
£1.59

You can pick which type you want from the GearBest link i posted
B22 & E27 are UK standard
B22 main light fittings, E27 you`ll find in lamps

Bulb.png

Last edited:
Those bayonet to screw in bulbs take ages to get here Estimated delivery: Thu, 6 Sep–Fri, 5 Oct .

Thanks guys the bulbs that @Joe Noodles recommended are great and really cheap.

Attachments

• viber image 2019-03-25 , 15.44.24.jpg
    viber image 2019-03-25 , 15.44.24.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 6
  • viber image 2019-03-25 , 15.44.23.jpg
    viber image 2019-03-25 , 15.44.23.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 7
I’ve just seen this thread and since I have some experience with the Philips Hues, I would definitely recommend these. I would not go as far as saying they are cheap. However, they are not expensive for a good brand like Philips. Prices vary depending on what you want. However, as an example, you can get a warm white E27 (standard Edison screw) Hue bulb for around a tenner on eBay. They come in varying specifications depending on what you want and are available in bayonet, Edison screw, and GU10 fittings. A good place to see what’s available is from their site (Smart Bulbs | Philips Hue), and as has already been stated, an adapter to go from one fitting type to another can solve any incompatibility with regards to fitting type. For example, if you wanted to go from E14 (small Edison screw) to E27 or GU10 to bayonet, you would just search this in eBay or the like and you will find they are very inexpensive. To clarify, yes to be able to automate via your phone or tablet, you DO need a hub (what Philips call a smart bridge, which retail for about £40-50), but bear in mind that up to 50 lamps can be connected to it, so you can more or less automate most of your home lighting needs on one bridge, unless of course you live in a mansion, where the cost of purchasing additional smart bridges should not be a financial issue anyway. You will need a hub anyway if you want to automate with your phone/tablet as this is how your phone/tablet/smart device communicates with the setup installed in your home.

Here are some pictures of the setup in my bedroom:

I also have some in my kitchen and am planning to add more as time goes by. I would highly recommend this bit of kit if you are looking for some good quality lighting automation at a reasonable price tag. Hope that helps!

Likewise I know this is an old thread but some recent replies.
I have the hive lighting which is Ok but utterly frustrating when someone manually turns a switch on.

The Philips hue switches to me are ugly and they don’t seem to do double or triple gang switches.

I have thus looked at the switches posted in this thread but Just not 100% sure on the wiring and things like slave / master switches on the hall stairs and landings etc.

Ones I am therefore drawn to are lightwaverf but they need a bridge and they are a lot more expensive.

This topic is a minefield and really struggling to see best options.

Back