SKY HD Channels GONE - Is This The End Of Sky HD and Card Share C/S

They're compressed to within an inch of their lives, maybe not all but for an example I watched Sly Sports F1 in SD at the weekend, and it just looked so bad. Obviously this is subjective, but it's not just the resolution that's lower, the picture quality is also reduced... it makes analogue TV look good! Still, better than nowt I suppose.

I noticed a big improvement in SD picture quality when I switched to an SH4 chipset receiver like the Alien 2 ,it does wonders with low bitrates .
It makes a big difference on a large set .Obviously some Sd channels will still look poor but I can now watch football, tennis and even golf in sd something that was ghastly to do on a Mips receiver.

Problem for some of us is that the SD versions are on a footprint which we can't receive whereas the HD ones are
indeed I took out a HD sub for my legitimate subscription in order to watch them on the dreambox and can no longer do so
and when I put the card back in the genuine box, it says its the wrong one and it won't pair because it says the box is too old.

So despite having a legit sub and not using cs no CH5 tonight. Which I am actually paying for ...

Easier to list what is actually left:

Film 4 HD
TCM HD
Sly 3D
BT Sport 1 HD
BT Sport 2 HD
ESPN HD
Boxnation HD
Sly News HD

I wonder if Sly will Shoot them self in the foot and hit Sly 3D channel.

Some people out there watch 3D PPV stuff, buy over the phone.

Just glad I have 80/20 Fibre !!!!

Ripping an entire series in HD takes a matter of minutes, and that is a series not yet available on Sky UK...
All streams via a nice EPG/Menu system setup on my TV ..... who needs sky ;-) (But you do need a fookin big HDD)

The only channel that goes on is whatever channel the young un watches spongebob on !!!!

There's a hell of a lot of clever people out there, I'm sure this will be back before we know it.

it was pretty bad wasn't it. I had to switch to ss hd Germany.no commentary but just streamed f1uk so listened to that. was fine QUOTE=Jellyboon;2437161]They're compressed to within an inch of their lives, maybe not all but for an example I watched Sly Sports F1 in SD at the weekend, and it just looked so bad. Obviously this is subjective, but it's not just the resolution that's lower, the picture quality is also reduced... it makes analogue TV look good! Still, better than nowt I suppose.[/QUOTE]

it was pretty bad wasn't it. I had to switch to ss hd Germany.no commentary but just streamed f1uk so listened to that. was fine
They're compressed to within an inch of their lives, maybe not all but for an example I watched Sly Sports F1 in SD at the weekend, and it just looked so bad. Obviously this is subjective, but it's not just the resolution that's lower, the picture quality is also reduced... it makes analogue TV look good! Still, better than nowt I suppose.

Indeed, after watching the practice on Friday I had a look around and Polsat Sport on 13E show all the FOM coverage, so in the end captured the audio from Sly and the video from Polsat and after some effort got the two muxed together in sync for the practice... then come Sunday I saw someone had after all capped the Quali in HD, so thought I'd wait and try their version of the race. It was better than SD, but I don't know what they had done, the image was clear but motion looked terrible now :S Heh maybe I've been spoling myself with my 50fps encodes :p

Last edited:
Problem for some of us is that the SD versions are on a footprint which we can't receive whereas the HD ones are
indeed I took out a HD sub for my legitimate subscription in order to watch them on the dreambox and can no longer do so
and when I put the card back in the genuine box, it says its the wrong one and it won't pair because it says the box is too old.

So despite having a legit sub and not using cs no CH5 tonight. Which I am actually paying for ...

aren't sky suppose to send you new box for free?

I think ive said this before but watch a bad footy stream on your laptop. Then watch a sports SD channel. You will be greatfull. I know i am

I have been living under a rock, Im only learning now why all my HD chans have been slipping away into the abyss :(

I honestly think that the sky official decoder (sky + HD) is a very very good piece of hardware, it is supplied in accordance with sky's official subscription and works flawlessly (most of the time bar technical failure etc) and is for the most part idiot proof, mum and dad proof even grandad proof, there's no such thing as "no longer available on this frequency please retune to ..... Etc) picture quality is excellent and recording is a piece of piss. Only a true satellite enthusiast needs more, if you bought a DVD player and had to flash an image to it and add codecs for this n that etc, had lip sync issues etc we wouldn't bother with it, just a loose comparison but I'm sure ye get my drift. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

How does one stream to pc from a sky hd box then?

Manage recordings from pc?

How does one stream to pc from a sky hd box then?

Manage recordings from pc?

considering you can only do this with an open sorce linux box like dreambox and not closed sorce like skybox or tm box a lot of closed sorce box users can not do this any way i have read posts from f5 users asking the same question
and you do not need to stream if you have a genuine sub you get free sky go for your lappy where you can watch anywhere with a internet connection or access it if you are in hospital on your phone or tablet but you might need a uk vpn to get round the free wi fi iavailable in hospital

considering you can only do this with an open sorce linux box like dreambox and not closed sorce like skybox or tm box a lot of closed sorce box users can not do this any way i have read posts from f5 users asking the same question
and you do not need to stream if you have a genuine sub you get free sky go for your lappy where you can watch anywhere with a internet connection or access it if you are in hospital on your phone or tablet but you might need a uk vpn to get round the free wi fi iavailable in hospital

Yes but sky go is limited to a certain number of devices and it is not a quick thing to add/remove devices without the main account holder doing it via a web CP
It is also crippled on Bitrates/quality e.t.c

I found it very choppy when I used it on a standard non fibre BB

aren't sky suppose to send you new box for free?

I think they might, however it won't operate my steerable dish and let me watch other satellites and its nowhere near as energy efficient and I can't control it with a web interface.

I think they might, however it won't operate my steerable dish and let me watch other satellites and its nowhere
near as energy efficient and I can't control it with a web interface.

Unfortunately they will still screw you over....
SKY and most companies can change T&C's whenever they feel as long as they give you written notice...

They have, and as you have chosen not to upgrade they will turn off all your HD until you do...

As much as I disagree with $ky's approach.... we can hardly blame them for this course of action.
We would all do the same if it was our company.

P.S They are still a bunch of robbing cnuts, I am by no means standing up for them and their shady practices .

True they can turn it off, but there again I can stop paying for it as I have been doing - so nobody wins.

Back